PDA

View Full Version : 3G and iPads

March 3rd, 2011, 02:37
What's 3G like in Thailand? I'm getting an iPad2 when they go on sale next week and I'll bring it with me on my trip in April. :bounce:

fedssocr
March 3rd, 2011, 08:12
there is no 3G in Thailand other than some test locations in BKK, unless those are gone too.

http://www.telecomasia.net/node/20393

March 3rd, 2011, 08:17
there is no 3G in Thailand other than some test locations in BKK, unless those are gone too.

http://www.telecomasia.net/node/20393No 3G!! How do people survive?

cdnmatt
March 3rd, 2011, 09:00
No 3G!! How do people survive?

Tic-tac-toe and hopscotch of course!

allieb
March 3rd, 2011, 12:40

They survive very nicely. People intending to vacation in Thailand who can't survive without 3G, usually go elsewhere or stay at home and off themselves.

March 3rd, 2011, 14:40

They survive very nicely. People intending to vacation in Thailand who can't survive without 3G, usually go elsewhere or stay at home and off themselves.

tsk tsk tsk Tacky Tacky dear :hello1:

Surfcrest
March 3rd, 2011, 17:11
I have been using my iPad here the whole time without any issues. I have a Wi-Fi connection at home and when I am out I haven't had any issues finding Wi-Fi service away from home.
I download my TV shows from iTunes, mostly hour long programs at about 1.5G per program...both at home and while out.
They recently announced the iPad 2 will be available in the US and Canada in March and this unit will have a better speaker system as well as a camera. I'm already using FaceTime with my iPhone 4 and a Thai SIM card without any issues and it's a great way to stay in touch with family and friends back home.
The only issue remaining then is will they have iPad 2 stock before your trip?

Chok Dee,

Surfcrest

DCbob
March 3rd, 2011, 23:15

I live quite well. I do not even have a cellular (moblie phone) so I have put my priorities where they should be.

quiet1
March 4th, 2011, 15:27
Most, if not all, of Pattaya is covered by True 3G. When my friend visited with his iPhone4 in December, he had strong 3G coverage wherever he went in Pattaya and Jomtien.

March 4th, 2011, 17:33
Most, if not all, of Pattaya is covered by True 3G...

You are making it really difficult for us old farts - if there's true 3G, presumably there must be fake 3G??

:dontknow: :dontknow:

March 4th, 2011, 17:41
Most, if not all, of Pattaya is covered by True 3G...

You are making it really difficult for us old farts - if there's true 3G, presumably there must be fake 3G??

:dontknow: :dontknow:

Last I heard it was a test market in Bangkok and Pattaya but not all areas of the cities were covered. If this is a wireless system why would they not be covered ?

Surfcrest
March 4th, 2011, 21:46
Most, if not all, of Pattaya is covered by True 3G. When my friend visited with his iPhone4 in December, he had strong 3G coverage wherever he went in Pattaya and Jomtien.
Are you sure this isn't True's data service add on?
My phone SIM is through True as well, but I haven't heard of 3G being offered yet.
I asked around at Tukcom today and got quite a few blank responses to the 3G question, but anything is possible.
I was almost run over by a fat Julius Cesar riding a three wheeled chariot at the beach yesterday so at this point I'm willing to believe anything is possible...and yes he had Velco strap shoes ;)

rincondog
March 4th, 2011, 22:49
This article gives a brief description of why there is no 3G and probably won't be any for at least a year or possibly longer.

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/3g-still-hold-thailand

thonglor55
March 5th, 2011, 02:18
What's 3G like in Thailand? I'm getting an iPad2 when they go on sale next week and I'll bring it with me on my trip in April. :bounce:If you're the hot shot in social media you claim to be, why don't you just google the question?

March 5th, 2011, 03:06
If you're the hot shot in social media you claim to be, why don't you just google the question?

Hi,

Because that would be the easy way???? :dontknow: :dontknow:

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

quiet1
March 5th, 2011, 04:59
Are you sure this isn't True's data service add on?
My phone SIM is through True as well, but I haven't heard of 3G being offered yet.
It showed up as 3G on his iPhone4. It reverted to True EDGE when the allocation of 3G data on his prepaid package was surpassed. When he bought a new package or topped off his old one (I don't know what exactly he did), his iPhone again showed 3G from True.

Smiles
March 5th, 2011, 08:58
What's 3G?

DCbob
March 5th, 2011, 09:32
What's 3G?
Mobile phone communication standard, allowing wide-area wireless voice telephone, video calls, and wireless data (e.g. internet access)

Hmmm
March 5th, 2011, 17:51
3G does exist, although it is early days for 3G in Thailand. I suggest you look here for the latest information on what the different carriers' facilities actually amount to:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/17- ... echnology/ (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/17-internet-computers-communication-technology/)

March 5th, 2011, 17:54
[quote="Hmmm"]3G does exist, although it is early days for 3G in Thailand. I suggest you look here for the latest information on what the different carriers' facilities actually amount to:

.... alternatively - get a life.

:occasion9:

March 5th, 2011, 21:07
.... alternatively - get a life.:occasion9:

Lead the way dear.

March 5th, 2011, 21:23
[quote="scottish-guy":14y4c6nh].... alternatively - get a life.:occasion9:

Lead the way dear.[/quote:14y4c6nh]

No, you go first, I insist - "Age before Beauty" etc.

March 5th, 2011, 22:25
["Age before Beauty" etc.

No petal, you first - shit before the shovel.

March 6th, 2011, 00:46
[quote="scottish-guy":2r2nikg0]["Age before Beauty" etc.

No petal, you first - shit before the shovel.[/quote:2r2nikg0]

I wouldn't hear of it - swine before pearls.

March 6th, 2011, 01:09
I wouldn't hear of it - swine before pearls.

Perish the thought - I would never throw pearls at you.

March 6th, 2011, 03:30
[quote="scottish-guy":wu0seeqe]I wouldn't hear of it - swine before pearls.

Perish the thought - I would never throw pearls at you.[/quote:wu0seeqe]

Poor.

thonglor55
March 6th, 2011, 08:12
If this is a wireless system why would they not be covered ?For exactly the same reason it can already be limited to Bangkok and Pattaya - the 3G equipment is either not installed or not switched on in every mobile phone tower. You do understand that you have to be within range of a mobile phone tower to use a mobile phone, don't you?

March 6th, 2011, 10:06
If this is a wireless system why would they not be covered ?For exactly the same reason it can already be limited to Bangkok and Pattaya - the 3G equipment is either not installed or not switched on in every mobile phone tower. You do understand that you have to be within range of a mobile phone tower to use a mobile phone, don't you?

Yes I do, thanks