View Full Version : Faking it

thonglor55
February 10th, 2011, 07:36
In China, the pressure to form a heterosexual marriage is so acute that 80 percent of China's gay population marries straight people, according to sexologist Li Yinhe, a professor at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. To avoid such unions, six months ago, Shanghai's biggest gay Web site, inlemon.cn, started to hold marriage markets once a month.The above forms part of a report on the MSNBC web site entitled Fake-marriage market gives China's gays an out (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41497024/ns/world_news-asiapacific/). I'm sure there are a number of closeted Asian gay guys who would find such a thing very useful.

Beachlover
February 10th, 2011, 18:39
Interesting article...

Hopefully the culture and society in China will gradually evolve to a state where gays feel comfortable enough not to go to such lengths.

As a gay guy, I don't think there's any reason why you can't still end up in a stable and loving relationship with a life partner, have kids and raise a family.

February 11th, 2011, 13:26
Sadly this most unlikely to ever happen. Even in HK which has been free of the constraints of the Chinese traditions under the british for hundreds of yars still to this day are exactly the same 80% or even higher here of gays will still marry.

I think the fake marriage thing is an excellent idea, even better would be to just boldly go forward where no one dares, start a trend lose your parents. in China a lot do this simply by moving to the city. Hong Kong being just a single city state they have no where to go so there is a constant deceit and paranoia and many many bad marriages. :dontknow: Fake marriage markets? :idea: