PDA

View Full Version : Is Pattaya too expensive..

giggsy
February 16th, 2011, 09:57
I remember when I first started comming to Pattaya many moons ago
and how far your money could go. I remember going to the local shop and I
would get 2 bags of potato's, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk , a hunk
of cheese, 6 eggs, a large jar of coffee, a couple of dozen bars of chocolate
and 40 cigarettes all for 100 baht.
You can't do that now...Too many fucking security cameras!!.

February 16th, 2011, 10:11
The economy has gone sour and the shop owners/business owners do not understand that if they try and lower prices, they will get more customers.
They feel that if there are fewer customers, it makes sense to raise the prices. Another reason and I quote a reaurant business owner who I think has a wharped sense of direction, recently said Well you pay that in the USA!" Well dearie, this ain't the USA, you dont pay USA wages, and the quality isnt the same! We used to come here for the cheap prices. They just dont understand I am sorry to say. :love4:

February 16th, 2011, 16:02
The economy has gone sour and the shop owners/business owners do not understand that if they try and lower prices, they will get more customers.
They feel that if there are fewer customers, it makes sense to raise the prices. Another reason and I quote a reaurant business owner who I think has a wharped sense of direction, recently said Well you pay that in the USA!" Well dearie, this ain't the USA, you dont pay USA wages, and the quality isnt the same! We used to come here for the cheap prices. They just dont understand I am sorry to say. :love4:

In all the years I have come here Thais truly believe that if you have less customers you raise your prices to compensate. Back during the Asian financial crisis as the baht plummeted many businesses raised prices saying now you can pay more!

Beachlover
February 16th, 2011, 16:21
You crack me up... I love you, giggsy! :bis:

They feel that if there are fewer customers, it makes sense to raise the prices.
Well it kind of works (in the immediate term) if everyone does it! Or at least it means tourists have to look harder for the service providers who aren't raising prices. In the long term, everyone ends up with less customers and less money.

It's interesting their instincts are the the opposite of ours. For us, when the market goes to shit, the first thing small business managers think of is to discount (NOT always the best thing to do). Where as the first thing Thais naturally think of is "less customers so I must get as much as I can out of the customers I have left!"... with that kind of logic discounting is kind of counter-intuitive to them, I guess.

When the GFC popped around, I did reduce my rates but I also focused on selling value adds and being more innovative and bold with what we were delivering. In hindsight, the latter probably saved us more than the discounting (which slaughtered my margins).

gra46
February 16th, 2011, 16:31
Giggsy at his best once again
giggsy go to the top of the class but dont take your books with you ,you wont be there long

billy2bs
February 16th, 2011, 22:32
I don't have an answer about how to run a business in Pattaya but having run conv. stores here in the USA Mobil gas and conv, It was always difficult to keep customers comming back since we were high end gas cost. The horrible part was seeeing my cost of good going higher and higher and fretying over what to do about pricing. the right price point is so important. Overall one has to make enough money to stay open. What we have to do is keep our c=ustomers happy. Personell is the key. Find the right ones and pay them well and keep them happy. Happy and smiles keeps them comming back. maybe you wont make quite as much $ but you can stay in business. Of course ther is a point where things will fail no matter what you do..but then thats life..isnt it

Thor69
February 16th, 2011, 23:05

That was funny!

Those that say Pattaya is expensive are Cheap Charlies and really have no clue as to the reality of things.
If you want to throw your money away you easily can and if you want to be frugal you have that option also.

Comparing prices to your home country makes no sense at all. There are too many variables. What you hear about
from boards such as this are complainers and old queens that have lost interest in living life. Those that are active
are having the times of their life! :laughing3:

thrillbill
February 17th, 2011, 05:05
Is Pattaya expensive??? Depends what your life style is. Once can live FIVE STAR and spend more money here than they would back home; howeve,r there is a wide range of choices of where to stay...500bath a night to 4000 baht a night; restaurants to eat 100baht to 1000baht; clothing- inexpensive named brands at the outlet stores/or local brands to expensive with the international brands at the shopping centers. I would say one can live here cheaper than back home, but you have to make the right choices. If you are thinking of being thrifty like a back packer, you're better staying home where there is a Walmart.

February 17th, 2011, 14:21
Well dearie, this ain't the USA, you dont pay USA wages, and the quality isnt the same!

Thats the truest thing you've ever said. In the USA they should pay you to eat that crap.

February 17th, 2011, 17:14

Fab giggsy!

I went to McDonalds the other day, the girl said to me Sorry about the wait,I said 'No problem Fatty,you'll lose it eventually'

I came out of McDonalds with a big mac,double fries,large coke,apple pie and a Thai sitting on the floor said to me,' I haven't eaten for two days' I sad 'Fucking hell,I wish I had your willpower!' :laughing3: :laughing3: