PDA

View Full Version : taximeter in bangkok

brlumpet-old
February 6th, 2011, 18:49
In gay area from Bangkok, lots of taxi waiting near the bar of the gay street refuse to use the taximeter and charge twice or even three times the normal fare. Yesterday I had to ask about five taxi (the drivers were sometimes very nasty when I was asking the taximeter), before picking up a taxi which was just passing who accepted to use the taximeter. As honesty has to pay, I gave him afterwards a good tip. (And it was still much cheaper that the amount which was claimed by the other taxi)
I would advise everybody not to accept to enter in a taxi if the driver do not want to use the taximeter.

Thai Dyed
February 6th, 2011, 18:58
You don't specify exactly where this took place, only the very vague "the gay street". There are some places where it is illegal for a taxi to stop and pick you up so if one takes the chance he risks getting pulled over by the BIB and hence he may want to be sufficiently compensated for this.

Also you don't mention the time of day that this happened. If it was after the skytrain and subway have stopped and the crowd starts moving out of the bars, and there are large numbers of people looking for taxis all at the same time, then yes, you are going to be asked for two or three times the metered fare.

February 6th, 2011, 19:00
In all of the main tourist areas such as Silom road near Soi 2 and 4 don't take a taxi that is waiting for a fare, or indeed passing that particular area, walk down to the next main road/junction ( 3 mins walk) and summon a passing taxi; nine times out of ten they will agree to the meter being on.

brlumpet-old
February 6th, 2011, 19:47
You don't specify exactly where this took place, only the very vague "the gay street". There are some places where it is illegal for a taxi to stop and pick you up so if one takes the chance he risks getting pulled over by the BIB and hence he may want to be sufficiently compensated for this.

Also you don't mention the time of day that this happened. If it was after the skytrain and subway have stopped and the crowd starts moving out of the bars, and there are large numbers of people looking for taxis all at the same time, then yes, you are going to be asked for two or three times the metered fare.

Hi

it was on sukumvit, on the street where xboys and lots of other gay bars are. It was Friday evening at about 11 pm

Beachlover
February 6th, 2011, 20:46
I must have the best luck in the world with Bangkok Taxis... I've never had a taxi without a seatbelt or one who refused to use the meter ever in Bangkok.

I agree you should refuse any taxi who won't use their meter.

I've heard you get better luck if you grab a moving cab instead of one that's just sitting there.

fedssocr
February 8th, 2011, 06:47
Hi

it was on sukumvit, on the street where xboys and lots of other gay bars are. It was Friday evening at about 11 pm

Sukhumvit? You mean Surawong?

I have approached taxis parked on Saruwong road as well and they always ask for some crazy amount. I always just laugh and shut the door. Then walk down the street a ways and hail a moving cab. Never had an issue doing it that way.

Beachlover
February 8th, 2011, 19:03
Is there any limit on the number of taxis allowed in Bangkok? Most cities in developed countries limit the number of licenses they will issue or make licenses extremely expensive.

Assuming this isn't the case in Bangkok (i.e. there can be as many taxis as taxi drivers want to drive) then this is the great thing about not having a limited licensing system... There's rarely a shortage of taxis in Bangkok. Where as if you go to a developed city like Singapore, it can be difficult to get a taxi at peak times. In Sydney, trying to get a cab out of the CBD at 1am on a Saturday night is a tough battle... even harder if you're only 10 mins away from the CBD (drivers prefer longer 30-40 min fares).

February 8th, 2011, 22:53
Like most things in Thailand taxi numbers are not controlled. Most of the drivers come in from the country and rent a cab, so it's not unusual for them to sometimes not know where they are going when driving across the city.

Beachlover
February 9th, 2011, 18:21
I'd rather have the odd taxi driver who doesn't know where he's going, than to have all perfectly trained taxi drivers but difficulty getting a taxi when I need one (i.e. shortage).

February 9th, 2011, 19:17
I'd rather have the odd taxi driver who doesn't know where he's going, than to have all perfectly trained taxi drivers but difficulty getting a taxi when I need one (i.e. shortage).

Agreed, spend time in Bangkok during a Thai public holiday such as Songkran etc.. you will notice the traffic flows and there are fewer taxis about. Of course if you know Bangkok, like any other city you can make sure that your taxi isn't going the roundabout route to get a higher fare. All in all I think Bangkok is one of the better city's in the world to get a cab at any time of the day or night.

February 10th, 2011, 13:56
Late at night or during rush hour taxis often try this no meter thing on me, most often than not I sweet talk them into using it, or bargaining down in a hearty way to a sensible figure, knowing of course what it should cost. So if you are a tourist always remember what you paid on meter for any trip.

As far as I know it is completely illegal not to use the meter and you are in your rights to call over the neaerest cop and complain, though good luck trying to find one.

My friend and tennis nemisis always screams at the top of his voice through open door, police! police! Which often does the trick though you have to be the aggressive sort to get away with it.

quiet1
February 10th, 2011, 15:37
As far as I know it is completely illegal not to use the meter and you are in your rights to call over the neaerest cop and complain, though good luck trying to find one.
My understanding is that the Silom area near Sois 2 & 4, and the Suriwongse area around Tawana to Rama IV are "mafia" controlled, in that the taxi drivers pay a hefty "fee" for the privilege of parking there to snag fares, hence the "no meter" line.

Maybe someone can clean up my description above, but I believe the police are *part of* that "fee" system, so I doubt calling on the BIB would result in much happening to the taxi driver.

February 10th, 2011, 16:23
Im sure corruption plays a part somewhere, its still illegal. Write down the taxis number and complain. My hotel also always takes the taxi number as we leave for any excursion just in case of trouble. Problem is if you do take a taxi on these terms every other tourist will be sitting ducks too, which they have become. So if you cant negotiate the fare down to near what it should cost just get out and flag another.
It isn't entirely true that only stationary taxis do this at all, I avoid all stationary taxis as they are usually surrounded by touts too, though in any busy area during peak traffic or late at night many taxis cruising will do the same.

I find great pleasure in tipping those who automatically put on the meter, so much pleasure Its usually to the tune of the con artists asking price!! :rolling: :blackeye: in your eye shit hole.