PDA

View Full Version : Thai building standards and BYO condominium

April 29th, 2006, 20:25
I frequently warn those who pop up from time to time to trot out that perennial Forum topic "Rent or buy" about building standards in Thailand not being what they are at home. The saga of the new airport is just another example of this
BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Deputy Transport Minister Gen. Chainant Charoensiri has expressed his concern that a planned opening of Suvarnabhumi international airport this July could be delayed due to extensive repairs on the passenger terminal and of roofing fabric on concourse buildings.

Leading civil engineers from the Air Force and journalists to inspect progress on the construction work of the airport in Bangkok's neighbouring province of Samut Prakan Friday, Gen. Chainant said 14 sections of roofing fabric on concourse buildings had to be replaced while another 81 sheets needed repairs and this could take a few months.

Refurbishment of the duty free shopping area, to be operated by King's Power Duty Free, is also required as many cracks were found on the floors of concourse buildings and water leaked from them.

BYO condominium in Thailand is AYOR

wowpow
April 29th, 2006, 22:08
Acronym explanations for those unfamilar

BYO = Bring Your Own

AYOR = At Your Own Risk

I would certainly agree that to Bring Your Own Condominium is At Your Own Risk especially if you entrust it to the Thai postal system.

April 29th, 2006, 22:39
BYO = Bring Your OwnOr in this case Buy Your Own

wowpow
April 29th, 2006, 23:43
Rank Acronym Meaning
****** [directlink] BYO Bring Your Own search Amazon.com
****** [directlink] BYO Build Your Own search Amazon.com
****** [directlink] BYO Brew Your Own (beer making magazine) search Amazon.com
**** [directlink] BYO Buy Your Own search Amazon.com
**** [directlink] BYO Bulawayo, Zimbabwe (2nd largest city) search Amazon.com

I see that the definition of BYO as Buy Your Own is on a par with BYO = Bulawayo for common useage and popularity.

The Society for Clarity in Communication and the eradication of oblique anitiquated acronyms.

April 30th, 2006, 18:24
many cracks were found on the floors...and water leaked from them.

Well, there's a picture!

wowpow
May 1st, 2006, 07:37
I understand that the architect is the same one who built the part of Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport that fell down last year.

How fortunate we are that the airport is receiving such close inspection to ensure that everything is tickety-boo before opening - should that ever happen.

The worst news in the report is that The King Power Monopoly is to operate the Duty Free shops which will mean that the ludicrously high prices will continue. Why don't they learn from Changi and offer keen prices and sell lots. Presumably the food service will remain with, overpriced low standards, as at Dom Muang.

May 1st, 2006, 07:56
This Is Thailand
Amazing Thailand

You can't teach them a damn thing!