PDA

View Full Version : Koh Samed

joe552
March 3rd, 2011, 04:22
I'm planning to visit Koh Samed for a few days during my trip to Pattaya in June. Any interesting bars to visit? I know it's a small place, but what are the chances of meeting a nice boy for an evening or two?

bao-bao
March 3rd, 2011, 05:03
...what are the chances of meeting a nice boy for an evening or two?
[youtube:3lw79tva]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM-UIpxW1tc[/youtube:3lw79tva]

But seriously - it depends on so many variables. If you're only looking for company and act pleasantly I should think you might well find someone to visit with. If you're looking for an overnight guest and their favors you'd probably be safer bringing a known quantity along with you... or so stories have been shared here over the last few years, anyway.

PS - I've always liked Johnny Mathis. Wasn't it Frank Sinatra who used to joke that he was "the real African Queen"?

Dodger
March 3rd, 2011, 16:48
Joe,

There are many small bars dotting the shores in the major beach areas, although, none which I would call really interesting or unique. As one would expect, KS is an island where the primary attractions are the peace and serenity. Most of the people who hang at the bars at night our small groups of tourists - and not too many single stragglers around. This is definately a place to either bring a boy with you - or be resigned to being alone for most of your stay.

Si Keaw is the largest town on the island and draws most of the night time action, although, there is no real gay scene.

A great place to bring a thick book if you're alone. An evan better place to bring someone special if you have a desire to create your own romantic novel. The sunsets are awesome and all you hear in the morning are the sounds of waves and the ocaisional thump of a coconut hitting the sand. The most interesting aspects of the island are those which you create for yourself.

joe552
March 3rd, 2011, 18:24
Thanks for the replies, guys. In the past I've taken a 'friend' from Pattaya on trips, so I think I might wait and see what I can find locally.

I love Jonny Mathis too, bao-bao - we must be of similar vintage!

March 4th, 2011, 00:45
Forgive my lack of geographical knowledge (and jargon) - Koh Samet is the dollop of land you see on the horizon whilst toasting your bits on DongTan beach???

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Sen Yai
March 4th, 2011, 01:21
No. Thankfully Shitsville, it's environs and you toasted bits, are miles away from the shores of Koh Samet and definitely not within sight. You must be thinking of somewhere else. Koh Laan perhaps.

Jason1988
March 4th, 2011, 01:53
Koh Samed is strictly BYOB (bring your own boy) but I will say on my last visit, in September, I did meet a very nice young man to help me pass the time.

Whether you take a boy or visit solo, you will have a nice time there. I'm looking forward to another visit next year.

joe552
March 4th, 2011, 04:45
Scotty, you disappoint me - I'd always assumed you were an expert on all things Thai. As previously noted, what you're seeing from Dong Tan (?sp) is Koh Larn, where I got badly sunburned on my first visit to Thailand. Koh Samed is a little further south.

I've usually taken a companion when travelling in Thailand, but I think this time I'll take my chances - a good looking rich farang like myself should have no problem finding appropriate company. :rolling:

frequentflier
March 4th, 2011, 07:37
As there is no gay area,can you recommend a hotel that is gay friendly..The last thing one wants is tourists staring and talking behind your back.I would like to visit it but dont want to be singled out..thanks.

netrix
March 4th, 2011, 14:04
why do so many people worry about "gay friendly" hotels in thailand?
i've been in hotels with guys in 13 countries and all across the USA
and Canada and have never had any problems. Seriously, are you
guys groping boys a fourth your age in the hotel lobby or something??

and Thailand is the last place on earth where you need to worry about
a hotel being "gay friendly." relax.

MiniMee
March 4th, 2011, 14:35
..... are you guys groping boys a fourth your age in the hotel lobby or something??

I think you've just put your finger on it (no pun intended).

cdnmatt
March 4th, 2011, 14:48

I've never quite understood that either. This is Thailand, not Iran.

March 4th, 2011, 16:46

Good one Matt. There was also a post over on one of the other forums about a 'gay fishing trip' You couldn't make it up if you tried.... :sign5:

March 4th, 2011, 17:30

Quite right - "Prostitute friendly" is a FAR more important criterion.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

rincondog
March 4th, 2011, 22:57
If you happen to be there on a weekend there are usually a number of boys from Bangkok there for the weekend. I don't know if they are there with boy friends or just friends. There will be some groups just out to enjoy the beach.

March 5th, 2011, 14:00
[quote="scottish-guy"]
Quite right - "Prostitute friendly" is a FAR more important criterion.

Yes,

That will be no problem or issue at all in any Hotel because as everyone knows 'Thailand doesn't have prostitutes because it's illegal ' so you are welcome with your Thai evening companion in all hostelries. :sex:

March 5th, 2011, 14:23
Been there, Vongdeuan (moon crescent) beach, very VERY nice! Nice hotel (cottage), no noise, only birds chirping. Some noisy speed boats sometimes though. You cannot expect to meet local boys there. However, I met a young Russian, more horny than Thai boys ;-)

March 5th, 2011, 17:53
Been there, Vongdeuan (moon crescent) beach, very VERY nice! Nice hotel (cottage), no noise, only birds chirping. Some noisy speed boats sometimes though. You cannot expect to meet local boys there. However, I met a young Russian, more horny than Thai boys ;-)

MMMMM - a beach, a boy, and a cottage...

LUXURY!

Beachlover
March 6th, 2011, 20:11
No. Thankfully Shitsville, it's environs and you toasted bits, are miles away from the shores of Koh Samet and definitely not within sight. You must be thinking of somewhere else. Koh Laan perhaps.
Careful... some people don't take kindly to those who call Pattaya Shitsville. :happy7:

You're right, Scottish is talking about Koh Larn located off Pattaya. Samet isn't so easy to get to.

..... are you guys groping boys a fourth your age in the hotel lobby or something??
I think you've just put your finger on it (no pun intended).
Yep! Scottish is right too... I get it now. Some people are worried about it being "prostitute friendly" (i.e. self-conscious being seen with someone a quarter your age). I doubt it would be an issue unless you stayed at a place with lots of Western families but then it'd still be more your reaction to their attitude than them. Thailand's the last place I'd worry about being seen as a gay couple.

March 6th, 2011, 21:30
Thailand's the last place I'd worry about being seen as a gay couple.

Unlike Sydney and environs

martin911
March 7th, 2011, 23:54
I was there with some friends a few weeks ago -- stayed at jep bungaloes -1500 per nite ,right on the beach --and about 6/7 min walk from what the locals call the gay beach --- this has a big open air disco ( cant rem name ) --on fri and sat has loads of bkk boys there --easy too hook up with one of them !!
we did both nites !! -

frequentflier
March 8th, 2011, 00:49
thanks for the info..

gumblebee
March 8th, 2011, 02:34
I was there with some friends a few weeks ago -- stayed at jep bungaloes -1500 per nite ,right on the beach --and about 6/7 min walk from what the locals call the gay beach --- this has a big open air disco ( cant rem name ) --on fri and sat has loads of bkk boys there --easy too hook up with one of them !!
we did both nites !! -

I believe this is the disco of Silver Sands Resort on Ao Phai (Haad Sai Kaew). We stayed there last time on Ko Samet. Quite noisy and basic rooms (just check the internet reviews). I saw nicer option within walking distance, I looked at some price and they are a bit more expensive, but not that much, e.g.
Samed Villa Resort (http://www.samedvilla.com/).

Map of Ko Samet (http://www.realthailand.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/2006726dfee_ko_samet.gif)

joe552
March 8th, 2011, 04:49
Thanks for all the feedback. Have booked at the Samed Cabana Resort. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. I'll be travelling alone from Pattaya so it should be an interesting trip.