PDA

View Full Version : A study of Bangkok expats (working)

wowpow
April 29th, 2006, 18:54
Bangkok Post from PRWeb, based on CB Richard Ellis residential rental report)

"The expatriate community in Bangkok grew by over 13.8% from December 2004 compared to December 2005. There are now 61,913 foreigners with work permits in Bangkok, according to the latest CB Richard Ellis residential rental report, this excludes diplomatic staff. 22% of the total number of expatriates were Japanese followed by Indians (12%), Chinese (9%), British (9%), and American (7%).

These numbers are expected to grow, especially Japanese expatriates due to the growth in the number of Japanese companies manufacturing in Thailand.

The supply of the apartments in BangkokтАЩs Central Areas increased slightly in 2005 to 9,953 units, a 1.4 % increase from the third quarter of 2005, 142 new units in 3 building were completed in the fourth quarter of 2005 namely Sofitel Residence Asoke on Soi Sukhumvit 19, BT Residence on Soi Sukhumvit 8, and Blossom Ville on Soi Sukhumvit 63/4. Apartments are single ownership developments rather than multi ownership condominiums.

Sukhumvit is still the most popular area due to its wide variety of retail and entertainment facilities. This area accounts for 69% of the total stock in downtown Bangkok. Grade A apartments to comprise 1,526 units, only 15% share of the total stock. Key characteristics of grade A apartments are easily accessible with a good location, design, layout, interior, property management and adequate facilities for residents. Overall occupancy rates increased to 90.6 % and rents for grade A apartment properties rose by 1.4% at the end of 2005....."

more about condo accommodation at Bangkok Post (http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=93687)

April 29th, 2006, 20:36
There's some obvious confusion here - the number of ex-pats with work permits does not equal (and almost bears no relationship to) the number of ex-pats working. The first very large group is ex-pat business owners who do a visa run every 90 days and return on a Business Visa. This does not entitle them to employment, merely to be involved in business activities. Then there are those who are working illegally - and remember the term ex-pat doesn't simply mean Westerners or Japanese. Is a Burmese national who has slipped across the border and works in the construction industry an ex-pat? If not, why not?

One glance at the origins of this "survey" point up the vested interests involved. This "information" comes from a firm that is heavily involved in rentals of high-end properties to the ex-pat executive market. They are simply touting for business in that community by showing off their alleged expertise

Dick
April 30th, 2006, 03:40
Given that "The expatriate community in Bangkok grew by over 13.8% from December 2004 compared to December 2005" I would be interest to learn what the total percentage of farang is to Thai people in Thailand; i.e. by what ratio are we out and numbered? Then no doubt someone more clever than I will break it down into Thai vs. Yanks; Thai vs. Brits; Thai vs. others... etc.
What I would be really interested to know is how many of the expats currently resident in Thailand, have achieved Thai citizenship... as enables them to buy up to 1 Rai of land for their home. I'm not interested here in percentages, but actual numbers of living people. I've already grasped that it wouldn't be too many, but the numbers from someone in the know would be welcome.

April 30th, 2006, 13:44
Don't know what you're talking about, Dick. If you attain Thai citizenship, you can own ANY amount of land.

April 30th, 2006, 15:12
Don't know what you're talking about, Dick.

Isn't it obvious? Dick is talking dick, as always.

May 1st, 2006, 01:28
Is a Burmese national who has slipped across the border and works in the construction industry an ex-pat? If not, why not?

And Lao barboys! :alien: :cheers:

cottmann
May 1st, 2006, 11:03
....What I would be really interested to know is how many of the expats currently resident in Thailand, have achieved Thai citizenship....

But then you are no longer an expat, merely a foreign-born Thai.

May 2nd, 2006, 06:16
....What I would be really interested to know is how many of the expats currently resident in Thailand, have achieved Thai citizenship....SFA, dear boy - and why would you bother? Even boygeenyus has only progressed to Permanent Resident (and that's a FIIK answer to the obvious question). Step up to the mark, TeePee

May 2nd, 2006, 09:12
My citizenship application is in, homi old chap. Soon, I will no longer be an expat.

May 2nd, 2006, 09:24
Would that be "homi old crap" geenyus?

May 2nd, 2006, 10:51
No, dear. It would be "old chap". Why would I direct such a childish insult toward my good friend and guiding light of this forum, Homintern?