PDA

View Full Version : Accomodation in Patong area Phuket

Lerwick
January 30th, 2011, 18:43
Hello.

New member here and my first post.

I am planning a trip to Thailand late February/Early March. I would like to visit Phuket and it looks like my visit will co-incide with the Gay Pride.

Can anyone recommend accomodation there? I would like to stay close to the gay area (Paradise complex) and would like somewhere clean and functional, not too expensive and gay friendly if posssible. Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

John

stevehadders
January 30th, 2011, 19:02
Welcome to the Board!

I would advise you to look at www.gaypatong.com (http://www.gaypatong.com) in the first instance, as well as the Utopia website

I have stayed at Rendez-Vous, Connect Guesthouse and Blue Dolphin - all good and reasonable and right in the Paradise Complex - so perfect for the bars and a 10 minute walk to the beach (for me that is perfect).

I last stayed at Blue Dolphin - it is a guesthouse with massage. The room was really good (chose the large room) - there is no breakfast but many places close by, and although in the Complex was quiet at night (well it seemed so but I only stayed in 1 night!)

Good luck and enjoy Phuket

Steve

Beachlover
January 30th, 2011, 19:52
Almost all the hotels in Phuket and all of Thailand are "gay friendly" so you don't have to worry about that...

For hotels close to the Paradise Complex gay bars and close to to the beach (within 5-10 min walk of both places)...

Budget: Cheapest I'd go for is http://thebirdcage-phuket.com/. It's cheap, under 1,000 baht/night, clean, friendly, rooms with decent natural light and has a great location.

Budget-mid: I'd for for the Poppa Palace or Pacific Lite Hotels at 1,000-1,500 baht/night. Both are quite new, nice, clean and well presented rooms and great location.

Mid: http://www.royalparadise.com/ is right on top of the Paradise Complex where all the gay bars are. Rooms 2,000 baht/night+. Make sure you get a room in the main tall building (Paradise Wing). It's old and not perfect but the rooms are just ok and most importantly, you'll get a great view and lots of natural light as it's a skyscraper. Location's right outside the gay bars but 10 mins' walk to the beach.

High-end hotel: I'd choose http://www.laflorapatong.com . Haven't stayed there yet but think it's in line for my next visit. It's super-nice, right on the beach, has great facilities and nice rooms, but it's upwards of 6,000 baht/night. The other option is the Holiday Inn (main wing, in the middle of the beach).

All these hotels are in the central section of the beach, within 10 mins walk of both the beach and gay bars and Bangla Rd (main "walking street"). Some new places have popped up recently in that area but I've not stayed yet.

January 30th, 2011, 19:58
The original part of the Poppa Palace is getting pretty tired - room walls badly need re-painted etc.

Recenty they added a new wing (of suites) and another pool - but I think they spent all their money on that and forgot to refurbish the existing rooms!

Staff are always very friendly but they have some weird rules like 1000B deposit on a second key card for the room.

No joiner fee.

If staying there, try to be in the new suites if possible.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
January 30th, 2011, 20:15
You're probably right about that, Scotty. I haven't stayed there in 1-2 years I think. I noticed the new wing though.

gra46
January 30th, 2011, 20:31
As what beachlover said all are gay friendly as i dont like to stay to close to the scene i found this site greatit has maps and email and contact details of them all
choose Patong central and Kalim area there 3 sections depending on what you are after (apartments,Bungalows and houses,Guesthouses.)
I stayed away but hired a motorbike for 150 baht a day
Pm me if you like
http://phuketdir.com/directory/location/

Lerwick
February 3rd, 2011, 01:22
Thanks for the responses guy!

Quite a few pointers there. I've booked my flights now, so will be in Thailand in 2 weeks time. I'll get booking accomodation now.

Michael
February 3rd, 2011, 04:09
Welcome to the board!

There are loads of small guesthouses within the Paradise Complex, but few that you can book online. My advice is to just book the first night and then take a look around - everywhere will be happy to show you their rooms before you decide.

I used to recommend KN Guesthouse http://www.knphuket.com/ but there are now a few new competititors in the same soi that offer smart new rooms at reasonable rates. Just walk down the Soi, opposite the exit road of the paradise complex.

Lerwick
February 11th, 2011, 02:35
Well, i've booked the Royal Paradise Hotel. I tried a few of the suggestions here and either they were full or some simply didn't reply to my email.

It looke like I'll have to pay extra for breakfast, wi-fi and a joiners fee if I should have any gentlemen callers! But thought it best to book rather than hope to find somewhere when I arrive. It looks like it will be busy at that time.

Maybe not on the topic of this thread, but when I leave Phuket, I will be going to Pattaya. Am I likely to get a taxi at the airport at a reasonable cost or will it be rip-off prices? I've read some comments about airport taxi's on this board, might be best to use the Pattaya hotel's pick up service.

Thanks

ceejay
February 11th, 2011, 05:15
If you want, you can fly from Phuket to U-Tapao airport (near Pattaya):
http://www.utapao.com/flight_dome.php
Downside of this is that Bangkok Airways have a monopoly, and it is relatively expensive (around baht 3000)

If you do fly back to Bangkok and if it's your first visit to Pattaya, I'd use the hotel's pickup service which shouldn't cost more than 1200-1500 baht. The driver should know where he is going, and is saves having a Bangkok taxi driver drive you all over town looking for your hotel. That said, always have the phone number of your hotel with you, in case the driver gets lost and needs to phone for directions. It happens.

Lerwick
February 11th, 2011, 07:05
Hi ceejay. Looks like i'm learning all the time.

I've booked a flight from Phuket to Bangkok already. I didn't know about the flight to U-Tapao. The Hotel's pick-up is 1900 baht, which I thought was on the expensive side. I'm sure I'll get there, but it's just a case of the less I spend on neccessities, the more i'll feel like spending on enjoyment and 'extra's' :-)

Beachlover
February 11th, 2011, 20:28
Well, i've booked the Royal Paradise Hotel. I tried a few of the suggestions here and either they were full or some simply didn't reply to my email.
Cool... Note that all the hotels, except for some small guesthouses (like Birdcage) can be booked online via their website or Agoda, without needing to call or e-mail.

It looke like I'll have to pay extra for breakfast, wi-fi and a joiners fee if I should have any gentlemen callers! But thought it best to book rather than hope to find somewhere when I arrive. It looks like it will be busy at that time.
Yeah, Royal Paradise charge 500 baht/day for internet access... Sucks but can't avoid it.

I've brought a guest back to the Royal Paradise before and have never been stopped or had to pay a joiners fee. Just walk casually past them and no one will stop you.

Maybe not on the topic of this thread, but when I leave Phuket, I will be going to Pattaya. Am I likely to get a taxi at the airport at a reasonable cost or will it be rip-off prices? I've read some comments about airport taxi's on this board, might be best to use the Pattaya hotel's pick up service.
I wouldn't bother with the hotel's pick up service unless you don't care about paying extra. Just have the hotel's phone number and address with you.

If you're flying into Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) go upstairs to the departures level and grab one of the income cabs who've just dropped off a passenger. Offer 800 baht to get to Pattaya. You shouldn't need to pay any more than 900 baht. Negotiate quickly because they're not supposed to pick up from that area. If a security guard whistles at you, ignore him and get in the cab to leave quickly.

Alternatively, find a taxi service and book them in advance. Ordinary taxi services (not limos) should be 1,000-1,300 max.

rincondog
February 11th, 2011, 23:42
A good taxi service from airport to Pattaya is Toom taxi. E-mail at toom39@msn.com. 1200 B includes toll from airport to Pattaya. Better and cheaper than taxi at airport.