PDA

View Full Version : Talking Dictionary

x in pattaya
January 17th, 2011, 08:06
Since I seldom visit this board these days I don't know if this has been mentioned recently, but the excellent Paiboon dictionary is now available as a super excellent computer program. You can pick it up at Bookazine for something around B1,000. The first version has about 44,000 words, but you can immediately get a free upgrade to the new version which has over 100,000 words.

You can enter words in English or Thai and the search starts as soon as you begin typing. It brings up related words and phrases as well. The person pronouncing the words(the author, Benjawan Poomsan) speaks very clearly. You can bring the Thai word up written in different Thai scripts etc. You can also enter words phonetically in English that you may have heard spoken in Thai, but of course the success of doing that depends on whether your spelling of the sound coincides with the author's.

It's also available for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, or so I'm told.

Best B1,000 (or whatever it was) you'll ever spend in the quest to learn Thai.

http://www.paiboonpublishing.com/details.php?prodId=74

Richsilver
January 17th, 2011, 17:06
I have used many Thai dictionaries over the years and this application (which I use on my iPhone) is far and away the very best. I can't think of a way I could make it any better!