View Full Version : Funny things Thai boys say

April 29th, 2006, 05:18
Just got an unsolicited message on gaydar today from an OK looking young Thai man (not my type though).

"Can you meet all of my needs?"

I had never communicated with this guy before.
I answered, "I can but I don't want to."

Enough to bring out the romantic side of us all! You gotta give him points for honesty anyway.

So, I bet you are wondering, what if I thought the guy was stunning.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

April 29th, 2006, 07:35
"
Can you meet all of my needs?"

That boy means " Can all of my needs meet you ?

I can but I don't want to."

I want to but i don't can , As he will understand you !

Surfcrest
May 2nd, 2006, 08:55
I spent a week with one boy in Pattaya and several days with another in Bangkok over the past few months. I have several friends and each of the boys had their own friends. I know their friends, they know mine and we all hang out from time to time.

Both boys spoke the same way when they were talking about our friends, only thing I rarely knew which friends they were talking about.

They would say, "my friend, you" which meant my friend, not his.
They would also say, "you friend, me " which referred to his friend, not mine.

When my friends became his, his friends became mine it became really complicated especially when we were talking to other people about either his or my friends. I started to teach each of them how to use the possessive properly and sometimes they tried to and other times they forgot.

It got to the point that we never knew who we were talking about.
At least with "my friend, you" and "you friend, me" I had a vague idea and should have left it at that. These conversations could turn into great fits of laughter when we finally hammered it out who we were talking about, inviting to come to dinner with us, or were going out to visit.

Surfcrest

May 2nd, 2006, 13:31
Same thing happens all the time surfcrest.

Such converstaions with boys as:

boy: We go my room
me : We go your room? (confused look from me)
boy: We go my room (confused look from boy pointing at my chest)
me : Aha, we go my room (me smiling pointing at my own chest)
boy: (looking frustrated) Is what I said!

mai pen lai :drunken:

May 2nd, 2006, 14:36
It's even more complicated\If spaghetti could speak. :banghead:
One friend said, "Your friend me," meaning himself; while another said the same thing referring to a mutual friend. Another said, "My friend me," speaking of his brother.
Sometimes asking, 'who,' (Krai) or 'what's his name?' Kao Cheur Arai....? might clear it up.
On the other hand; a num I'd never seen before walked up to me on Road Two and said, "My friend you?" meaning, would I be his 'friend?'...or he wanted to be my friend? Mai Phen Rai; sometimes it's best to just go with the flow and not tink too much. I said, "Krap"...and off we went.
Being a pushover isn't all bad.

May 2nd, 2006, 16:50
Or about the classic: "SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT"

bucknaway
May 2nd, 2006, 23:29
Or while lusting away inside babylon and being asked... "You like Thai?"

May 3rd, 2006, 01:18
My favourite is - "not far - near near" or " 5 minute"

then 1 - 3 hours wait or walk later lol...grrrrrrrrrr

bkkguy
May 3rd, 2006, 01:39
I always used to like hastily scrawled messages that "my friend you telephone cum" which usually meant nothing more exciting than my (usually falung) friend had telephoned!

bkkguy

Smiles
May 3rd, 2006, 02:15
Driving down the highway Suphot will point to a grass-roofed, wooden-stilted, falling down resting hut stuck out in the middle of a corn field and say " ... my hou ... " (essentially meaning "that's what my house will look like when I finally build or own one" ).

Further down the road he'll slow down quickly with the single but meaningful word " ... poli ... ". How he understands a police stop is coming up I'll never know because for the life of me I can never see an indicator ... but he's always right, as are all the other Thai drivers.

And then there's always the usual " ... Melly Clitmat ... " for 'Merry Christmas', pointed out many times here, but I first heard in one of PeterUK's funky Board stories and hearing it never fails to make me smile.

I'm always " ... DayWIT ... " (for 'David') with very strong emphasis on the last syllable instead of the first.
Or, when horny or in any other way needful, I'm " ... sweets heart ... " always the plural on the 'sweet' for some reason: strange considering h never uses the English plural "s" on any other word.

Cheers ...

piston10
May 3rd, 2006, 06:59
An enjoyable thread to which most of us can probably add something.

It isn't really surprising that Thais have difficulty with the possessive, given the different way it works in the two languages - especially the fact that there is no possessive adjective (my, your, etc.) in Thai. Additionally, many of the Thais we are quoting have had no instruction in or explanation of English; they are trying to combine what they have heard of English with what they know of their own language. We should not be astonished by what they come up with.

Fatman41's example is a linguistic gem and instructive. The boy has no doubt been invited in the past to a falang's hotel with the words 'You come to my room', so he believes, not totally illogically according to his own lights, that this formula is the way of arranging to go to a falang's hotel. It's a funny mistake, as it turns out, but not utterly foolish. He's trying.

Generally, I have a great deal of respect for the ingenuity with which these boys, with no real knowlege of English, manage to convey their meaning. My favourite example is the boy who said to me, with obvious disapproval, 'Many falang say meking, meking'. Once I had made two words of 'meking', I thought for a moment he was using the Thai gay slang for 'active partner'. But, since I knew him to be a near-insatiable bottom boy, I couldn't understand why he should be complaining. I then took notice of his exaggerated and very expressive facial mime and realised that he was saying 'Many falang are superior, condescending, patronising, bossy' - he might have chosen to say 'up their own arseholes' had he known the expression. With no word in his English vocabulary to express his meaning he had found a route by which he could communicate using the few words he knew, and the 'conversation' went on. Full marks to him, I say!

piston10
May 3rd, 2006, 07:14
Smiles, I think the reason Suphot puts an 's' in the middle of this word can be explained. If he is aspirating the 't' (that is, making it sound like a full English 't' - something a Thai never has to do at the end of a syllable), then he's probably going to have difficulty getting from there to the next sound, 'h'. Practising it myself, I can see how the 's' provides a sort of transition for the tongue, which has got stuck behind the teeth for the 't' and has to be got out of the way for the 'h'. The 's' just makes it easier for him to bring the tongue down- so he goes for it!

To get him to say the middle letter of your name as a 'v' you have to instruct him in how to make this sound, which is so troublesome for Thais. He is certainly using both lips in trying to produce the sound and therefore always comes out with a 'w'. If it matters! - A 'v' uses only the lower lip; the upper lip has to be inert and motionless. Get him to press the lower lip right under the front teeth and, if necessary, get a good grip of his upper lip - make it immovable! You can actually make a perfect 'v' sound with your upper lip wrapped over the end of your nose!

Alternatively, just go on being Dawit!!

Smiles
May 3rd, 2006, 07:55
. . . the man is having a hell of time in the traffic today (and many other days) and has alrerady had his rearview mirror (on my side!! :cyclops: ) scrunched backwards and in this roundabout (on a straight steeet!! :blackeye: ) is travelling at a fair clip 2 or 3 inches from, eh, everyone else.
Smiles attempting to watch a movie ('King Kong') on this little TV/DVD thing attached overhead on the sunscreen but seeing and hearing nothing but the chaos all around (saying nothing). Four or five times within minutes Suphot cries out (what sounds exactly like) " ... CHEER!!! ... " .

A very strange thing to exclaim in the middle of this rubbish (thinks Smiles but says nothing, wondering what there is to "cheer" about and thinking back to the evening before when ~ on their last night together ~ they were dancing and drinking out there at a Isaan music bar on Petchburi Road and clinking glasses and sadly/happily saying goodbye and "cheers" a hundred times ... almost in tears).
So ~ after the traffic thinned Smiles asked him what the hell there was to "cheer" about after nearly dying a thousand grisly deaths. " ... CHEERS????... " he said. " ... Fuck! ..." he said (ever so clearly). This word not "cheers" ... this word "shist". ("Shist", "shist"??? What you mean?). "You know ... in toilet ... shist!!!"

Revelation! He was just swearing "SHIT" (not "cheers") everytime he came close to coming a major cropper in traffic ... everytime he amost killed his "sweets heart"!!

Shist ....

GWMinUS
May 3rd, 2006, 09:27
Come on SMILES...
Suhpot is a great driver.
Never gave me any SHIT moments.
Of course we where in Isan. Not dealing with the traffic as in BKK.
But I think he did say SHIT when he got lost in the fields, trying to take a short cut back to Surin.
All in all a very good driver!! And a great tour guide!!!
And also HOT HOT HOT!!! But then I cannot say that???

:bounce:

May 3rd, 2006, 14:05
Chicken Hair

Toot

Fish Bridge

Can anyone (Newbe) guess what they mean.

May 3rd, 2006, 14:14
What is a Num? A Fish bridge? A toot could be tooth, Chicken hair, goose pimples?

May 3rd, 2006, 14:21
What is a Num? A Fish bridge? A toot could be tooth, Chicken hair, goose pimples?

A Num is a young man.

No; not goose flesh.

Yes, toot could be tooth--But the one I'm thinking of is more...descriptive?...or perhaps I should say, sonic.

May 3rd, 2006, 14:29
Chicken Hair could = bad smell i.e. It smells like 'Shit in Here' or 'Shit in air' maybe?

May 3rd, 2006, 14:49
Chicken Hair could = bad smell i.e. It smells like 'Shit in Here' or 'Shit in air' maybe?

Wrong--But funny!

I think you might be using an accent more...Threadneedle Street...than Thai.

May 3rd, 2006, 17:53

Actually, that's my Birdy Num-Num humping the window. Whenever we let him out, he heads straight for the sweet spot and busts a move upon the window trim.

Here's a chop of Num-Num I made a while ago...http://upload4.postimage.org/179246/BNN_FunkyHat.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/179246/photo_hosting.html)

May 4th, 2006, 07:49
Let us out of the misery and tell, what is a fish-bridge? Num is what they call me quite often in Thailand so I did get to wondering. In my case it can't be sarcastic, is it because they dont know your name?

Fish Bridge=a slippery bridge, wet,dangerous? Bus stop? Chicken hair= baby-hair bum-fluff, fedder bedd, waterproof, bad haircut, umbrella or hat!
Toot= a fun person, a German tourist, a drink?

May 4th, 2006, 11:01
i just love how the say my name...Paul

so many variation from pon to prawn lol

May 4th, 2006, 11:34
Cedric dear, are you sure they're calling you "num" and not "loong"?

May 4th, 2006, 11:45
another classic is - " I lie you - sure!"

Could be disconcerting for first time visitors lol

May 4th, 2006, 17:34
Chicken hair is a feather duster.

Toot is (a) flatulence. (Maybe they picked that one up from falang?)

A Fish Bridge is a pier.

When they call you, Num, what tone do they use, `Licky? It can also mean, 'Soft.' A few other things may sound like it.
Knew a Num with the Chu Len (nickname) Nu (Rat) I misunderstood and called him Nao (Rotten) until I embarrassed him by calling him Nao in front of the desk clerk and he said, "Mai Nao!" which was totally confusing because I thought: 'Not now! and I hadn't even hinted we do 'it'--Or any sort of hanky-panky in the hotel lobby!
I didn't feel too bad, however: Nu called me, 'Darkling!' I'm very fair--But you know how they are--so I ran to Foodfair to get some buttermilk (Granny's Sunblock.) to pat on my titties. I should have remembered to buy some insect repellent: the buttermilk attracted so many flies, people thought I was wearing a shiny blue-black bra! My lime-green thong clashed--So I had to remove it and...complete the ensemble!
That story always brings a tear to my eye. I miss Nu so much I'd even put up again with the fly bites--But he left me!...Only saying, "Yedt Meao mahk-mahk!" (I think that means, 'Too many f'ing cats!')

PS:
Baziel, no wonder the poor birdie poops! You'd poop too if you had to go out in public wearing a damn hat that clashes with your complexion!
At least the poop...to be diplomatic...goes with the hat.

May 4th, 2006, 18:37
Edith when they say "Num" its sort of personal but they dont look into my eyes. What is this "soft" soft?

I knew it was a good spot to fish,but I just thought nah, too obvious. Mind sharing were this good "fish bridge" is too be found. I hardly ever catch any-thing but it its very nice when I do. Steamed with ginger and shallots, all the boys sharing, kiddies fighting on the settee television blaring granny chopping.

May 4th, 2006, 18:41
Noom (low tone) = a young man
Noom (falling tone) = soft

"Noom" is not usually used to refer to people over thirty or so.

May 4th, 2006, 18:49
Mind sharing were this good "fish bridge" is too be found. I hardly ever catch any-thing but it its very nice when I do.

The one refered to was the old (cruisy) one: "I go fish bridge look-look falang.".

Old Music hall joke:

"I took my girl fishing."

"Catch anything?"

"I hope not!"