PDA

View Full Version : Songkran in Phuket?

asdsrfr-old
January 3rd, 2011, 10:37
HI all-

Some friends who are based in Hong Kong are planning to attend Songkran in Phuket this year. I am thinking of joining them from the US.

I know that this particular holiday has it's haters and admirers on this forum--but I've never been and I was wondering how it is in Phuket. Has anyone ever attended it there?

Thanks for any insight.

pong
January 4th, 2011, 17:52
no-not personal, but this is what I gathered from others:
1.the further in the south, the less fervent it is done-shorter and with less ''stamina'' (in the water-throwing excitement).
2.date may also vary from the standd 14/4.
3.be aware that this is also THE main holiday for any Thai-also for those a bit better off. They also like to escape and go Phuket-bound for some luxury in those days.
Sites like tripadvisor are more likely to give detailed answers-by searching for posts around that date or by word.

thrillbill
January 5th, 2011, 20:32
Though I work/live in Pattaya, my Thai bf and I have celebrated Songkran in Phuket three different years. I don't know the dates for it this year (you can find out through Google) but it lasts for two days and that is it. (It isn't like Pattaya that goes on and on and on and on and on.. for a week then has an "official" two days of Songkran). In Phuket, the first "day" starts in the late afternoon with their "walking street" blocked off and all the tourists and Thais have their water gun fights. Then the next full day, the parade of pickups and locals splashing each other begins. We like Phuket for our Songkran with its cleaner beach and sea; the great sea food restaurants walking distance from Paradise Complex; and the two dance clubs in the gay area. Then after that we fly back to Bangkok, and usually there is a Foam Party at Babylon or a big Songkran gay dance party at some hotel.

thrillbill
January 5th, 2011, 22:35
True, very important to book flights into and out of phuket within a couple weeks. Everything gets booked up during this week since it is the biggest holiday in Thailand so the Thais are also traveling around. :hiding:

asdsrfr-old
January 6th, 2011, 05:36
Thanks for all of the info!