PDA

View Full Version : Taxi to Bangkok

Rene
February 12th, 2011, 11:35
I will land at Suvarnabhumi in a few days and have to get to Satorn near Rama IV in Bangkok. I want to take a taxi from the airport. What is the current situation? Is there an official taxi stand after clearing customs and getting to the arrivals area? What would the approximate charge be these days? Do they use the meter or is it a flat rate? Any particular hassles to watch for or be aware of?

Thanks, Rene

February 12th, 2011, 13:19
It will cost about 200bhat.

Im not sure about where you get them as my hotel sends a merc, but I took a taxi from the hotel to a place just beyond the airport and it cost me 200 so I would reckon on that. I suppose the taxi rank is somewhere as you come out, look for signs. Are you a nervouse traveler chortle. :happy7:

February 13th, 2011, 01:37
It will cost about 200bhat.

Im not sure about where you get them as my hotel sends a merc, :happy7:

Hi,

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: So,you member,go look around in the sweltering heat yourself,he means!

Our Cedric can't be bothered checking on taxis for mere mortals from the comfort of his Mercedes!!! Self,self,self, Ha! :evil4: :evil4:

Go get on the bus!

billy2bs
February 13th, 2011, 02:05
As I rcall from my last visit when getting out from customs leave by the left side outside. Then a bit more to the left is the taxi stand with all the taxis in line. Go to the booth and tell them where you wish to go and they will give you the stub for the taxi.It will cost roughly 250 to 300 bht depending on the time.I get in at 1am so it will be fast for me. And as usual check that the meter is running when you leave. Have fun!!See yas all next month too.

February 13th, 2011, 02:13
Yes the taxis are readily available and in line and there are signs all along the airport to the taxis.
avoid taking a taxi from anyone trying to hawk a taxi but insted one that is properly there. Same as in ANY airport.
And I think Cedric can even get a Mercedes there and not have to wait long. maybe is is a large BMW. Well something to carry his royal fat ass in anyhoo. :sign5:

fedssocr
February 13th, 2011, 05:25
Taxis at the airport are now on the lower level. So after you get through customs you need to go downstairs.

You will pay Bt50 in addition to the meter. Depending on the time of day you arrive it could be more than the Bt200 quoted above plus the Bt50 airport fee. Some people try to circumvent that fee by going up and getting a taxi at the departures level, but I have never seen the point. Plus you will need to pay the tolls if you choose to go by the expressway.

It's been my experience that from the airport the meter is not an issue. Returning to the airport the driver will sometimes try to negotiate a flat rate instead of using the meter.

As reported on the Bangkok Airport website
Bangkok Airport Public Taxi Service

Public taxi stand is located on Level 1 (Ground Level).

> Contact Taxi counter, Level 1 - Ground Level, near entrances 3, 4, 7 and 8.

> Pick up area: taxi stand Level 1 - Ground Level

> Taxi fare: metered taxi fare plus 50 Baht airport surcharge, and expressway fees.

> Public taxis serving Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport must be less than 5 years old.

> Public taxi drives must be certified by Airports of Thailand.

There are also car services that charge Bt800-900 each way. And there is the official AOT limo service that charges even more. And the hotels' super expensive limo services that even more money still.

February 13th, 2011, 08:04
Don't forget to wear your seatbelt. Traffic accidents are very, very common in Thailand even though around two-thirds involve motor cycles - http://www.thaiskale.com/journal/thaila ... atalities/ (http://www.thaiskale.com/journal/thailands-deadliest-killer-vehicle-motorcycle-accidents-and-fatalities/) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... nd_by_year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year)

February 13th, 2011, 09:05
I will land at Suvarnabhumi in a few days and have to get to Satorn near Rama IV in Bangkok. I want to take a taxi from the airport. What is the current situation? Is there an official taxi stand after clearing customs and getting to the arrivals area? What would the approximate charge be these days? Do they use the meter or is it a flat rate? Any particular hassles to watch for or be aware of?

There is an official taxi queue that leads up to a taxi controller's booth. Unfortunately, the location of the booth has moved from one floor to another every year. So instead of telling you which floor it was on based on my last visit (and which information may be out of date by the time you visit) my advice is that you look out for the signs that say "PUBLIC TAXI" after you leave the Customs area. It could be on the same Arrivals floor, or it could be one floor down, but outside the airconditioned area.

Please do not confuse this with touts and booths that say "Airport Limousine services". They charge much more than taxis. Do not use any tout.

When you have reached the front of the taxi queue, tell the lady at the taxi booth your destination. She will translate it to the driver standing beside her. She will give you a small card which contains the name of the driver, license plate number of the taxi and a phone number to call if you have a complaint. The Taxi should use a meter. Refuse and complain to the booth lady if he does not.

The driver will surely take you via the toll road to downtown Bangkok. Based on my most recent trip, you will pass through two toll gates. The first is 25 baht and the second is 45 baht. You are responsible for paying this which means you should have small change in Thai currency with you BEFORE you get into the taxi.

You will find that the meter will show about 250 baht on arrival at your hotel in Sathorn. To that you have to add 50 baht as the Airport Surcharge.

Thus, the total trip cost is Toll 25 + Toll 45 + Meter (about 250) + Airport Surcharge 50. There is no need to tip (Thais never tip for taxis, only stupid farangs do), though you may round up to the nearest 10 or 20 baht.

Rene
February 13th, 2011, 10:41
Thank you all! I am all set now. Regardless, I am a bit crestfallen by the fact that Cedric didn't offer to send his private Rolls Royce to fetch me. Maybe after I receive my knighthood? We just have to wait our turns Kevin.

All of your responses have filled in the gaps for me for which I am very grateful.

February 13th, 2011, 11:41
As I rcall from my last visit when getting out from customs leave by the left side........

Of course thats why I never see taxis cause I follow my luggage to the right, Its in a Jumbo that I always turn left when embarking. :tard:

February 13th, 2011, 11:57
I am a bit crestfallen by the fact that Cedric didn't offer to send his private Rolls Royce to fetch me.

If I had one it would be all yours kiss kiss . You could take it on a six month Safari through the north for all I would care, turn it into a topless bus for local school children.
Crest up? :headbang:

BTW A taxi is just as good and comfortable as the Hotel Merc, choose a newish one its simple as that. Its just I need a people carrier and the Merc for the growing entourage. I like the ice cold fluffy face towels though and the fact that I can check in before getting to the hotel, means I can just go straight to the rooms on arrival. No sad tired long faces waiting round. :sunny:

a447
February 13th, 2011, 14:33
Im not sure

so I would reckon on that.

I suppose

somewhere

So, Cedric, if you don't know the answer to the posted question, don't bother posting.

And although I have no problem with your telling us your hotel sends you a car, why did you have to mention the MAKE of car??
Are you yet another poverty-struck pensioner on a budget pretending to be someone else??

PATHETIC!

February 13th, 2011, 15:28
And although I have no problem with your telling us your hotel sends you a car

Doesn't sound like it.

But as you ask they always send Mercs, seems standard practise other people call them "Limos" but they aren't thank god. I think "Limo" is American and Im not. Answere your question.

The Peninsula here in Hong Kong sends out Rolls Royce's. I call them biscuit tins.

Im sorry to hear you have to take the back of a motorbike doing the off road thing, but at least you get to see the place before you arrive
all be it with a lung full of poison.

When I first went to Bangkok by myself I left the airport in a Tuk-tuk, and found myself in a Dutchman owned brothel for a hotel. What fun it was, it was pouring with rain too the tuk tuk was almost underwater. I couldn't stop laughing nor could the young tuk tuk driver.

I went home with the tuk tuk driver instead of staying in the Dutch brothel which was an ugly cage, he lived in a beautiful little teak house under a fly over with his wife and three gorgeous children, it was charming.
The driver himself had long painted nails and worked at Pat Pong in the evenings, and there was an elephant that grazed behind the house. The noise it made was wonderfull. It would gather up a trunk full of long grass and rip it up roots and all then thrash it on its leg before chomping.

a447
February 13th, 2011, 16:38
Im sorry to hear you have to take the back of a motorbike doing the off road thing, but at least you get to see the place before you arrive
all be it with a lung full of poison.

?????

Beachlover
February 13th, 2011, 18:06
So, Cedric, if you don't know the answer to the posted question, don't bother posting.
Cedric's a flipping moron... just ignore him. Every morning he gets out of bed and decides, "I'm going to be a moron today".

Mac gives a good explanation on grabbing a cab from the airport. The other option is to go upstairs to the departures level and grab one of the incoming taxis. You'll save 5-10 mins waiting in line at the official meter taxi line (and 50 baht) and your driver will be grateful not having to line up behind other taxis for 1-2 hours (or so I've heard) to get a fare.

Thor69
February 13th, 2011, 20:19
.......When I first went to Bangkok by myself I left the airport in a Tuk-tuk.

I don't think I ever saw a Tuk tuk at the airport in Bangkok. You have some interesting experiences, perhaps from your imagination? :rolling:

bing
February 13th, 2011, 20:33
When I arrive in BKK it is usually after traveling for some 24 hours. I have taken a taxi by myself and also had the hotel send a taxi man for me. He is usually waiting for me at the appointed spot and has a sign with my name on it. After the long flight I really appreciate the no stress approach to getting to the Rose Hotel in BKK. I would not arrive anymore without having a taxi man waiting for me.

Beachlover
February 13th, 2011, 21:19
Bing... when you meet your driver, do you have to walk with him to the carpark before you set off?

I've only ever once booked a taxi ahead of time for my arrival in Suvarnabhumi/BKK airport and actually thought this was more of a hassle. Once I met him, we had to walk upstairs and across a walkway to a carpark before getting away. Where as, with the meter taxis, you just get straight in and leave straight away because they're parked right there in front of you. I'm thinking the only benefit of having someone meet you would be if it was a limo or something (for Bangkok that is... for Pattaya it's a different story, longer distance).

fedssocr
February 14th, 2011, 05:15
It's been my experience with the car services for rides to Bangkok city locales that you end up meeting a dispatcher at the meeting point and that person contacts the driver who pulls up on the arrivals level. The dispatcher or another employee of the company walks you and your luggage out the meet the driver.

For services to Pattaya like TheLimoPattaya that you will meet the actual driver who will then lead you on the long walk to the carpark.

Beachlover
February 14th, 2011, 08:39
Fair enough, fedsoccr... that's as good as jumping straight in a cab then.

February 16th, 2011, 08:25
.......When I first went to Bangkok by myself I left the airport in a Tuk-tuk.

I don't think I ever saw a Tuk tuk at the airport in Bangkok. You have some interesting experiences, perhaps from your imagination? :rolling:

Dont think I have either. This was the old airport and some way from it at that.

I notice hardly anyone wants to mention a price so Im sticking with give or take 200.

Beachlover
February 16th, 2011, 19:59
Taxi to Silom is usually 250 baht by the meter plus tolls and plus 50 baht airport desk fee (if you use the official meter taxi line).

February 17th, 2011, 08:19
so Im sticking with give or take 200.

Including tolls.

Smiles
February 17th, 2011, 12:04
" ... There is an official taxi queue that leads up to a taxi controller's booth. Unfortunately, the location of the booth has moved from one floor to another every year.
Macaroni's advice is the one to keep inside your head. Although, right now the public taxi area is downstairs from the arrival level. When you get down there, turn to the left (as you're looking out towards the parking lot) and keep walking until you see the public taxi booth.
All the other details in Macaroni's (and fedssocr's) post(s) are correct: (except perhaps for Macaroni's opinion on tipping. He's correct that it's not necessary, but ~ stupid me ~ I tip.)

Rene
February 17th, 2011, 20:25
OK, the mystery is over. I landed yesterday and followed the advice bao-bao directed me to on his blog. Macaroni in his typical fashion was quite accurate as well. But bao-bao was the most up to date in that he was aware that the location of the taxi desk was on the lower level and also mentioned that in addition to the lift there was also a moving ramp that you could use to descend one floor.

Here are the details. Coming out of customs, there are plenty of signs that guide you to "public taxi". You follow the arrows which lead you down one level and the rest of the signs lead you directly to the "public taxi" desk. It wasn't very far of a walk. I had no queues to suffer and immediately was introduced to my driver who was standing there. I was handed a slip of paper with my driver's information on it as well as my destination. I was further instructed that I would have to pay, in addition to what was on the meter at my destination, a 50 baht airport fee and the highway tolls which came to 75 or 80 baht. All of this was also clearly spelled out on the slip of paper that was given to me at the desk. After leaving the "public taxi" desk we walked across the street where the vehicle was waiting. There was no traffic at that time, about 1:00 in the afternoon and when we arrived at the French Embassy on Satorn, the meter read 390 baht.

Best of all my driver didn't try to engage me in any conversations and the only thing he said after I entered the car was "meter + 50 baht + highway tolls". What a dream, and at least half the price of the AOT limo I used to take, even after I gave him an additional 50 baht tip.

Maybe I'll have some reports to give you after I've been here a while, but just generally speaking, things look rather quiet compared to other visits I made at this exact same time of year. But I've only been here for a day and half at this point.

February 17th, 2011, 21:04
Thank God for all this advice on how to get a taxi - I'm certain that it will prevent many hundreds of visitors being stuck in BKK airport for the entire duration of their holiday as they wander about helplessly trying to figure it out for themselves (whilst presumably ignoring all signs with pictures of taxis and arrows pointing towards the taxi rank).

Now here's the thing: I am planning on having a bath later today - in which direction ought I to turn the taps? Clockwise or anti-clockwise? Should I put the cold water in before the hot or vice-versa? If the bath water ends up too hot - should I wait a few hours till it cools down? What mathematical calculation should I make so that when I lower my fat arse into the water, the displacement does not result in a flood?

For answers to these questions and many others - don't miss SGT forum - the font of all human knowledge!!

:dontknow: :dontknow:

Beachlover
February 17th, 2011, 21:39
LOL... Yes! How the hell do non-SGT readers manage?

Thank you, Scottish, for putting things in perspective. :occasion9:

I usually find Wikitravel the best source of information for airport/hotel transit options anywhere you go.

February 18th, 2011, 12:16
when we arrived at the French Embassy on Satorn, the meter read 390 baht.

That looks very high to me as the meter reading. Did it start at 35 baht?

In September 2010, my taxi fare from airport to Soi Suan Phlu (off Sathorn Road) was 229 on the meter.

Beachlover
February 18th, 2011, 19:06
Driver may have had the meter running before you got in... or he took a long way... or the meter's rigged.

Thor69
February 18th, 2011, 19:50
With all this discussion about spending less than 400 baht how did you ever make a decision on your air ticket? What forum did you use?
I hope that you don't spend as much time fretting over which boy to choose in the go-go bars and how much to tip him. If you do then you'll need a ten year visa. :rolling:

February 18th, 2011, 19:56
In September 2010, my taxi fare from airport to Soi Suan Phlu (off Sathorn Road) was 229 on the meter.

How the fuck can you possibly remember to a single baht how much a particular taxi fare was 5 months ago?

Maybe you keep a journal of such events?

Can't wait to read your autobiography if it is full of exciting and interesting facts like these.

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Rene
February 18th, 2011, 22:09
when we arrived at the French Embassy on Satorn, the meter read 390 baht.

That looks very high to me as the meter reading. Did it start at 35 baht?

You're absolutely right Macaroni. The fare was under 300 baht on the meter when I arrived at my destination and I watched him turn the meter on at the airport. I made a mistake on my earlier post. So that is about one-third the price of the AOT limo for the same trip.

I have some great leads on some new places to go in Bangkok and after I've had a look, I'll get back back to you, maybe with a PM in order to avoid all the static on this forum. I think I must have half the board on "ignore" already.

February 18th, 2011, 22:14

You're absolutely right Macaroni. The fare was under 300 baht on the meter when I arrived at my destination

Now hang on - there is a discrepancy of 71 Baht here which cannot just be swept under the carpet!

I demand that this is accounted for as I will be unable to sleep until i know if the fare was 229B or 299B or some other figure in between!

:sharm: :sharm: