PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Chiang Mai

January 6th, 2011, 17:14
Just want to know some of your thought. I am planning to visit there for 4 days, but been worrying that the local taxi might not be up 24 hours.

newalaan
January 7th, 2011, 00:11
Just want to know some of your thought. I am planning to visit there for 4 days, but been worrying that the local taxi might not be up 24 hours.I wouldn't think you would have a problem finding tuk-tuks at any hour of the day. The times I have been in Chiang Mai without a car I found getting around the city easy enough, even when visiting Differ, Reflex, nightclubs etc.. leaving 3am there were always tuktuks around. However those who actually live there full time might be better to advise if this is still the case.

Where I did miss the car was for day trips outside around Chiang Mai, so the last 3 times I have visited I have driven there.I used the car to get to places outside Chiang Mai and anywhere difficult to get to, and evening parked up the car at PJ's Place where we stayed and just used tuktuks. Having the car allowed me to have a night's stop-over in Sukothai which we enjoyed, also it made suggestions of places to visit by the owners of PJs Place easier to get to if they were off the beaten track.

I plan always to drive when in Chiang Mai on future trips.

cdnmatt
January 7th, 2011, 18:15
You'll be fine. Just remember that traffic laws in Thailand are more like suggestions.

Wesley
January 7th, 2011, 18:26
You'll be fine. Just remember that traffic laws in Thailand are more like suggestions.

TAXI EARLY NIGHT TUK TUK LATE AFTER BARS CLOSE, MAYBE TAXI TO 3AM

chillnorth
January 9th, 2011, 19:49
Genuine taxis in Chiang Mai usually work through a dispatcher, unlike Bangkok, where you can flag one down on the street. There are exceptions to that, possibly around larger hotels. The telephone number of the company is prominently displayed on the sides of the taxis-- sorry I don't have it with me. They tend to stop running at 1am but if you know you're going to be out even that late it's wise to call the office and book a taxi before midnight because the office doesn't necessarily answer the telephone after that. Rarely will a taxi in Chiang Mai use a meter-- the price is quoted.

Tuk tuks certainly can be found through the night, but pricing is uneven and I've noticed a tendency to quote outrageous amounts (300 baht for what should be a 60 or 80 baht run) after hours, especially if you're out on an obvious prowl for a good time. Your guest house or hotel might be able to set you up with a reasnoably reliable tuk tuk driver who will give you a set price for picking you up and dropping you off at various points through the night. Not cheap but maybe the easiest way.

Of course it depends on where you plan to go.