PDA

View Full Version : Saphan Kwai/Kampaengpet-Chatujak updates.

newalaan
January 10th, 2011, 21:52
For my upcoming trip to Thailand in about 3 weeks time, planning on a visit to Saphan Kwai for a change as its a while since I've stayed up there. It also coincides with a New Year offer from one of the students I met at a 'Mind The Gap' live gigs-night last year, of a tour around some of the Thai disco/clubs closeby. So just hoping some members have been up to that neck-of-the-woods recently and can offer up some current info.

Anybody stayed at Karmanee Palace Hotel recently who can advise if its still a decent place for 2-3 nights? Never had a problem there on previous visits but it was getting fairly 'tired' just wondered if any upgrades had taken place and if the roof-top restaurant was still on the go. Great view all around and on a night with a balmy breeze made it a near-perfect place to eat from their wide-ranging menu (which inc, snake,frog and other Issan temptations). Only big beer bottles available for sharing but not expensive.

And what about the pubs and karaokes around Saphan Kwai, can't see that there would be new openings, but any closures? Soi 20 still the place to go?

Also anybody visited any of the disco clubs outside Silom/Suriwong recently? I visited GStar and Rachada 8 last visit, but didn't have time for any of the Kampaengpet/Chatujak pubs/clubs/discos and it's a while since I've been there, any updates or new places worth considering?

llz
January 11th, 2011, 02:25
And what about the pubs and karaokes around Saphan Kwai, can't see that there would be new openings, but any closures? Soi 20 still the place to go?

My information is two months old but as you say things do not change very quickly in Saphan Kwai.

In fact nothing had really changed except for a new owner at Street Boys (the former is now in charge of David Boys in Pattaya). He is a young guy who seemed to have new and good ideas to revive the place, including some gogodancing. I hope he can succeed.
I felt there were less boys than before in the bars including in Be High but this was perhaps a matter of good or bad days.

Also two male massage places in the area : one on the right when entering Liberty Garden Hotel (Ima Spa), and one in a small soi on the northwest side of BTS Saphan Kwai station : Pruksa Bureau Massage.

Besides all street carts who lure many customers every night (except on Mondays), another great eating place is the open air Rakhang Thong Restaurant in front of Elisabeth Hotel - delicious, good atmosphere and some eye candy among the waiters if you are on a lucky day.

pong
January 11th, 2011, 17:28
Its how ilz writes it and I also say it in dec. '10.
the disco's are in fact not in Spn kwai/Pradiphat, but in nearby Kampaeng Phet road, south side of weekend market and do not get going till very late. I only passed by and saw that HTL still very same as I always saw it, so no idea about its inside now. In general i support his comment that this area also appears to be in a slowly further decline. All bars in the Be High/Stax soi, and only Charmming remaining outside. was reported closed for a short time, but has reopened. The 2 former short-time hotels in that section of street have also closed and torn down. There are still acroos the big road.
There is also adonis sauna in soi Elisabeth HTL and 2 other notorious sauna's nearby, 69 underground, opposote the Big C and Pharose1 in a sidesoi of Pradiphat. There are also a few of those combined massage+_more palces/shops in nearby Lard prao/lowest sois.