PDA

View Full Version : Makha Bucha Day this weekend

bao-bao
February 15th, 2011, 22:20
I noticed elsewhere mentions that the clubs would be closed this weekend for the Buddhist holiday Makha Bucha. For those who don't know, it's a day of meaningful importance to the Theravada Buddhists - meaning well over 90% of the Thai there.

When I was there last February I was one of a very few farang participating at the observance/festival at Wat Chaimongkron on South Road (within view from the intersection at 2nd Road). I knew when it was and what it was, but it was both interesting and fun for this farang, anyway. If you're in Pattaya that night I strongly suggest going to the festival at Wat Chaimongkron.

There are some pictures of both the festival and the VERY quiet club streets on my post done last April, if anyone who hasn't been in town for it would care to see what the celebration's like there: http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/04/makha-bucha-in-pattaya-25532010.html

By the way - if you can't stand 24 hours away from alcohol, buy it in advance and keep it in your room - but you'll find you can get it in a coffee cup or some such disguise throughout town, I'm told. And for those who can't stand the thought of not seeing the club guys for one night - they don't get on a bus and leave town when the clubs close, you know... a lot of them go to the temples to make merit. ;)

Beachlover
February 16th, 2011, 20:02
Interesting... Thanks for the education, Bao Bao. I'd never heard of Makha Bucha Day before.

By the way - if you can't stand 24 hours away from alcohol, buy it in advance and keep it in your room...
Got to say... you'd have to be pretty desperate to do that!

February 16th, 2011, 21:24
[quote="bao-bao"]I noticed elsewhere mentions that the clubs would be closed this weekend for the Buddhist holiday Makha Bucha. For those who don't know, it's a day of meaningful importance to the Theravada Buddhists - meaning well over 90% of the Thai there.

I have never heard this before does anyone know what the other 10% of Thai Buddhists are comprised of?

bao-bao
February 16th, 2011, 21:45
I have never heard this before does anyone know what the other 10% of Thai Buddhists are comprised of?
Just to play along with this "new" :tard: poster for a laugh I'd say oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, chlorine, sodium, magnesium, iron, cobalt, copper, zinc, iodine, selenium and fluorine - rather like everyone else.
. :rolling:

February 16th, 2011, 21:48
Just to play along with this "new" :tard: poster for a laugh I'd say oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, chlorine, sodium, magnesium, iron, cobalt, copper, zinc, iodine, selenium and fluorine - rather like everyone else.
. :rolling:

Wow! You have a wonderful sense of humor.

February 16th, 2011, 22:55
I'd never heard of Makha Bucha Day before.
How does someone with your vast knowledge of Thailand never have heard of Makha Bucha day?

Got to say... you'd have to be pretty desperate to do that!
How is this any more desperate than keeping booze at work?