PDA

View Full Version : Risk of setting up home in Thai village!!!

February 10th, 2011, 13:21
Colin is lucky, and unusual, in that he has n't been threatened by a gun.
You have to be very aware that in marrying an Isaarn woman there's a high risk, her family - or friends working for them - will force you out of the house you have paid for, at the point of a gun while she stands looking on indifferently. The Bangkokpost forum ( http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewto ... f=27&t=418 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=418) )

This sounds shocking, has anyone here had a similar experience?

cdnmatt
February 10th, 2011, 13:57
That's not how it works. Almost always, the land and house are in the wife's name, and usually the car and everything else. There's no need for a gun. The wife just grabs a lawyer for a few thousand baht, and shortly after the police show up at your house and say, "either leave forever, or go to jail".

February 10th, 2011, 14:09
Well I suppose the land is in the wifes or families name and the house (if its in anyones name) he still paid for it and would assume that as such he had rights to it within the family which he now belonged. Anyway why should he leave or go to jail as the legal spouse for a lawyer?

Could this just be a ploy to get some old fat fart to pay for a village house for someone? Cause I certainly would leave if a gun was pointing at my head fat or not. :tard:

cdnmatt
February 10th, 2011, 16:14
Anyway why should he leave or go to jail as the legal spouse for a lawyer?

The wife & family lie their way through a divorce, making sure to give both, the lawyer and the police small donations. More usual than not, the wife has friends in the police force as well, who will help.

Could this just be a ploy to get some old fat fart to pay for a village house for someone?

Happens all the time. I remember staying at a serviced apartment, and usually once a month some poor sap would show up from a village, broke & lost everything.

Cause I certainly would leave if a gun was pointing at my head fat or not. :tard:

That greed and selfishness works both ways in Thailand. You could also easily turn around, and get a government order to demolish the house due to health & safety reasons, or simply hire a group of thugs to ramsack the place, and so on.

February 10th, 2011, 17:03
[
The wife & family lie their way through a divorce, making sure to give both, the lawyer and the police small donations. More usual than not, the wife has friends in the police force as well, who will help.

That greed and selfishness works both ways in Thailand. You could also easily turn around, and get a government order to demolish the house due to health & safety reasons, or simply hire a group of thugs to ramsack the place, and so on.

IC so it best not to build a house for her/him and to rent a hut. If they tell you " well if thats your attitude just go back to your own country" well at least you know upfront?