PDA

View Full Version : Old Visa ... new passport ...

Smiles
February 8th, 2011, 09:21
My Canadian passport is close to retirement (i.e. less on it's life than is necessary for the next 12-month extension which I need to get by middle September).
But when I get my new passport the original Retirement Visa plus all my re-entry and extension stamp history will (obviously) not be there.

Anyone have experience with the notion of splicing old (but necessary) pages in new passports? Will Embassies do this when issuing new passports? I've heard this is possible, but have no experience.
I intend on keeping my old passport, but it will be all holey and obviously null and voided ... thus I assume no Thai immigration officer would consider it as 'proof' of status. I may be incorrect on this, but would like some personal experience(s). If any?

cdnmatt
February 8th, 2011, 09:45
For someone with such a pompous attitude, you sure don't know much.

No, the Canadian government isn't going to transfer your Thailand VISA to your new passport. That VISA is the property of the government of Thailand, and the Canadian government can't touch it, as they have no authority over it.

Get your new passport, and ensure you get your old one back null & voided. Take both passports to a Thai immigration office, and ask for a VISA transfer. No idea of the cost, but they'll take care of it for you. Obviously, if you're currently residing in Thailand, apply for your new passport in BKK immediately after getting stamped in for another 90, giving you plenty of time, and helping ensure you don't overstay.

February 8th, 2011, 10:07
I have never done it in Thailand but have in other countries and the process was similar as to described by cdnmatt. If it were me I would consult with the Thai Immigration people before I started just in case they have some arcane requirements. You would probably be wise to keep the old passport clipped to the new one until you have a brand new Thai visa in September, even if you officially get it transferred. In these cases better safe than sorry. Keep in mind that the embassy in Bangkok will not actually issue the new passport. Everything will have to go to Ottawa and will take at least 2 weeks. The embassy will also advise you as to approved photographers who will be familiar with the exact requirements. From my experience I would definitely use them. It will save you problems and delays. They are quite particular about the photos. I'm not sure about Thailand but many countries have a requirement that your passport be valid for a minimum of 6 months to have any kind of visa work done so keep that in mind as well.

I realize that we are supposed to be the same person but just in case we are not I thought you might benefit from my experience even though I have not done the process in Thailand. PM if you want more specifics. Good Luck.

February 8th, 2011, 13:28
It's a very common procedure as described by cdnmatt.
Get your new passport and take your old passport as well.
Go to the nearest Immigration office with both passports.
Fill in a form for visa-transfer and hand it in.
Depending on the office it will be done immediately or you may have to come back to pick your new passport & visa.
This is a free service.

In some cases, Immigration offices require a letter from the Embassy who issued the new passport that a certain passport number replaces another passport number. IF this statement isn't printed in the new passport, please ask for the seperate statement; just in case.

quiet1
February 9th, 2011, 09:35
The two times I've had a new passport issued via the US Embassy in Bangkok, they gave me a letter to present to Thai Immigrations to transfer the visa and/or permission to stay to the new passport. Both times, Thai Immigrations in Jomtien didn't even read the letter, they returned it to me and went about their business. I suspect different Immigrations offices may handle it differently.

After the process was done, I was not required to ever carry the old, canceled passport.

There was no charge to transfer things to the new passport, and I don't recall completing any application form.

Smiles
February 9th, 2011, 10:46
Thank you gents. Good information, (mostly) simply put. The process turns out to be less of a hassle than I thought it would be.

For the pompous among us: Quite correct, I didn't know the answer to my question as I'd never come up against it. My passport was quite new when I first received the visa and frankly I didn't give the in-the-future passport changeover a second thought.
Obviously I could have called a friend on the phone (one who is far more adept at visa issues than I, and who has replied on this thread) and received the info immediately.

But I thought this issue may be of interest to a lot more folks than me ... the ones who've held their 12-month visa for a number of years, but who's passport was approaching D-Day. So I posted it with that in mind.

February 9th, 2011, 13:19
Thank you gents. Good information, (mostly) simply put. The process turns out to be less of a hassle than I thought it would be.

But I thought this issue may be of interest to a lot more folks than me ... the ones who've held their 12-month visa for a number of years, but who's passport was approaching D-Day. So I posted it with that in mind.

Smiles,

And that was exactly your mistake, ask for good advice or give them a leg to stand on and they kick you up the arse with it, especially on here!

:sunny:

February 9th, 2011, 14:51
Try this form.......
http://thailand.visapro.com/Forms/Transfer-Stamp-New-Passport.asp

cdnmatt
February 9th, 2011, 15:42
Smiles,

And that was exactly your mistake, ask for good advice or give them a leg to stand on and they kick you up the arse with it, especially on here!

It's called karma. Treat people how you want to be treated.

Beachlover
February 9th, 2011, 17:29
Someone should explain... the jab made by cdnmatt is because Smiles has a habit of viciously attacking posters who ask perfectly reasonable questions or pose a subject for discussion without much justification or reason. Basically, he's an indiscriminate arsehole... and he happens to have done it a lot to Matt.