PDA

View Full Version : Songkran...an Adventure?

Dodger
February 27th, 2011, 07:31
Songkran: A celebration which I always look forward to is just around the corner тАУ so time to get the thinking cap on.

Understanding that many farang hate this intrusion and wish the whole thing would just die and go away, I, for one, enjoy this event to the max, although have little interest in the grossly mutilated adaptation of Songkran which one witnesses in places like Pattaya.

I plan to re-visit the town of Phrae during this period to enjoy a more traditional version of Songkran тАУ and at the same time will enjoy mingling with the boys who were in great abundance during my previous visit to Phrae years ago. Phrae is located in central Thailand and is pretty much your typical Thai town, although has a very special and unique feel and ambience all its own. Most of the residents are farmers, although the town itself is a bit more developed than some of the other small towns in the region. . I went there once years ago with a boy named Daniel whom I had met via the internet. Daniel resided in Phrae, although was attending the University of Uttaradit which is a larger city not far from Phrae. Many of the other boys I met during that trip attended the same university and were very friendly and outgoing. I have always had Phrae on the map for a return visit, and with Thep still being in prison during my next holiday, this is the perfect time to put my trusty backpack in motion.

For those who have never experienced Songkran outside of places like Pattaya, Bangkok or Chiang Mai, let me tell you that the intended version of this celebration is radically different from what youтАЩve been witnessing. Water is still the main theme, although people sprinkle droplets on your forehead accompanied with warm and meaningful smiles, versus blasting you in the eyes of ice cold water. There is meaning behind the water, and that meaning is conveyed with a sense of warmth and compassion. The same holds true with the traditional powder which is customarily dabbed on a personтАЩs cheeks symbolizing both the toil and the wrongdoings of the previous year тАУ where the splashing of water is symbolic of natures cleansing of those wrongdoings in order to start the New Year as a fresh start. IтАЩve seen some people (Thai and farang) in places like Pattaya where they literally slap you in the face with the powder and then rub it into your eyes тАУ followed by some asshole dumping 5 gallons of ice water down your back. ThatтАЩs not Songkran.

I spent 3 days walking around the streets of Phrae with my camcorder and rarely got a drop of water on my lenses. The amount of curtsey reflected in the peopleтАЩs behaviors was amazing to me тАУ especially after witnessing so many SongranтАЩs in places like PTY or BKK. Being the only alien (farang) in town, I was constantly being arm-tugged into groups of smiling Thais who were adamant about me sharing a sip of Thai whiskey with them and were eager to know where I came from, etc. There were a hundred occasions where I wished I had come to Phrae alone тАУ versus being strapped with my internet date, as there were hot boys around every corner. One boy, who was just a bit too young to be going too far with, appointed himself as my guide and led me to many small groups of his friends and family members, all of whom were mau mak mak and enjoying themselves to the max. He wanted to return to the hotel with me, although I declined the offer and stumbled back to my room alone where Daniel was patiently waiting.

This year I will be heading to Si Saket for a few days to visit ThepтАЩs familyтАжdo some fishing with Pan and Ape and to make sure the roofтАЩs still on the house. I didnтАЩt visit SS at all during my last holiday тАУ having my time captivated visiting Thep, but at the urging of ThepтАЩs family, and ThepтАЩs wishes as well, I will making at least one trip to SS this go around. I will travel from SS down to Phrae just in time for the Songkran celebration and plan to lodge in the same hotel where I stayed years ago. I will be wearing the same backpack and carrying the same camcorder, although this time wonтАЩt have a date strapped to my arm. I just love that sort of adventure.

Just a word of advice for anyone out there who wants to experience a true Songkran and have the time of your life in the process; Just pick out any medium sized town off the beaten tourist path тАУ purchase a bus ticket well in advance as they book up quickly during this period тАУ and check yourself into a hotel. Once the celebration starts youтАЩll begin meeting friendly people almost immediately, if, in fact, that is your objective. As far as the boys go, you will have no problem finding someone to take charge of the second pillow on your bed. You guys who prefer the str8 boys would unfortunately not have too much luck, as they will be strapped to their girl fiends and/or wives as one would expect, but if you want to find a gay boy as partner, you will find yourself in the land-of-plenty.

Also, as a side tid bit, I think I paid about 300 baht for the hotel roomтАжhad some of the best home-cooked Thai meals IтАЩve ever eaten for about 80 bahtтАжand there are no off fees.

DonтАЩt Sit There Complaining about Songkran тАУ Go Live It!

Beachlover
February 27th, 2011, 17:43
Dodger... Thanks for the interesting suggestions.

Phrae sounds like a lovely town to visit during during Songkran as you suggest.

Have a great trip and enjoy this brief breath of single life freedom while it lasts! I know I know... it's for all the wrong reasons... but regardless!

When you say "same camcorder", I wonder if you mean the same one, which got you in hilariously deep **** a few years ago?

pong
February 28th, 2011, 09:09
1.PHRAE- o lovely memories. Just try to pronounce the name of that city/province.
Just a remark; this is NOT central-Thai, it very definitely is North-Thai. With all the culture and gentle manners that comes with that.
2.the town offers a secret that is not well-known. it must still be one of the very few near-intact inner cities with most buildings still in old-style teakwood buildings. The new town, with all the bisnis and offithes, is a little away from it.
3.oh-and then the voices of nearly anyone from there-if a tiny bell tinkles. You will find neralty the same a little furhter on, in places like Payao and Nan. Lampang -quite famous among holidaying Thai-is already a bit too far on the touristy trail.

thrillbill
February 28th, 2011, 22:00
I agree. Pattaya is (of course) "city goes wild"... the problem with their festive mood is that SOME locals and tourists start a week before; thus, one can't go to the bank, store, or restaurant without getting wet by some drunk farang. Many people that live in Pattaya, leave the place for a week and escape the week of "baptism".

fedssocr
March 2nd, 2011, 08:18
that sounds really nice! have a great time. I have never been in Thailand around that holiday because the scenes I have heard about and seen pictures of in the "big cities" looks like no fun at all to me. But a traditional-style holiday must be lovely. Take lots of pictures to share with us!

Dodger
March 2nd, 2011, 16:35
Beachlover Wrote:

When you say "same camcorder", I wonder if you mean the same one, which got you in hilariously deep **** a few years ago

Yeh, it's the same one all right..., although does't have the same hair trigger as before...555