PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Pub / Restaurant Bangkok

Surfcrest
April 28th, 2006, 11:09
On Wednesday night I stopped in for dinner and drinks at Dick's on The Boy Soi in Bangkok.

I've eated at Dick's many times, although only once this year back in February.

I arrived during the rush (After 8) and the place was packed, with only one table remaining.
Unlike some other Pubs, Dick's doesn't need to toss their staff out in the street to bring customers in nor do they need to employ far more than they need.

The manager welcomed me at the door and found the last table for me. With all the waiters tied up serving customers, he sat me down, took my order and began serving me until the other waiters took over from him. Rather than having only one waiter serving specific tables, any waiter appears to be able to serve any customer thus reducing the wait or requiring the customer to flag their specifi waiter down if they are busy.

I noticed the manager going from table to table asking each how they were enjoying their stay. Surely this manager and indeed the restaurant understand customer service the way any good business should.

The food was pretty good. I ordered a beef salad that was unlike any other that I have had and found it exceptional, especially with the creative use of herbs. The food overall was just about up to the level of the best Thai pub food that have had in Bangkok. Without a knife, perhaps the peices of cicken could have been smaller, more bite sized. This however is merely a small knock at what turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable dinner.

Surfcrest

April 28th, 2006, 13:09
I think we are talking about the same place and if we are I think it is called Dick's Cafe, which also has a sister branch in Pattaya.

I found the Bangkok Dick's to be popular and always attentive (smile) and I think that one reason it is so popular is that there is no other (as far as I am aware) cafe/restaurant on that soi, unless you count the Thai street foodies. Further, it is one of the few places where you can sit outside and watch the boys and other Farang and strike up a conversation with a neighbouring patron. The menu is a little limited but I found the food always to be of a decent standard and served quickly when compaired to other Gay Resteraunts/Cafes in Bangkok. I also found it a good stopping off place at the beginning, middle or end of the night whilst you contemplated where you wanted to go next.

I enjoy your posts Surfcrest and I think we have similar views on most places you have visited. Keep on posting matey.

lonelywombat
April 28th, 2006, 14:34
As my flight home is 12.45AM I usually go to the massage place next to Dicks, for my last boy.

By sitting out the front of Dicks, I can make my selection at leisure from the boys sitting out the front next door.

April 28th, 2006, 14:42
That place (Bonny) is the absolute WORST gay massage place I have ever been to in Bangkok. I wouldn't recommend it to Hedda!

painai2
April 28th, 2006, 19:19
I agree Bonny's facilities leave a lot to be desired, but I met the hottest number there one night after seeing the shows just a basic place to do it was fine.

April 28th, 2006, 19:36
A friend of mine was tempted to have a massage at Bonny's but thought he would have a drink at Dick's first, check on the Bonny boys and then have his massage. However on his approach to Dick's he was accosted by oner of the boys who was, he thought, rather rude (and so very non-Thai) and decided to give the place a miss. I'm pleased to hear boygeenyus' comments

April 29th, 2006, 05:14
Dear LMTU,
It'swonderful that you make so many posts but do try to stay on target. Let's have a separate one for @Richards?

Back to Dicks . I thought this little ditty would amuse you all but you do need loudspeakers on your computress

http://www.catsprn.com/sounds/wav/dickens_cider.wav

April 29th, 2006, 12:47
That place (Bonny) is the absolute WORST gay massage place I have ever been to in Bangkok. I wouldn't recommend it to Hedda!

If that means you won't be there; it has, at least; one thing going for it.

April 29th, 2006, 12:50
A rather rough comment for you, Edith. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

wowpow
April 29th, 2006, 12:55
One of the great Gay Cafe's of the World. Unparalleled people watching - fellow customers, doormen, boys going to work at the bars or returning after their first off of the evening, bemused punters from around the world, touts, straights sneering at the wierdos, cabaret boys flitting from bar to bar, massage boys, flirtatious waiters, vendors and beggars.

Service is charming, reasonably swift and tasty snacks always available. There is a choice of the outside terrace, for nicotene addicts and their unfortunate friends and neighbours, or air conditioned inside. Free newspapers and magazines are stored by the toilets, there is always an art sale displayed on the walls and Mr. Lucas the owner is there most evenings for a chat.

Bonny Massage has some cute guys. I was sad to read of some unhappy customers. I only went there once to see Mr. Johnny - incandescently handsome and sunsequent winner of Dragoncastle's Sexy Swimsuit Competion at BPF Pink in the Park 2004.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/1sanitree.jpg
courtesy somone I can't remember sorry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/JohnnyBonny_A.jpg
Courtesy Thai Guys cover

April 29th, 2006, 14:21
A rather rough comment for you, Edith. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Oh, I can be such a butch bitch!
And there is no "wrong side" of any bed I wake up on.
To keep from getting up on the wrong side of the bed; I always get out at the end.
Some end....

lonelywombat
April 29th, 2006, 14:26
[quote="homintern"] However on his approach to Dick's he was accosted by oner of the boys who was, he thought, rather rude (and so very non-Thai) and decided to give the place a miss. I'm pleased to hear

If you judged every venue by the rude comments of one doorman or dancer, you would not go to any bar or massage place in LOS.

May 3rd, 2006, 01:36
Dicks is one of my fave places to watch the world go buy. And the food is quite good.

bkkguy
May 3rd, 2006, 01:47
to watch the world go buy

given the soi, we assume this is not a typo!

bkkguy

May 3rd, 2006, 02:35
to watch the world go buy

given the soi, we assume this is not a typo!

bkkguy

exactly!

May 3rd, 2006, 07:10
Dick's cafe is a cool and convenient place to hang out for a break during the evening.
The people-watching seats outside provide an ever-changing panorama. Good for a coffee or whatever between bars, or while deciding where to go, or who to consider.
Meals are generally good.
The service can be a bit slow when they are busy, but the waiters are certainly cheerful and friendly. As a 'Westerner' I am often surprised how 'overstaffed' some places in Thailand can appear. However, this is not one of them.
In summary, a bit of a treasure in that soi.

I've been to half a dozen massage places in Bangkok, some of them 5 or more times.
I went to Bonny once, had the worst excuse for a massage I've ever had, and would not go back, unless desperate. Haven't been desperate for over two years now. There's better options about.

May 3rd, 2006, 07:10
Dick's cafe is a cool and convenient place to hang out for a break during the evening.
The people-watching seats outside provide an ever-changing panorama. Good for a coffee or whatever between bars, or while deciding where to go, or who to consider.
Meals are generally good.
The service can be a bit slow when they are busy, but the waiters are certainly cheerful and friendly. As a 'Westerner' I am often surprised how 'overstaffed' some places in Thailand can appear. However, this is not one of them.
In summary, a bit of a treasure in that soi.

I've been to half a dozen massage places in Bangkok, some of them 5 or more times.
I went to Bonny once, had the worst excuse for a massage I've ever had, and would not go back, unless desperate. Haven't been desperate for over two years now. There's better options about.