PDA

View Full Version : Gay Maps Of Pattaya

PattayaPlaces
January 18th, 2011, 17:42
Here's a list of the links to the various gay areas of Pattaya, Jomtien and Hua Hin. A new feature allows the zoom level, and type of map to be included in the link. This is useful for the Jomtien Complex, for example, where the Google map doesn't include the inside roads, and it is necessary to zoom out a bit to include all the places.

Pattaya Gay Maps

Boyztown
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Boyztown&zoom=18

Sunee Plaza
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Sunee_Plaza

Day Night Area
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Day_Night_Area

Pattaya Gay Nightclubs
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/The_Da ... ub&zoom=15 (http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/The_Dave_Man_Club&zoom=15)

Jomtien
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Jomtie ... &mt=HYBRID (http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Jomtien_Complex&zoom=17&mt=HYBRID)

Hua Hin Gay Map
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Hua_Hi ... fo&zoom=15 (http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Hua_Hin_Gay_Info&zoom=15)

January 23rd, 2011, 10:16
These maps should be very useful for any traveler here, can I ask why the Seven11's are all indicated as well?

Are these men who love men supermarkets?

Smiles
January 23rd, 2011, 10:40
Thanks for the effort on these maps Pattaya Place. I like the Google Map concept very much, and I suspect updating the maps (which is important ... they change names, they pop up unexpectedly, they go belly up just as unexpectedly) is probably easier to do on the fly than if the map is a JPG or other image format.

One small nitpick: I notice that you've designated most of the gay bars as either 'GoGo Bar' or 'Beer Bar'. I think the latter should be changed to 'Host Bar' ... a better description as well as being better known.
The term 'Beer Bar' is used for those large bar centres where they are mostly out of doors though covered from the rain by some individual or shared roof. There are lots of 'Beer Bars' in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Patong, though (arguably) 95% of them are straight, not gay. There are no beer bars in Hua Hin.

January 23rd, 2011, 10:48
If their is a googlemaps plugin why can't the owner of this sight use it and save us all the trouble of having to go to other sights? Surely its in his own interest to make SGT the one-stop-shop for gay Thailand????????????

Smiles
January 23rd, 2011, 11:40
If their is a googlemaps plugin why can't the owner of this sight use it and save us all the trouble of having to go to other sights? Surely its in his own interest to make SGT the one-stop-shop for gay Thailand????????????
Keeping gay venue maps up to date is a huge job. It means quite regularly having to check up the status of all the bars in all the main gay places in Thailand.
Many websites have tried keeping maps up to date ... almost all have a great deal of trouble actually accomplishing that.
I don't think the Admin of Sawatdee is in any way interested in a daunting task such as that ... and I don't blame him.

PattayaPlaces
January 23rd, 2011, 13:03
One small nitpick: I notice that you've designated most of the gay bars as either 'GoGo Bar' or 'Beer Bar'. I think the latter should be changed to 'Host Bar' ... a better description as well as being better known.

Thanks for this - I think you're right. I'll change these entries en-masse to 'Host Bar' - it'll take a little while as I need to write a bot to update multiple wiki entries at the same time.

PattayaPlaces
January 23rd, 2011, 13:07
Many websites have tried keeping maps up to date ... almost all have a great deal of trouble actually accomplishing that.
I don't think the Admin of Sawatdee is in any way interested in a daunting task such as that ... and I don't blame him.

It is a big job alright - I hope that by using a Wiki that anyone can edit, and an easy to use map interface, it'll be easier to keep up to date as a group effort rather than having a bottleneck of a single editor.

PattayaPlaces
January 23rd, 2011, 13:15
These maps should be very useful for any traveler here, can I ask why the Seven11's are all indicated as well?

Good question! I think they can be useful as landmarks to orient yourself in a new locations. PP is very open at the moment, so any type of place can be added. However if it starts to get cluttered, I'll add filters on the map to specify 'Gay Venue Only' or 'Gay Interest Only'.

January 23rd, 2011, 23:27
Very impressive.

January 24th, 2011, 06:09
I don't think the Admin of Sawatdee is in any way interested in a daunting task such as that.So hes not really interested in making this the #1 gay thailand sight? Hes not a businessman?

Smiles
January 24th, 2011, 09:54
" ... So hes not really interested in making this the #1 gay thailand sight? Hes not a businessman? ... "
I think he's interested in keeping Sawatdee as a thriving message board ... as it has been for 8 years now. Not sure that his 'dream' is any more than that.

January 24th, 2011, 13:17
With very little effort we can turn the 7eleven into places where all we want to do is to "eat, poo be winded and enjoy a good bath" oops thats my little surrogate baby boy. Um do 7eleven do nappies this Chinese new year?

Beachlover
January 24th, 2011, 18:17
I don't think the Admin of Sawatdee is in any way interested in a daunting task such as that.So hes not really interested in making this the #1 gay thailand sight? Hes not a businessman?

BadBoyBilly?... I bet at one point you were interested in being something other than a big lardy degenerate but that didn't really work out did it? :blackeye:

January 24th, 2011, 21:51
I have my reservations about making any map open to editing by anyone. Some people are not meticulous about accuracy and the risk is that with time, the map will acquire a lot of errors.

I don't think a binary classification (gogo versus host bar) is sufficient. I myself use a more complex system.

A classic host bar would be the type you find in Saphan Khwai. There's no gogo, but each bar has a bevy of host boys to sit with you, and be off'd by you. Hosts are different from waiters, which these bars also have -- and their job descriptions are different. Host bars have mamasans/papasans as well. Since these are not the characteristics of the typical non-gogo bar in Sunee Plaza or Jomtien Complex, I use a different term for the latter: open-front bars, in which there are no hosts, only waiters. For the customer, they are not primarily places to go to off a host, but for sitting, people-watching and whiling away the time, al fresco. And this is the other key difference: A host bar is enclosed, like a gogo bar, and not open to public view.

A variant of the host bar is what is typical for Chiang Mai. They are not gogo bars although they do a nightly show. Outside of showtime, the offable boys are dressed in street clothes, stationing themselves at the back of the bar (just like in Saphan Khwai), available to be called to sit with customers for a drink, a tip and hopefully an off.

Perhaps Smiles can advise - which description best suits Hua Hin's venues?

I also use two other terms: macho dancer bars and late-night dance bars, but there's no need to go into them in this post.

January 24th, 2011, 21:58
The term 'Beer Bar' is used for those large bar centres where they are mostly out of doors though covered from the rain by some individual or shared roof. There are lots of 'Beer Bars' in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Patong, though (arguably) 95% of them are straight, not gay.

I know exactly what you mean, and if ever there are gay bars like these, I think we'll need a better term. I personally find "beer bar" insufficiently precise since all bars sell beer. Currently I am leaning towards calling them cabana bars. The problem I have is that the term conjures an image of a single stand-alone bar with lots of fresh air around when in Thailand (and the Philippines) several are packed together to make a noisy slum.

Smiles
January 25th, 2011, 09:59
" ... Perhaps Smiles can advise - which description best suits Hua Hin's venues? ... "
There are no GoGo bars in Hua Hin. I believe gogo bars (both gay and straight) are a special animal ~ yes, even in Thailand ~ and need special 'zones' to exist in: e.g. Sunnee and Boys town have gogo bars because both are in a designated zone.
On the other hand, Jomtien has quite a few 'gay' bars, has no GoGo bars (that I know of ... either gay or straight) because it's not in such a zone. Jomtien has host bars only.

Because Hua Hin is not in a 'special entertainment' zone it's gay bars are all of the host variety: i.e. boys lounging around, smiling (hopefully), making conversation with customers, playing pool, trying to get taken off. In Hua Hin, all the boys double up as waiters as well ... and from what I've seen elsewhere, this would be the norm in other places as well: usually the 'waiters' are also available to be taken off ... which means they are 'hosts' as well.

GWMinUS
February 3rd, 2011, 03:47
COME ON Mack!!
I know you are a trusted authority on the Philippines.

BUT, they are not slums...
Great places to go with friends for an evening of beer and entertainment.
Try Torres Street in Davao.

PS On my way to the Philippines next week. Maybe I will post a report in the other Forum...