PDA

View Full Version : Siam Kempinski Hotel Opens in Bangkok

Beachlover
December 25th, 2010, 19:47
Anyone tried this new hotel yet?

It's a big new 5-star hotel, which just opened next to Siam Paragon. Apparently Kempinski is Europe's oldest luxury hotel chain (I've never heard of it) and this is their "first" property in Thailand. I read they had one property before but it burnt down and never re-opened.

Looks interesting. Rooms look very nice. I like the look of the big bathtubs. Terrace suites get a private outdoor jacuzzi! More hotels should do this.

Huge free-form pool, which is very attractive. You could get a good 50-100 metre lap in that.

But rates are a bit high, I think. I had a look and it's upwards of 6,000 baht ($200+) for deluxe and 8,000 for exec room. You could get a riverfront room in the Shangri La for that. Hope it comes down.

http://www.kempinski.com/en/bangkok/Pages/Welcome.aspx

Some shots from Skyscraper City Forum:
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/Kempinski.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/KempinskiContrast.jpg
Interesting, the contrast between the tin sheds in the foreground and the modern buildings in the background! In many cities, riverfront real estate is generally highly valued. In Bangkok, many of the canals are lined with slum-type constructions. I wonder why this is.

Room shots from TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ngkok.html (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1724201-Reviews-Siam_Kempinski_Hotel-Bangkok.html)

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/room-seen-from-balcony.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/bathroom-seen-from-room.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/room-bed.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/room-seen-from-bathroom.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/balcony-seen-from-room.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/bathroom-of-room-29.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Bangkok%20-%20Kempinski%20Hotel/siam-kempinski-hotel.jpg

Thai Dyed
December 25th, 2010, 20:38
Beachlover, Kempinski is majority owned by the Crown Property Bureau of Thailand, something I thought an astute businessman such as yourself would know. You should stop slumming at tawdry places and get a taste of what life has to offer beyond your limited horizons.

I am shocked that they are offering rooms starting for as little as 6000 Baht! That must make it one of the cheapest Kempinski properties in the world so I am further stunned that you would find this expensive.

Beachlover
December 25th, 2010, 21:04
Well, hotel rates in Bangkok and a few other SEA cities like KL are generally quite low so it's not surprising Kempinski's BKK property has lower rates relative to its other properties.

I generally have a ceiling of 5,000 baht/night for accommodation... can't justify spending more right now. Cost comes out of my pocket. No company/employer paying for me.

Thanks for the info... Never heard of the Kempinski brand before so you'll have to forgive my not knowing its background.

Thai Dyed
December 25th, 2010, 21:09
Thanks for the info... Never heard of the Kempinski brand before so you'll have to forgive my not knowing its background.

All is forgiven! You sometimes project yourself as being very worldly and I took this opportunity to tweak your dong.

Beachlover
December 25th, 2010, 21:24
Tweak my dong? :tongue3:

bao-bao
December 25th, 2010, 22:59
Hmmm. Not slamming conspicuous consumption if anyone wishes to participate, but Bt5,000 is a lot more than I'd choose to spend for a room to write, rest and sleep in. Lovely if you have that kind of disposable income, though... dinner's on you! :thumbleft:

I wouldn't enjoy staying there knowing I could buy another round trip ticket to fly to Thailand for the cost of 10 nights there.

The place looks nice, though. Thanks for the pictures.

Beachlover
December 27th, 2010, 17:19
I wouldn't enjoy staying there knowing I could buy another round trip ticket to fly to Thailand for the cost of 10 nights there.
We all have a different perception of value. Some people fly business class but I wouldn't enjoy paying an extra $3k to fly business to Thailand knowing for that amount I could pay for 2 weeks' food/accommodation or stay in an even better hotel. But if I'm buying an airline ticket for my parents I've no problem paying for them to fly business. Can't put them in economy.

Hmmm. Not slamming conspicuous consumption if anyone wishes to participate, but Bt5,000 is a lot more than I'd choose to spend for a room to write, rest and sleep in. Lovely if you have that kind of disposable income, though... dinner's on you! :thumbleft:
I don't think $150/night for a room is too much anymore. A few years ago I loved staying in backpacker hostels. When I first traveled to Thailand I stayed in 1,000-2,000 baht/night hotels like the Narai Hotel and the Ballys Suite SIlom and thought that was luxury (Ballys Suite Silom had nice new room fittings). Then I thought I should try something nicer like the Dusit since I could afford it and boy was it worth it! Soon after that I realised paying for exec lounge access at most hotels (not the Dusit, lounge there is crap) is also worthwhile. I value the comfort, stability and amenities/convenience of a good hotel, especially if I often have to work out of it... home/office away from home and all.

chillnorth
December 27th, 2010, 17:50
That is a good price for a Kempinski hotel. There are several others in Asia.... I'm surprised if this is the first in Thailand.

Price is relative, Beachie. It may be a matter of disposable income, but for the long haul from the States I guess I'm sufficiently spoiled that not only does it have to be at least a business seat, but one from a non-US carrier, a conceit my business manager (along with other board members surely) considers insane. Mind you, I'm based in Thailand now and a lot of the travel outside is on business at the client's expense, but 18+hours in the back seats of a United/Northwest-now-Delta at this stage in my life would require something much stronger than Ambien, and not much less acceptable to the authorities than morphine.

Beachlover
December 27th, 2010, 18:08
Yeah, I'm lucky I only fly 7-10 hrs to get into Asia. Economy is no problem and no discomfort at all for me. I'm fairly small built (compared to most Caucasians) and have no problem stretching out and falling fast asleep in economy class seats for full-service carriers (not LCC seats though).

I would see value in business if I was really uncomfortable in economy seats or I had to fly 18-24hrs... otherwise, not worth paying $3k just to get lounge access, better food and be separated from the riff raff for 9 hrs... but for a good hotel to live/sleep/work/relax in, I'm more than happy to pay $150 as opposed to $30-$50. Good to bring a cute guest back to a nice place too.

If you fly at your employer's or clients' expense it's totally different. I'd be demanding business class too. I have friends who fly business/first only at client expense.

sydneyboy
December 28th, 2010, 03:50
To put it as charitably as possible it gets very mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. It has obvious teething problems and serious service issues that need to be addressed.

Beachlover
December 29th, 2010, 18:33
Yeah, I saw the bad reviews about service on TripAdvisor... hope they fix it up. I think I might stay here next trip. Tempted by the enormous pool. And been thinking about staying outside of Silom and closer to the central Siam Square area.

bao-bao
December 29th, 2010, 22:00
We all have a different perception of value. I don't think $150/night for a room is too much anymore. I value the comfort, stability and amenities/convenience of a good hotel, especially if I often have to work out of it... home/office away from home and all.
... and that's fine if that's what you want, Beachlover. Again, I'm not slamming conspicuous consumption or pointing a finger at anyone - but I'd bet you'd agree it's a matter of wants vs needs here. For $150 I can put a child through an entire year of schooling with enough left over to buy some groceries... and that's satisfaction that lasts long after I'd have checked out of the hotel - but all of life is choices. While I also spend three to four hours a day at a desk there (not working, of course since I don't have a work permit - LOL) I don't need more than basic safe surroundings to look at a laptop screen.

Where are you taking me for dinner? :hello1:

Beachlover
December 30th, 2010, 22:27
For $150 I can put a child through an entire year of schooling with...
The flaw in that logic is if you qualify all your expenditure that way, where does it end? For your $1,500 airticket you could put TEN kids through school with extras. That's a "want" rather than a "need" too. Do you ever eat out? Do you own or rent? Why not forgo ever eating out, live in a smaller place in a less desirable location and put the money to charity? Do you get haircuts? Cheaper to cut your own...

I'm not slamming conspicuous consumption... it's a matter of wants vs needs here.
You might not be "slamming" conspicuous consumption but I'm sure you're agree you're talking down on it to an extent. We all have differing scales of what's conspicuous. Superior living environments make me more productive, upbeat, healthier, saves me time and more. So to me, it's not conspicuous to me at all... it's smart. But of course, there's a line to be drawn somewhere.

bao-bao
December 31st, 2010, 02:50
For $150 I can put a child through an entire year of schooling with...
The flaw in that logic is if you qualify all your expenditure that way, where does it end? For your $1,500 airticket you could put TEN kids through school with extras. That's a "want" rather than a "need" too. Do you ever eat out? Do you own or rent? Why not forgo ever eating out, live in a smaller place in a less desirable location and put the money to charity? Do you get haircuts? Cheaper to cut your own...
Sorry I hit a nerve, but let's not be too kneejerk about comparisons, please. Yes, I eat out - but I don't spend $100 for a meal when an enjoyable, healthy meal that will hold body and soul together can be had for $5 - most times. I've also stayed in a $100 hotel room in Thailand for two nights, but it's not the norm for me. To each their own - and don't take it personally... I didn't mention you, per se.

I'm not slamming conspicuous consumption... it's a matter of wants vs needs here.
You might not be "slamming" conspicuous consumption but I'm sure you're agree you're talking down on it to an extent. We all have differing scales of what's conspicuous. Superior living environments make me more productive, upbeat, healthier, saves me time and more. So to me, it's not conspicuous to me at all... it's smart. But of course, there's a line to be drawn somewhere.
Well, you may have chosen to interpret it as condescending, but it was - as are all posts here - just my personal opinion that what I view as needless expenditures (designer clothes, etc.) aren't worthwhile in the grand scheme of things. I think Bt5,000 a night for a hotel room is wasteful, and I'm sure that's NOT just me. I can be healthy, upbeat and productive most anywhere I set my mind to it, but again - I'm just me.

It's lovely if you have the disposable funds to spend on yourself and find that rewarding... it feeds the economy. I'm not saying you don't practice charity yourself - and this isn't a contest, so don't let yourself be upset by what you choose to do in your own life.

Let's keep this civil and just agree to disagree, shall we? Have a great 2554! :occasion9:

Brad the Impala
December 31st, 2010, 05:07
I didn't mention you, per se.

A bit disingenuous! BL had just posted that he generally had a 5,000 Baht ceiling, which you followed with "Not slamming conspicuous consumption if anyone wishes to participate, but Bt5,000 is a lot more than I'd choose to spend for a room....". Pretty clear that your comment, and the figure, was a direct response to the previous post.

Let's keep this civil and just agree to disagree, shall we? Have a great 2554!

Indeed indeed, each to their own.

bao-bao
December 31st, 2010, 06:09
A bit disingenuous! BL had just posted that he generally had a 5,000 Baht ceiling, which you followed with "Not slamming conspicuous consumption if anyone wishes to participate, but Bt5,000 is a lot more than I'd choose to spend for a room....". Pretty clear that your comment, and the figure, was a direct response to the previous post.
The post you refer to was ten clicks back and five days ago - so it wasn't really "just posted", but thank you for pointing it out so I can clarify things: I wasn't attacking Beachlover. Razzing him a bit, maybe, but not attacking.

Beachlover
December 31st, 2010, 09:49
[quote="Brad the Impala":22ihrkf2]A bit disingenuous! BL had just posted that he generally had a 5,000 Baht ceiling, which you followed with "Not slamming conspicuous consumption if anyone wishes to participate, but Bt5,000 is a lot more than I'd choose to spend for a room....". Pretty clear that your comment, and the figure, was a direct response to the previous post.
The post you refer to was ten clicks back and five days ago - so it wasn't really "just posted", but thank you for pointing it out so I can clarify things: I wasn't attacking Beachlover. Razzing him a bit, maybe, but not attacking.[/quote:22ihrkf2]
No no no... I wasn't offended and no nerves hit so don't stress. I think Brad's right and you were referring to me or at least others like me but whether you were or not doesn't matter because I know you're usually civil and your intentions are rarely bad. It's just a robust discussion. I'm not "uncivil" unless someone else is.

Sorry I hit a nerve, but let's not be too kneejerk about comparisons, please.

My reply was simply to introduce some logic to that thinking you often convey - that we might qualify our expenditure by comparing it to what that money could buy for someone poorer... My suggestions probably felt like a kneejerk reaction to you as much as the children's education did to me.

You've pointed out, what you feel is an overspend on hotels as over $100/night, a few times since I knew you. This surprises me as in many places, $100 doesn't get much. You can't even get in the Travelodge (budget hotel) in Sydney for that and I'm sure it's similar in the States.

I guess it's all relative to what we see around us too. Personally, I find it hard to see $150/night as conspicuous consumption when I see friends my age typically put in $300-$400/night hotels (including food etc.) by the banks and firms they work for. And deservedly so, in my opinion (they're smart, work like dogs and add a lot of value). I'm also around people who regularly spend $400-$500/night on hotels... so to me, $150/night seems modest.

I'm a big believer that people who make their own money should spend it the way they see fit for themselves. If it's charity or breeding horses, good on them. I dislike people being pressured by guilt to give up their hard-earned money to causes (and yes, I know some of the wealthiest in the world do that right now). This is how human nature works. You might see a person who buys a $8,000 suite case (which I would cringe at ever buying myself) and think that's filthy, but the chances are that person's worked like a dog and taken big risks to build an enterprise which employs and pays wages to 10,000 poor and uneducated people who would otherwise be starving. So if the suit case makes him happy, great. I'll happily buy it for him as a gift.

I guess, that's where I'm coming from... We both have different personal opinions and I respect you sharing yours.

bao-bao
December 31st, 2010, 21:57
I'm a big believer that people who make their own money should spend it the way they see fit for themselves. If it's charity or breeding horses, good on them. I dislike people being pressured by guilt to give up their hard-earned money to causes (and yes, I know some of the wealthiest in the world do that right now). This is how human nature works. You might see a person who buys a $8,000 suite case (which I would cringe at ever buying myself) and think that's filthy, but the chances are that person's worked like a dog and taken big risks to build an enterprise which employs and pays wages to 10,000 poor and uneducated people who would otherwise be starving. So if the suit case makes him happy, great. I'll happily buy it for him as a gift.

I guess, that's where I'm coming from... We both have different personal opinions and I respect you sharing yours.
We agree on some points, and that's what makes the world interesting - so thanks for the thoughts. Although I'm not old enough to have lived through the depression era or WWII I come from humble roots and while I'm a far cry from a Cheap Charlie I am more conscientious about spending than some (again, not you - unless the rubber slipper fits - LOL). Easy for any of us to justify our actions if we're not vigilant about it, and I freely admit I'm not up for sainthood.

One point we definitely agree on is that people are free to spend their money as they see fit, so I'll leave it at that and wish everyone a good 2554. :hello1:

Brad the Impala
December 31st, 2010, 23:48
[quote="Brad the Impala":1ilx9izl]A bit disingenuous! BL had just posted that he generally had a 5,000 Baht ceiling, which you followed with "Not slamming conspicuous consumption if anyone wishes to participate, but Bt5,000 is a lot more than I'd choose to spend for a room....". Pretty clear that your comment, and the figure, was a direct response to the previous post.
The post you refer to was ten clicks back and five days ago - so it wasn't really "just posted", but thank you for pointing it out so I can clarify things: I wasn't attacking Beachlover. Razzing him a bit, maybe, but not attacking.[/quote:1ilx9izl]

On a point of fact, BL's comment about a 5,000 Baht ceiling, and your comment referencing "anyone" spending 5,000 Baht, were separated by less than two hours and were the third and sixth posts in this thread!! Glad to read that you weren't attacking him, as there seem to be more than enough posters willing to do that, with as little justification.

Refreshing to see posters politely agreeing to differ after an exchange of views.

Beachlover
January 1st, 2011, 09:16
Bao Bao usually treats posters with differing views with respect so it's a pleasure to return the courtesy.

attacking him, as there seem to be more than enough posters willing to do that, with as little justification.
Going off topic... Yes, lots of attempts, mostly driven by "bitter old f*ckstick syndrome"... none have succeeded!

Beachlover
January 18th, 2012, 23:33
Not sure if I should start a new thread or just add it to this old thread...

So I ended up staying here for a week last year and it was so good I went back again this year. ItтАЩs a winner тАУ fantastic all round!

The hotel's located at Siam Square, right behind Siam Paragon. If you can imagine being in the busiest part of Bangkok and then stepping into this peaceful, elegant oasis of serenity with an expansive pool and garden lounge area... thatтАЩs the Siam Kempinski.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Lobby.jpg

ROOM

Loved the room design... simple but elegant and relaxed. The colour tones and patterns in the timber, marble, carpets and fabrics are gorgeous. I paid between 7,000-8,000 baht/night (USD$230-$260) for the deluxe room each time. Think I might try one of the cabana rooms with pool access next time.

Mini bar soft drinks and beers are free and thereтАЩs a Lavazza (not Nespresso?!) capsule coffee machine in the room.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Room.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Bath.jpg
Bath tub looks small here but is actually quite big... wide enough for two to sit side by side while making out. :happy7:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Balcony.jpg
Balcony overlooking the tranquil garden is a sweet spot for that first kiss...

POOL

Massive pool and garden lounge area тАУ definitely the sweetest part of the hotel. You get multiple swimming pools (largest is big enough for 50-metre laps) in this beautiful, tranquil setting sheltered by trees. One of the smaller half-hidden away pools is a nice spot for making out.

The pool is a gorgeous area to lounge around sipping martinis and munching on fresh fruit and som tam salad all day... my BF joined me when he wasnтАЩt working. Poolside service is fantastic. ThereтАЩs a cool pagoda poolside bar/cafe thing on one side.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Pool1.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Garden.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Pool2.jpg
Bottom right: You can see the al fresco breakfast area

BREAKFAST

Got to be one of the nicest and best-value breakfasts in town... For 800 baht, you get a champagne breakfast in this beautiful al fresco setting in the garden. Hard to describe how nice and relaxed this spot is. My boyfriend joined me most mornings before work and loved it.

You get the usual buffet of breakfast food, fresh fruit and freshly squeezed fruit juice cocktails plus an a la carte menu to get omelettes, eggs Benedict and that sort of thing cooked and served to you on demand. Great coffee and free flowing champagne tops it off.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Breakfast1.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/Siam%20Kempinksi/Breakfast2.jpg

SPA

The Kempinski Spa is fantastic. I had the тАЬseasonal massageтАЭ each time I arrived тАУ 3,600 baht for 90 mins. The therapist is the most skilled IтАЩve come across anywhere. The treatment rooms have en suite bathrooms and are nicely fitted out. The gym is well equipped.

DOWNSIDES

The entrance is a bit of a distance from the main road but that was fine for me as my BF picked me up most times we went out. Siam Paragon is next door and has a great food court with lots of quality eateries, shops and amenities. It can be a pain getting cabs late at night but staff are really helpful.

Internet is free at 256kpbs but you have to pay (400 baht/day, I think it was) for 512kbps high-speed internet, which I need as I do a lot of phone and conference calls over the net... unnecessarily annoying.

OVERALL

So yeah... awesome place to relax and slow down in Bangkok. Definitely my тАЬgo toтАЭ hotel there until something better comes along.

I also found the Siam Square area much nicer than Silom, which is where I used to stay. Forget staying in Silom from now on!

If you donтАЩt stay in the hotel, visit for the al fresco champagne breakfast when the weatherтАЩs good!

sydneyboy
January 19th, 2012, 16:36
Thank you for this excellent post. This hotel is on my agenda for my next trip. Two questions. What was the gym like? Also how far is it to walk to, say, the Hyatt Erawan which has one my favourite restaurants, Tables.

Beachlover
January 19th, 2012, 21:55
Hey, Sydneyboy... The gym's on a high floor and overlooks the pool. I recall it's spacious, well equipped and there's plenty of water/towels lying around. Can't quite recall if the cardio machines had individual TV screens and headsets etc. at this hotel (at least a couple of the hotels I stayed at recently did) as I only used it for weights and stretches.

I also remember they have scheduled exercise classes and Thai kick boxing training... but I always just do my own thing.

--

It takes 2 seconds to walk to Siam Paragon via the side entrance as it's just next door or 2-3 minutes to walk to the main road from the front entrance. You can ask them to ferry you to the road in their little golf buggy thing too.

I've walked to the Hyatt Erawan from the St Regis (takes 5 minutes) before but not from the Kempinski... it's only a few hundred metres so doubt it would take longer than 10 minutes.

--

Also recommend eating at Sra Bua Restaurant, on the ground floor of the Kempinki on your way to the spa/gym lifts. Apparently it's one of the best Thai fine dining restaurants in Bangkok, as highly rated as Nahm restaurant. I'm kicking myself for not having eaten there despite staying at the hotel twice... we just ended up going out and eating elsewhere every night so never got around to it.

Enjoy!