PDA

View Full Version : gym in BKK

ChelseaNY
February 19th, 2011, 08:44
I've been a lurker here in the forum for quite a while. Interesting (and sometime scary) here. Certainly a wealth of experience and knowledge.

In any case, I am planning my next visit to BKK to teach at a college of Mahidol and vacation. (I do have longer term plans for living in Thailand several years off.) I usually stay in a simple and clean hotel in Pat Pong II, but I've never found an affordable and worthwhile gym or fitness center in the area. The last time I inquired at a place on Silom the price seemed outrageous. Any suggestions for where I can workout and shake off the heat would be much appreciated

Thanks.

adman5000
February 19th, 2011, 19:31
If you belong to a club in the USA, you may want to see if they are an IHRSA member (www.ihrsa.org (http://www.ihrsa.org)) and participate in the passport program and if you can visit a member club in Bangkok such as California WOW (one located in Silom as well as other BKK locations).

I plan to check into this on my next trip to Thailand. If they are a member, they must discount their guest fees by at least 50%.

ChelseaNY
February 20th, 2011, 00:00
My NY club is a member of IHRSA. Thanks.

adman5000
February 20th, 2011, 01:35
I looked at the website for the Silom location and it said the Passport guest rate is 300 baht(I assume per visit), which still seems a bit steep to me. Good luck.

February 20th, 2011, 08:40
A quick look at Mahidol's web site indicates that they have a fully equipped sports center that can be used by faculty and staff. No cost is mentioned but if there is one it is likely quite small. I would think as a visiting professor/lecturer you would be able to have access to their facilities. It would be worth exploring.

Beachlover
February 20th, 2011, 08:41
So the casual visit full rate for California WOW Siam Paragon is 600 baht? That is steep...

What are their monthly membership rates? Curious.

pong
February 21st, 2011, 08:05
So the casual visit full rate for California WOW Siam Paragon is 600 baht? That is steep...

What are their monthly membership rates? Curious.
No-you were mistaken-or did not realise their sales-strategy: ANYthing is negotiable here in LOS. Also their rates. And/but you need to be an even keener bargaining person (and have the skills of that too) to get a real low price. BTW; Cal-wow is always said to be more of a hook-up place (mainly str8 of course) as anything else.
If you fancy cheap and thai; many cityparks have aerobics and other machines for ''working out''-in the heat. Also nearby Lumpini. better to go after dusk. Seem to be good meeting places too.

Beachlover
February 21st, 2011, 20:02
Thanks, Pong. I was just asking. A very gym fit Thai boy I dated said he was a member there (California Wow), so I was just curious what the rates are. Lumpini can be a nice park to run in.

February 27th, 2011, 10:23
http://www.clarkhatchthaniya.com/images/ch-map.jpg

Modest but pleasant place with aerial view of Soi Twilight from the X-Trainer. Recommended.

Clark Hatch Physical Fitness Centers Thailand Limited
Thaniya Plaza Branch | Bangkok

9th Floor Thaniya Plaza
52 Silom Road
Suriyawongse
Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Tel. 02-231-2250
Fax. 02-231-2251

email: enquiry@clarkhatchthaniya.com

http://www.clarkhatchthaniya.com/services.php