PDA

View Full Version : Are massages safe?

Impulse
February 11th, 2011, 03:40
I had a massage by one of the blind Thais in Jomtien complex.An older small women with a bad cold.Seemed harmless enough.
She spent most of the time on my legs.I could feel all my nerves being touched,one in particular really hurt.Then,just above my groin on one side she pressed down with all her weight for about 45 seconds to a minute.Then the other side.I was a bit concerned about this part,as I envisioned my lymph nodes being crushed.
i don't know if it had anything to do with it,but my orgasm that night was one of the worst,could'nt feel anything.
Then i flipped over and she did my back.That was okay,then onto my neck and head.Not a problem either until she placed her index finger between my nose and eye and pressed into it very hard.
i had a reaction immediately as i don't like my eyes being touched.She laughed at my reaction and went back to twisting my neck around a bit.I could'nt see the point in the eye thing.If I knew she was going to put that move on me,I would have insisted on it not happening.
It's been about a week,and I have a twitching above my knee from the massage.She hit a nerve there for sure.
i know i sound like a whimp,but just wanted to relate my experience.I'm sure most have great massages and go back to the one that they like.......anyone ever get injured during one?

Jason1988
February 11th, 2011, 04:01
Older folks, as you sound like you are, should not get such intense massages. Your best bet would be to stick with the softer swedish style massages. It sounds as if you have a pinched nerve and may need a chiropractor to work that out for you.

February 11th, 2011, 06:20
For sure on the chriopractor but dont let one convince you to seek thier help day after day after day until you are 90 like many want you to do. (my personal feelings from previous experience, I am not a doctor)

When I had a massage on the beach and came away with severe neck pain and had to go to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital as well as a Chriropractor for pain killers and x ray, the chriropractor wanted to keep me coming for months and they both said to me that numerous injuries are from massages on the beach are from untrained "massage" people.

That being said, it turned out later that it was NOT from the beach massage as they said, but instead from a vitamin D deficiency. I was given prescription strength Vitamin D and advise to get sunlight and it went away.

Blueskytoday
February 11th, 2011, 11:03
I never had a problem with the body oil massage
but 4 months ago I had a foot massage...the boy
apparently twisted or pulled one toe....must have
strained a ligiment or tendon, whatever it is called
inside the toe...I have had minor problems with the
toe ever since this event...every other day I have a
stinging sensation in the toe. sometimes have to take
off my shoe and massage the toe a bit to make the
pain subside...

DCbob
February 11th, 2011, 11:14
quote left out
I have never had a massage that felt good, and once had a foot massage and had to take a taxi 2 blocks to my house. So I cannot make a comment about something that I do not like.
Your quoted u-tube has not been available for a long time
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.
Sorry about that.

February 11th, 2011, 11:47
Absolutely there are excellent good and bad and very bad masseurs, and you can no matter what your age get injured by one.

The only way to find a good one is by word of mouth like on this forum.

I was lucky in that I found what I consider the best masseur in Thailand, before I was damaged by any cowboy. So not only do I know the full routine of a traditional Thai massage but i also know what is not on, and will end a massage the minute I feel the masseur is not capable, its usually fairly early on that you can tell.

One of the biggest myths about both Chinese and Thai massages is that they should hurt. This is utter codswallop.

In Thai massage there are very few pressure points its mostly stretching, but in the pressure points the hands must be place extremely accurately and you will know if they are good because they will feel with their hands smoothly until they find the exact spot and it will not hurt. With the stretching the same applies they will work the muscles or ligaments very well before stretching then often trying a bit then going back to work them until they can get them to stretch to the max with no pain what so ever, its should be pure and absolute bliss, its almost as nice as an orgasm each time. Some will even tickle your toes or souls of your feet your finger tips as they do it, remember to breath properly while they do it exhale deeply while relaxing completely during any stretch, you learn to anticipate their moves and they follow the pattern of your breathing keep it steady and deep. Once you are familiar with the routine just close your eyes and dance.

I find a Thai massage one of the great wonders of the world. My chap is tall strong and athletic with rugged good looks, big hands and a very cheerful disposition. He kneads me shapes me stretches me, we are like two acrobats. He often whispers in my ear in a nice deep calming tone some naughty Thai thing when he is near my head to try and make me lose my balance, but I never do and this pleases him, you need as much control of your relaxation as he does his strength, it's a partnership, and one well worth building and maintaining.

To me it feels like meditation I lose all thought and go into a lovely trance, when I leave it feels like I am walking on air, completely centred posture perfect even then my masseur will often tickle me and it feels like that touch that makes you shiver after sex, he always laughs at that.

When I come out of the trance at the end when he sits me up and tickles the tips of my ears (I have pixie ears he find them irresistible) Im always face to face with a huge swollen cock, long white tight and broad with an enormous head throbbing like its gasping for air. I never even know I have it until until the end. Once I awoke and at the foot of the mat was another guy sharp handsome sitting crossed legged peering up at my cock with his hands held in prayer, it was like waking to an angel. He whispered in my ear that he was teaching this other guy massage. I honestly wasn't bothered at all.

There is nothing absolutely nothing in this world as bad as a bad Thai massage in my books not with what I know.

Beachlover
February 11th, 2011, 21:03
i know i sound like a whimp,but just wanted to relate my experience.I'm sure most have great massages and go back to the one that they like.......anyone ever get injured during one?
Damn, sounds like she did some damage. You should see a professional to get that looked at.

No, I've never been injured in a massage, I get a massage regularly and usually ask for strong pressure to be applied.

I don't know anyone who's ever been injured in a massage so it's nice to be reminded it can happen.

For sure on the chriopractor but dont let one convince you to seek thier help day after day after day until you are 90 like many want you to do. (my personal feelings from previous experience, I am not a doctor)
Some chiros can do that. If you're getting treatment, you need to get at least an informal (verbal) treatment plan from your chiro telling you how long and how many visits are anticipated. He/she should communicate the progress with you on each visit. If they're vague or unsure, find another chiro.

But be aware in some cases if you're older and have spine issues, which were left untreated for decades it can take years of gradual treatment to either get it right, or manage it so it doesn't get worse (I've a family member in this condition).

mahjongguy
February 12th, 2011, 06:47
I've come to the conclusion that Thai massage, even when done by a skilled masseur, is very risky for the elderly.

In the past several years I've had foot problems from pressure applied to the small bones. I've had a tendon damaged where it attaches to the hip (iliac crest syndrome) that took months to heal.

So, as much as I regret it, I now settle for the harmless (and mostly useless) oil massages.

thonglor55
February 12th, 2011, 07:45
Just say no, as dear Nancy Reagan reminds us. I refuse to let a masseur twist my neck, and my feet are particularly problematical as I have peripheral neuropathy so unless they are grasped firmly the masseur risks a reflexive kick. As for that heave-ho at the end with the masseur underneath, most masseurs rightly believe that my gargantuan size would cause them bodily injury were they to attempt it. Find a good masseur and stick with him (or her). The foot massage, by the way, is intended to massage the internal organs indirectly, if you've ever seen and understood the diagram of the foot that the massage shops display. Of course, there are those among us who have a narcissistic view of their body parts - witness this PM I have received from Beachlover:
I have great legs and they looked particularly fabulous draped around Homintern's neck.

Beachlover
February 12th, 2011, 11:58
If you're worried about the skill of the therapist, maybe visit some of the more high-end spas to seek out a more professionally-trained and qualified therapist you can better trust.

You can find a world of difference between the kind of places on the street charging 300-400 baht and places charging in the 700-1,000 baht range or the hotels in the 1,500-2,500 range for a 1-hr massage. The more expensive places will more often employ therapists with a higher level of skill and professionalism. This isn't always the case - you can find some terrific therapists in cheap places, and likewise, I'm sure there are crap therapists in the more expensive places - but it's one way to approach the problem.

Look for one of the more upscale independent spas charging 700+ for a massage or try one of the 5-star hotels. They charge a hell of a lot more but the service and professionalism is in a different league to anything else.

February 12th, 2011, 13:05
You can find a world of difference between the kind of places on the street charging 300-400 baht and places charging in the 700-1,000 baht range or the hotels in the 1,500-2,500 range for a 1-hr massage. The more expensive places will more often employ therapists with a higher level of skill and professionalism. This isn't always the case -

Look for one of the more upscale independent spas charging 700+ for a massage or try one of the 5-star hotels. They charge a hell of a lot more but the service and professionalism is in a different league to anything else.

What absolute dross. This is hardly ever the case you mean ha ha ha. Im seriously wondering if you have actually ever been to Thailand here?

I either stay the Peninsula or the Orient more the Peninsula now as the other has become a tourist nightmare, you feel like an endangered species exhibit in a zoo.

Take it from me Expensive Hotel Spa's are not only a rip off but the massages are the worst in Bangkok. Oddly enough in Singapore the situation is completely different except during Chinky Chonk Christmas :evil4: when the hotels are bursting their sides with tacky mainlander tourists, ironically China Town then is the best place to go.

The cost of the massage bears absolutely no correlation to the quality in Thailand at all. The only difference and maybe thats where beach is drawing his experience from is in a sex massage, if he gets fucked he must pay 1000 tip end of story.
A good masseur will have been taught from his father or uncle, the art will have been passed down. Often those that learn from "schools" or temples give a horrid bland indifferent massage that can leave a few bruises here and there, and a been there done that feeling in the punters.

Honesty the only way is to talk ask questions and mostly by trial and error find a good one. Could be he works in a six star hotel but its truly not at all likely. The massages in these places are dumbed down crap and usually involve oil, aroma shyte and horrible piped Muzak, not true Thai massages at all, stay well away if you want a decent massage. My second best masseur works in a two star hotel across the river from the Peninsula and costs 400 for 90 min, I usually tip 1500 and he buys me an iced Ovaltine round the corner. :happy7: good for me good for you.

thonglor55
February 12th, 2011, 13:50
What absolute dross. This is hardly ever the case you mean ha ha ha. Im seriously wondering if you have actually ever been to Thailand here?An excellent question.

Beachlover
February 12th, 2011, 19:51
Cedric, you're a moron without an ounce of credibility.

As I said, you get both good and bad therapists in both cheap and expensive places. But the odds of consistently getting a good massage picking a random therapist are higher when you go to the more upscale places (not that I do this every time) in my experience. Most of the time I take a chance, but sometimes I want to make sure I get a good massage, especially if I've just come off something tiring.

I had a great masseur in Pattaya (Civathome) I used everyday both times I visited there (he's in the Army now). He was taught by his Mum, not Uncle or Father.

February 13th, 2011, 13:20
the odds of consistently getting a good massage picking a random therapist are higher when you go to the more upscale places

And? Your point? This where I told you you were spewing out your swollen prolapsed cracked anal glands? Isn't?

Even the old Ambassador (you cant get more downscale") does a better massage than the Grand Hyatt's Spa, I've stayed in the Hyatt I know.

In the "upscale places" all you're paying for is the surrounds, besides most of the upscale hotels use some crap outsourced American Spa resort concept, you are lucky if you get to find someone who even knows what a Thai massage is never mind being able to do one.

Sadly the Peninsula fell for just this itself, after having built a magnificent "colonial" style Thai French wooden chateau,three floors veranda all round, antique roofing tiles even using the same paint mix used on the originals etc, it's very nice, but the Spa???? The massage??? Fuck what a waste of a building. And they charge for one hour 300 US.

Yudder yudder spew and drivel you dont know what you are talking about. (Kiss)

Beachlover
February 13th, 2011, 17:48
Cedric... you're a moron not worth replying to anymore.

Hmmm
February 13th, 2011, 19:07
It doesn't matter how 'trained' they are if the practice has no physiological basis ... chiro 'adjustments', pressure points, etc.

The placebo effect and a bit of attention are powerful things. These have been shown to be just as good if not better than many so-called 'therapies'.

Stick to gentle soft tissue massage with a happy ending.

Beachlover
February 13th, 2011, 19:29
I get massages (professional/therapeutic) for relaxation/stress relief as well as physiological benefits.

I've heard doctors swear they'd never get a massage because there are no scientifically proven (or so they say) benefits or healing effects and think that's a bit extremist on the scientific front.

I know for sure that when I've got knots and stiffness in my muscles, nothing loosens them up quicker and better than a massage. I did a lot of running/sports in high school and with athletics, if we didn't get a massage at least once a month, we'd end up injured by halfway through the season with shin splints and stress fractures etc. When I stay on a beach in Thailand, I do a lot of running and getting a massage means I'm recovered by the next day instead of enduring 2-3 days of tight calves.

Thor69
February 13th, 2011, 20:34
I never had a problem with the body oil massage
but 4 months ago I had a foot massage...the boy
apparently twisted or pulled one toe....must have
strained a ligiment or tendon, whatever it is called
inside the toe...I have had minor problems with the
toe ever since this event...every other day I have a
stinging sensation in the toe. sometimes have to take
off my shoe and massage the toe a bit to make the
pain subside...

If you're fragile you should inform the massage boy or girl to massage you more gently.
They will gladly do as you ask. If he or she doesn't understand, others there can translate for you.
Some folks can't take the roughness of the Thai massage and should not have them.

February 14th, 2011, 11:51
I get massages (professional/therapeutic) for relaxation/stress relief as well as physiological benefits.

I get classic Thai massages for meditative purposes and posture realignment. I ride horses a lot and find this crucial for centred riding especially dressage. Its better even than the Alexander technique.

I find Chiropractors a bunch of quacks that should be thrown into the sea. Though I've often wondered about that electro stimulus thing if it wouldnt be quite nice er positioned er "under the back" for example?

February 14th, 2011, 11:55
Some folks can't take the roughness of the Thai massage and should not have them.

It should never be rough. If it is get up and demand someone more skilled.