PDA

View Full Version : Dusit Thani vs Tarntawan--about the same price in April

asdsrfr-old
February 4th, 2011, 03:36
I am getting ready to book my hotel in Bangkok for a few days in April. I was surprised to see that the Dusit Thani is only 2700 Baht a night--only a little bit more than the Tarntawan. I've always stayed at the Tarntawan---but for the price difference I'm thinking of giving the Dusit Thani a try. Anyone stayed there recently. I really like the feel of the Tarntawan and my only reservation about the Dusit Thani is that it might be a bit "stuffy."

tomas1
February 4th, 2011, 14:09
I am a regular guest of Dusit Thani, two-three times a year. Yes, it is sort of formal hotel, but people are very nice, helpful and personal. I have never had any problems to bring anyone back to my room from the clubs. The location is of course fantastic, and still a small refuge from the hectic life outside with all the facilities. Try the poolarea. I would stay in Dusit Thani any time, and when the rates are as good as now, it is just an offer you have to take. :happy7:

thrillbill
February 4th, 2011, 17:35
I have stayed at both hotels and I didn't care for the Tarntawan. My thai bf and I never had any problem at Dusit, but he isn't a 20 year old either and the Thai staff always thinks he is from Singapore. I think sometime it is how the "boy" dresses that get them in trouble...or if you meet a "one night only" just bring him him later at night - no crowds.

Beachlover
February 5th, 2011, 09:18
Stayed in the Dusit Thani a few times and didn't find it stuffy at all. No problems bringing guests back to stay and the staff are always exceptionally friendly and helpful to me and my guests.

Does 2,700 baht include breakfast? If so, it's a no-brainer as their breakfast is usually 650-850 baht (can't remember which). It's a big hotel so every now and then they'll drop their rates when they're struggling to fill it. Le Meridien, Sofitel Silom and Lebua State Tower often drop their rates too.

If the 2,700 is for a superior room, then pay a little extra and get a deluxe room. Trust me. I think their superior rooms are a bit old and low down (still better than any mid-tier hotel though). Ask for a deluxe room overlooking the park (always ask to overlook the park) and you'll get a gorgeous room overlooking Lumpini Park with a stunning view of the Bangkok skyline. Can't beat that for value.

I used to stay in $60-$80/night hotels. Then one day, Dusit Thani had their deluxe rooms going for 3,000 baht/night inc breakfast so I gave it a go and never looked back. It's a world of difference from a mid-tier hotel. I'm happy with a budget of up to $160-180/night when I travel now. It gets what you need without being extravagant.