PDA

View Full Version : Last nite Saphan Kwai, Soy twilight , Tawan Show, etc.

January 24th, 2011, 14:04
Yesterday afternoon after spending hours at Chatucuk with a lovely Thai boy who had spent the night I received a call from a friend that works for me here in BKK to ask if I wanted to do some bars with him we agreed to met at 8 for dinner. He asked me when was the last I had been to Saphan Kwai I said I can't remember. First he took me to the Bee High go go 3 on stage....we left then he said he knew a place on Soi 17 named Charming Bar....off we went the place is a Thai for Thai place but we felt quite welcome had a saw a few cute straight boys and left for The 10:30 show at Tawan. As we had some time to kill I wanted to walt through Soy Twilight. They have found a way to pump music into the street I was fast paced rap. As we continued to walk the hawkers from the bars were so aggressive because of the lack of business that I kept saying "Don't Touch!". We couldn't help but walk by Dicks Cafe a place that I never understood the facination for.The outside was full of old-timers looking as if they were in a wax museum.
Got to Tawan just as the show began, first thing I noticed was that the seating had been changed and that a good 85% of the customers were Asian and the place was full. I really enjoyed the show most of the dinosaurs were gone. The show itself was pretty dam good everyone paraded butt naked on the stage the acts were all about macho guy either sucking eachother or fucking eachother. The finale was most of the big cook boys jerked off....All in all good value for money!

Beachlover
January 24th, 2011, 18:24
I sometimes visit a gogo bar to watch a show one time when I'm town. Maybe I should check out the Tawan show one night...

Question.... how long roughly is it from Chatuchak/Saphan Kwai to Silom by car?

January 24th, 2011, 18:32
The Taxi took about 20 minutes 115 baht on his clock.

January 24th, 2011, 18:34
I sometimes visit a gogo bar to watch a show one time when I'm town. Maybe I should check out the Tawan show one night...

Question.... how long roughly is it from Chatuchak/Saphan Kwai to Silom by car?

As driving any where in Bangkok it all depends on the traffic and time of day/night. Saphan Khwai is within (10mins) walk from Chatuchak, both of course have BTS and Metro stations. Driving could be anything up to 30 - 45 mins again depending on the traffic. On a good day you could drive Silom to Saphan Khwai in 15 mins ish.

Beachlover
January 24th, 2011, 18:57
Thanks, Happyboy.

Yeah, Combat, you're right about the fluctuations. Once I was driving (being driven) between the Dusit Thani and Siam Square and that road that goes North from Rama IV and past Chulalongkorn (spelling?) Hospital was so jammed it took about 45 minutes to get there. Probably could've walked faster.

January 24th, 2011, 21:33
As we had some time to kill I wanted to walt through Soy Twilight. They have found a way to pump music into the street I was fast paced rap. As we continued to walk the hawkers from the bars were so aggressive because of the lack of business that I kept saying "Don't Touch!". We couldn't help but walk by Dicks Cafe a place that I never understood the facination for.The outside was full of old-timers looking as if they were in a wax museum.

Hahaha, I think I was in the soi around the same time. I too noticed that all the outside seating of Dicks were taken up by elderly farangs. The thought that came to me wasn't one related to any wax museum, but took the form: "How did Dicks manage to collect so many cadavers only to prop them up on their seats?"

That said, Dicks had more customers (whether breathing or not) than any gogo bar at that point in time (that was around 9:15 or 9:30 pm), so they must be doing something right.

On my friend's request, we went back to the soi for Dreamboy's show about an hour later. Half the cadavers had moved inside Dreamboy. Unusually, Sunday night Dreamboy had about 50 percent farang customers (out of about 70 customers in the bar -- not a good night), when normally, it doesn't exceed 20 percent.

Got to Tawan just as the show began, first thing I noticed was that the seating had been changed and that a good 85% of the customers were Asian and the place was full.

85 percent is typical, but there will be days when farangs are more numerous. You also went on a Sunday night. Weekends tend to be busy at Tawan; weekdays are pathetic. Dreamboy on the other hand has more consistent customer numbers whether weekdays or weekends. What our observations go to show is that unless one makes repeated visits and adjusts one's conclusions for day of week and time of year, it's always a risky to draw any definitive conclusion about how any bar is doing from a single visit.

As for the new upholstery, it was put in sometime around August, if I'm not wrong, otherwise the arrangement of seats and stage has stayed the same.

January 24th, 2011, 22:01
85 percent is typical, but there will be days when farangs are more numerous. You also went on a Sunday night. Weekends tend to be busy at Tawan; weekdays are pathetic. Dreamboy on the other hand has more consistent customer numbers whether weekdays or weekends. What our observations go to show is that unless one makes repeated visits and adjusts one's conclusions for day of week and time of year, it's always a risky to draw any definitive conclusion about how any bar is doing from a single visit.(quote)macaroni.

Thanks Mack! Makes sense to me.

pong
January 25th, 2011, 09:10
1.so that must have been en enormous quick popinandout-as Be HIGH only opens at 21.00, as do all other SpnKwai bars.
2.did anyone not ask if there just happened to be a gay-organised special tourtrip going on that eve-today special DICK and Dreamyboy? Familiair faces of old BKK-hands or not?
(I once-e very long time ago, happened ti sit beside a group of 20-25 or so obviously all very gay men coming back from an organised Thai tour from a gay magazine at the time).

January 25th, 2011, 11:19
1.so that must have been en enormous quick popinandout-as Be HIGH only opens at 21.00, as do all other SpnKwai bars.
2.did anyone not ask if there just happened to be a gay-organised special tourtrip going on that eve-today special DICK and Dreamyboy? Familiair faces of old BKK-hands or not?
(I once-e very long time ago, happened ti sit beside a group of 20-25 or so obviously all very gay men coming back from an organised Thai tour from a gay magazine at the time).

Were you sober when you wrote this? :dontknow:

newalaan
January 26th, 2011, 05:45
He asked me when was the last I had been to Saphan KwaiThanks for the review, but you didn't spend very long in SKwai if you travelled to Suriwong for a 10.30pm show as Pong suggested, apart from wanting to go to the show any reason you didn't spend more time in SKwai? The last time i was in SKwai there was nothing happening before 9pm, has this changed? It would have been good to get an update on more SKwai bars, but I take it you didn't visit any other soi 20 bars?
both of course have BTS and Metro stations. Driving could be anything up to 30 - 45 mins again depending on the traffic. On a good day you could drive Silom to Saphan Khwai in 15 mins ish.I consider the 15-20 mins as happyboy experienced seems really quick, evening trips between silom and Saphan Kwai I always used to find were closer to combat's 30mins+.
Once I was driving (being driven) between the Dusit Thani and Siam Square If i'm going anywhere before midnight and it is on a BTS route i would never take a taxi unless i really had to. I have done it a couple of times when it has been raining or i'm in a lazy mood and always regret it. Dusit Thani (saladaeng) to Siam Sq by BTS can be as little as 5mins if you are lucky with train times and 10min at most. The steps down from the nearest BTS to chatachuk market are virtually right outside. As well as quicker, I just find its a more enjoyable way to get around with nice cool aircon inside.

Also, although I have never had a problem whilst in a Bkk taxi after midnight and when I've had a drink or two never give it too much consideration, but when going a distance such as to SKwai i have thought later of what could happen when the driver is racing along and there are close shaves, as there always are on the roads, without seatbelts! To be honest it's insane really to take the chance when you think about the damage possible at even only 40 mph impact, so before midnight i stick to BTS if i can, but to get around after midnight it's the only way.

Beachlover
January 27th, 2011, 18:09
Were you born a creepy f*ckstick?

Beachlover
January 27th, 2011, 18:14
Once I was driving (being driven) between the Dusit Thani and Siam Square If i'm going anywhere before midnight and it is on a BTS route i would never take a taxi unless i really had to. I have done it a couple of times when it has been raining or i'm in a lazy mood and always regret it. Dusit Thani (saladaeng) to Siam Sq by BTS can be as little as 5mins if you are lucky with train times and 10min at most. The steps down from the nearest BTS to chatachuk market are virtually right outside. As well as quicker, I just find its a more enjoyable way to get around with nice cool aircon inside.
Totally agree... but in this case I was dating a Thai boy who had a car and he came to pick me up and drive me to Siam Square for lunch.

If I'm on a BTS or MRT that takes me directly there without changes then it's a no brainer. Otherwise, I always consider both options. Looking out the window, if the traffic looks reasonably free flowing and it's not peak hour, getting a taxi can often be quicker if you need to get somewhere, which would require 2-3 MRT/BTS changes.

when the driver is racing along and there are close shaves, as there always are on the roads, without seatbelts!.
Strange, so many people complain about there being no seat belts in taxis. I've never been in a Bangkok taxi, which didn't have a seat belt for me, but then I alway sit in the front seat if I'm by myself so I guess it's the rear seat where they're sometimes missing seat belts.

January 27th, 2011, 18:17
Were you born a creepy f*ckstick?

Having another bad day are we?

Beachlover
January 27th, 2011, 18:32
Bad day?... I slept late and snuggled with the boyfriend... Didn't get to the office until midday and had a pretty chilled afternoon. About as good as it gets mid-week after a public holiday here in Sunny Sydney.

What did you do, Undaunted? Take prescription anti-depressants, drink crappy appletinis in a dusty Pattaya backstreet, get pissed and start throwing your weight around and insulting people?

January 27th, 2011, 18:48
Bad day?... I slept late and snuggled with the boyfriend... Didn't get to the office until midday and had a pretty chilled afternoon. About as good as it gets mid-week after a public holiday here in Sunny Sydney.

What did you do, Undaunted? Take prescription anti-depressants, drink crappy appletinis in a dusty Pattaya backstreet, get pissed and start throwing your weight around and insulting people?

For me a bad day would be being you!

January 28th, 2011, 01:48
... I slept late and snuggled with the boyfriend...