View Full Version : Bar boys / money boys / taxi money boys ???

December 17th, 2010, 04:57
Ok, so I'm almost ashamed to admit it but after going to LOS many times now I STILL have next to no idea what the difference is ( if any) between taxi money boys, bar boys and money boys !

On my travels I've always "assumed" that taxi money boys where basically just guys who being out for a night out who decided on the spur of the moment to make (quite) a few Baht for themselves from a passing farang they met in a bar or club etc, however as I was always unsure and always "assumed" or was aware that that may actually just have been straight forward money boys using the taxi excuse to let them / the farang save "face" so to speak I always then dressed up "payment" for their services as "here's some money to help with your taxi home", which was always received gratefully under that same pretense. Likewise with bar boys, I just "assumed" that they were also moneyboys who just happened to choose to always work from the same particular bar for reasons best known to themselves maybe involving having some sort of regular lifestyle and having their friends around them etc ? and money boys, well I just assumed that they were plain and simple, lay it on the line, lets go sort of guys with no requirement for any sort fancy dressing up as above put on the transaction - as I am always wary of getting it wrong and either insulting a "taxi boy" or offending ( and pissing off ) a money boy I tend to treat every single guy the same and paying everyone and what I figure a money boy would expect i.e.1000-1500 baht or so.......so someone put me out of my misery, am I totally stupid or is there basically no difference in all three types of guy ???

cdnmatt
December 17th, 2010, 05:29
They're all the same. The goal for all of them is simple -- help you alleviate the burden of carrying around a heavy wallet. It's just the tactics that are different, but they all have the same end result in mind.

December 17th, 2010, 05:38
Oh yeah I get that bit :-) but I've read on a few other (dating) sites people saying things in their "ads" like "definitely no money boys, but bar boy ok" - and some other people saying really horrible things about money boys but not anyone else ? surely it's all just same - same but NO different :-) ! and people are just deluding themselves ? - and likewise re the taxi boy saga, personally I'm happy with an up front "I'm a money boy" line and then everyone knows where they stand ! :-)....because as you say the one thing you know is that they are going to go home that little bit better off and you on the other hand are not ! - well financially speaking anyway :-)......although ( nearly always ) worth every penny if you ask me no matter what they wish to call themselves ! :-) So, is there a subtle difference like a bar boy is happy to sit in a bar (drinking) all night with you ( with you paying of course ) and then go home whereas a money boy is just all about down to business and move on etc perhaps ????

dab69
December 17th, 2010, 06:08
dunno what a taxi money boy is.
sure wish my luck was better getting a cute
motorcycle boy in the queue.
rarely get a cute driver

Beachlover
December 17th, 2010, 09:06
I always then dressed up "payment" for their services as "here's some money to help with your taxi home", which was always received gratefully under that same pretense.

LOL... I've never heard them called "taxi money boys" before.

If they're after money or accept money they're money boys. But there are varying categories of money boys:

(1) Full-time money boys are the gogo boys and host bar boys making a full-time living offering sex and companionship to men. Can include freelancers at DJ station, street prostitutes and such. They expect money and I doubt you need to be subtle about it.

(2) Part money boys do it on the side. They also study or have a job. Some can be fairly direct about being a moneyboy and others like to be subtle. If it makes you comfortable, hand over some money with the pre-tense of "taxi money".

(3) Opportunists don't really go out with the aim of pulling a trick each night but if a wealthy farang takes a liking to them they'll offer themselves up for a little cash. It's nicer to be subtle with them by offering "taxi money" so they don't feel too dirty about it. There's a bit of a blurry line between (2), (3) and (4).

(4) Poor boys (for want of a better term) have a little more integrity about their body and won't have sex with you just for the money. They have to actually like you, be interested in you or intrigued by you. But since they're quite poor, it's good manners for you to pay for everything and offer them some help getting home after your little fling (which they may or may not take). A farang I met on an earlier trip told me this. I wouldn't really call this category a moneyboy, actually.

The fifth category is normal boys just out to have a good night. They have a degree of integrity and class that says they won't have sex for money. They go with you because they're attracted to you. If you directly offer them money afterwards, they'll be quite insulted and feel VERY dirty (and so should you)! At the most, ask if they want help with a taxi... if they so, the line is clear.

On my earlier trips, I wasn't entirely sure about some boys, whether they were money boys or expected money, so my way of feeling it out was to ask them how they were getting home and if they wanted some money for a taxi and if so, how much. If he's not a money boy the answer will often be, "I take bus" or "no no taxi only xx I have money". Just let them tell you. Unless you're absolutely sure, don't spoil a perfectly genuine encounter paying them like you would a prostitute. Makes me cringe when I hear of this.

I remember one boy on one of my first Bangkok trips. I'm pretty sure he was a moneyboy because I looked at photos on his phone and so many of them had him with older farang! But he refused all offers of any help with a taxi getting home and insisted on paying for his share of meals etc. When I got home I found all these little thumbnail photos of his face in my toiletries kit and bag etc. which he'd planted LOL.

anakot
December 17th, 2010, 17:19
I always then dressed up "payment" for their services as "here's some money to help with your taxi home", which was always received gratefully under that same pretense.

LOL... I've never heard them called "taxi money boys" before.

If they're after money or accept money they're money boys. But there are varying categories of money boys:

(1) Full-time money boys are the gogo boys and host bar boys making a full-time living offering sex and companionship to men. Can include freelancers at DJ station, street prostitutes and such. They expect money and I doubt you need to be subtle about it.

(2) Part money boys do it on the side. They also study or have a job. Some can be fairly direct about being a moneyboy and others like to be subtle. If it makes you comfortable, hand over some money with the pre-tense of "taxi money".

(3) Opportunists don't really go out with the aim of pulling a trick each night but if a wealthy farang takes a liking to them they'll offer themselves up for a little cash. It's nicer to be subtle with them by offering "taxi money" so they don't feel too dirty about it. There's a bit of a blurry line between (2), (3) and (4).

(4) Poor boys (for want of a better term) have a little more integrity about their body and won't have sex with you just for the money. They have to actually like you, be interested in you or intrigued by you. But since they're quite poor, it's good manners for you to pay for everything and offer them some help getting home after your little fling (which they may or may not take). A farang I met on an earlier trip told me this. I wouldn't really call this category a moneyboy, actually.

The fifth category is normal boys just out to have a good night. They have a degree of integrity and class that says they won't have sex for money. They go with you because they're attracted to you. If you directly offer them money afterwards, they'll be quite insulted and feel VERY dirty (and so should you)! At the most, ask if they want help with a taxi... if they so, the line is clear.

On my earlier trips, I wasn't entirely sure about some boys, whether they were money boys or expected money, so my way of feeling it out was to ask them how they were getting home and if they wanted some money for a taxi and if so, how much. If he's not a money boy the answer will often be, "I take bus" or "no no taxi only xx I have money". Just let them tell you. Unless you're absolutely sure, don't spoil a perfectly genuine encounter paying them like you would a prostitute. Makes me cringe when I hear of this.

I remember one boy on one of my first Bangkok trips. I'm pretty sure he was a moneyboy because I looked at photos on his phone and so many of them had him with older farang! But he refused all offers of any help with a taxi getting home and insisted on paying for his share of meals etc. When I got home I found all these little thumbnail photos of his face in my toiletries kit and bag etc. which he'd planted LOL.

Beachlover... You must be a stunner among farangs. Just a minute ago I was reading about Cambodian guys coming to fisticuffs overy you and now I hear a fellow has seeded (love tha word) your toilet bag with pics of his self... WOW LOL indeed. The one I've bonked for a decade now always needs 'help' with the rent. Lucky I am able to provide him with a solution...

Beachlover
December 17th, 2010, 21:23
Well, I'm not Caucasian, I'm Asian. I'm also in my twenties so not unattractive.

Yuck LOL. That boy did not "seed" my toiletries kit LOL. He put a little photo (about 1cm x 2cm) in there and on a couple of other places in my stuff. That fling didn't end so well. He got a bit upset when I insisted I didn't have the capacity for a real relationship (living 9 hours away was one obstacle) and there were a few tears. So it was a bit of a shocker arriving home and obliviously finding his face hidden here and there! Live and learn...

December 18th, 2010, 01:15
BL - for someone who shows nothing but disdain and contempt for prostitutes and those who make use of their services I find your extensive knowledge of the classifications, motivations and modus operandi of the Thai male prostitute to be delightfully Freudian.

Impulse
December 18th, 2010, 13:10
He more than likely was a moneyboy.But since he was close to your age and you are good looking,he might have felt foolish trying to charge you.

quiet1
December 18th, 2010, 13:33
Well, I'm not Caucasian, I'm Asian. I'm also in my twenties so not unattractive.
??? Care to elaborate on that last comment? It seems to imply that everybody in their twenties is attractive.

Beachlover
December 18th, 2010, 14:41
That's true. Correction... not everyone in their twenties is attractive.

He more than likely was a moneyboy.But since he was close to your age and you are good looking,he might have felt foolish trying to charge you.
Yeah, that's my guess too. He was actually older than me. I think I was 23 or 24 at the time. He was 26. He lied the first time and said he was 22 LOL.

December 18th, 2010, 19:20
That's true. Correction... not everyone in their twenties is attractive.

Yeah, that's my guess too. He was actually older than me. I think I was 23 or 24 at the time. He was 26. He lied the first time and said he was 22 LOL.

Well I don't think that theory stacks up at all - I'm fucking GORGEOUS and they still charge ME.

:dontknow: :dontknow:

December 18th, 2010, 19:30
Well I don't think that theory stacks up at all - I'm fucking GORGEOUS and they still charge ME. :dontknow: :dontknow:

I love it....Whatever you do don't change that mirror you have

Beachlover
December 18th, 2010, 19:42
... or the whiskey you drink. :occasion9:

December 18th, 2010, 20:11
... or the whiskey you drink. :occasion9:

I've never drank WhiskEy in my life and I never shall.

There is only one true Usquebaugh and that is Single Malt Scotch Whisky (preferably Laphraoig Quarter Cask) - sipping which is comparable only to listening to a choir of angels singing the Hallelujah Chorus in the Gaelic.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

Beachlover
December 18th, 2010, 20:37
I've heard about Laphraoig... Keep meaning to buy a bottle at duty free.

Did you know Japan and Taiwan produce exceptional whiskeys too? Hibiki Single Malt 17 years... nice as.

December 18th, 2010, 20:45
I've heard about Laphraoig... Keep meaning to buy a bottle at duty free.

Did you know Japan and Taiwan produce exceptional whiskeys too? Hibiki Single Malt 17 years... nice as.

Beachlover don't encourage Scotty to drink, you know it makes sense...HIC

pong
December 19th, 2010, 17:27
thats indeed a nice overview by BL. Could have been drawn from a book. Remember yee all: TIT=Thai is Thailand, so anything is vague and blurred and there are overlaps and not-too-clear divisons all around. It is just for the purpose of a description. (But I myself really doubt of the idea about poor boys really holds). Besides- ''khon djon=poor people''; is a distinct Thai name. But again this does not clearly divides them from other classes.
One major category is not mentioned: that is named the ''serial relations'' but that means for longer time as 1-nightstands. These are often seen as the prized animals. Many compare it same-same as marriage with ladies.
Then there are the super-hi-class rentals. these wont even take a taxi, they will want a private limo-[plus the ''tip'' to pass on to that driver]. The Thai gossip, that some very famous former movie/music stars are operating like that.

cdnmatt
December 19th, 2010, 23:41
(3) Opportunists don't really go out with the aim of pulling a trick each night but if a wealthy farang takes a liking to them they'll offer themselves up for a little cash. ..... Poor boys (for want of a better term) have a little more integrity about their body and won't have sex with you just for the money. They have to actually like you, be interested in you or intrigued by you.

I could be wrong, as I've never tested this theory. But I don't think I've met a single under 30, poor, single Thai (man or woman) who wouldn't sleep with me for 1000 baht. If they're married or in a relationship it's different, but if they're single I doubt I'd have any problem getting them into bed if I wanted.

It might be different for you though, because you're Asian. I'm white, so I automatically get some special, kinky status. We're prized possessions over here! Especially if you're a white guy in his 20s, decent looking, looks young (most people assume I'm in college when I first meet them), dress nicely, make decent money, etc. Whew, talk about the jackpot for them!

You have to remember, even if you're like me and not religious in the slightest, we are raised in Christian societies, with Christian beliefs & morals. Whereas obviously, Thais are raised with Buddhist beliefs & morals. They don't view humanity and life the same as we do.

Beachlover
December 20th, 2010, 21:04
Remember yee all: TIT=Thai is Thailand, so anything is vague and blurred and there are overlaps and not-too-clear divisons all around. It is just for the purpose of a description. (But I myself really doubt of the idea about poor boys really holds). Besides- ''khon djon=poor people''; is a distinct Thai name. But again this does not clearly divides them from other classes..
Thanks, and yeah, totally true. There's no clear cut definition.

(But I myself really doubt of the idea about poor boys really holds). Besides- ''khon djon=poor people''; is a distinct Thai name. But again this does not clearly divides them from other classes..
The "poor boys" category was mainly to explain what you should do as a matter of courtesy if you are wealthier or older than the boy you're dating in the case of a genuine fling relationship where he isn't doing it for the money and doesn't expect to be paid. In Asia, it is custom for the older/wealthier or higher status person to pay so you should look after your partner.

In most cases you will be wealthier than the boy you're with. (In Thailand ) I've only had one instance where the boy I was with was quite well off and a few instances where the boy I was with wasn't rich, but was doing pretty well for himself (i.e. not poor by any means). I tried to pay for most things but they would try to chip in equally too.

Then there are the super-hi-class rentals. these wont even take a taxi, they will want a private limo-[plus the ''tip'' to pass on to that driver]. The Thai gossip, that some very famous former movie/music stars are operating like that.
LOL... Someone told me Tommy Zag did this.

I could be wrong, as I've never tested this theory. But I don't think I've met a single under 30, poor, single Thai (man or woman) who wouldn't sleep with me for 1000 baht. If they're married or in a relationship it's different, but if they're single I doubt I'd have any problem getting them into bed if I wanted.
Well, it varies depending how poor you're looking at. But I really don't think it's as absolute as you make it out to be and your perspective will vary, depending on the kind of people you spend time with. Sure, a certain segment of the Thai population can be fairly liberal about who the have sex with and many are open to having sex for a little payment, but there are those with a certain degree of integrity about themselves who would not give themselves to someone just for cash.

It might be different for you though, because you're Asian. I'm white, so I automatically get some special, kinky status.
Most Thais don't seem to think I'm a foreigner when I first meet them. Unless I make it obvious or I speak first, the first words out of their mouths are often Thais. It's the same when a boy sidles up next to me in a club/disco, they'll often ask a question in Thai.

I've realised this is actually a great thing because it means when they decided to chat me up they didn't do it under the assumption that I'm a wealthy foreigner. They just like me for who I am. Not because I might be wealthy or exotic LOL.

You have to remember, even if you're like me and not religious in the slightest, we are raised in Christian societies, with Christian beliefs & morals. Whereas obviously, Thais are raised with Buddhist beliefs & morals. They don't view humanity and life the same as we do.
Totally true. It's amazing how the whole Christian thing puts a filter on your eyes huh? Don't even need to be Christian. Just need to grow up in a Christian society.

However, I think even outside the f*cked up clasp of Christianity, people still value certain things to an extent, like integrity in who they have sex with, not being an easy "slut" and valuing their body and sexuality.

Impulse
December 21st, 2010, 07:21
Well,I'll be there in a few weeks hitting up the money boys.
I'm a year older but 25 pounds lighter so I feel pretty good about myself.I might try to hit on a non-money boy if i were to get the chance.But...alas,not enough time I'm afraid,so I'll take the easy route and hit the go-go's in Sunee and host bars.
I don't think of some of the host boys really as money boys though.They can be very sweet and most of them are gay so you can have a nice boyfriend experience with them.
maybe won't be so slutty this trip and stick to one boi.

Beachlover
December 21st, 2010, 21:03
I'm a year older but 25 pounds lighter so I feel pretty good about myself.I might try to hit on a non-money boy if i were to get the chance.But...alas,not enough time I'm afraid,so I'll take the easy route and hit the go-go's in Sunee and host bars.
That is great. Well done :-)

How long are you in Thailand for? I guess the thing with money boys is you are guaranteed a hook up for the night so I understand the reluctance to "take your chances", which is what life is about, but if you're there for a couple of weeks, consider giving it a go for a night. Not in Pattaya, but if you're in Bangkok. You sound like a nice guy and I'm sure there are more genuine Asian boys who like to be with an older farang so you never know... If you ever settle down in Thailand this would be the way to go. Just for quick hook ups, maybe moneyboys are the way to go.

I don't think of some of the host boys really as money boys though.They can be very sweet and most of them are gay so you can have a nice boyfriend experience with them.
Erm, they are definitely moneyboys. But I think the attraction is they don't give so much of a prostitute experience. :happy7:

Anyway, have fun, regardless.

Impulse
December 22nd, 2010, 00:15
How long are you in Thailand for?
About three weeks.I guess that's long enough to meet someone in bangkok,but knowing myself,I would lose patience very quickly and take the easy way out with a moneyboy in bangkok,lol.
But to retire here,yes,I would prefer a relationship where he cared about me somewhat,but with the age difference,money would always be a factor

Erm, they are definitely moneyboys. But I think the attraction is they don't give so much of a prostitute experience.

Anyway, have fun, regardless. You're right about that,where as the go-go bois want to leave right away,the host bois will often want to make a night of it and can be lots of fun.

Thanks,I will have a great time,as i always do.

Beachlover
December 22nd, 2010, 16:47
I never knew there was that difference between gogo/host boys.

Age/money might be less of a factor if you look away from the moneyboy scene, I think. Still always a possibility but less likely.

Have a great trip! Don't go nuts if a Thai boy makes an insensitive comment. :happy7:

lonelywombat
December 22nd, 2010, 17:53
Can I get a indication of where you find a host bar in Pattaya. I am not positive I could name one that fits the descriptions made here. I like the idea. But is it theory or a fact.

I have heard of host bars in BKK but have never found one. Maybe I was not really searching hard enough, but I would like to have the experience.

Some suggestions for Pattaya and Bangkok as well please.

newalaan
December 23rd, 2010, 03:38
Can I get a indication of where you find a host bar in Pattaya. I am not positive I could name one that fits the descriptions made here.

I never knew there was that difference between gogo/host boys.

I could be wrong here but i think Rocket is using the term 'host' to refer to the boys who work in the beer bars such as Come-in, Corner, Forest House around sunee and the other gay areas, where there tends to be a combination of freelancers and waiters/greeters who are often quite happy to be taken out to the clubs for a night of dancing, drinking, fun as well as the sex, rather than the quick-to-the-short time business and customer turnover that the agogo boys often prefer.

I think the agogo experience is much more business like, as they are happy to be offed by whoever will come up with the cash. The beer bar guys sometimes approach guys they want to get to know a bit more and are not under the same pressure for the off fees as many multi-task in the bar, and being sociable is a big part of getting customers to sit and have a drink or few. Also they can give reasonable excuses not to go with a customer they dont fancy going with, and that flexibility suits a great many of them.

December 23rd, 2010, 04:56
I would also think that the name "Host Bar" refers to the Thai style places which didn't or don't have Go- Go. In Bangkok most of those bars were located in Sois off Sukhumvit, Ladpro etc.. There used to be one between Sukhumvit Sois 23 and 25 which was very popular with Thais, the guys working there were mainly Uni Students looking for extra cash. Not sure if any still operate. There will be some, especially in Bangkok as Thai's looking for boys prefer these type of places to the Go Go scene of Silom area.

Impulse
December 23rd, 2010, 07:31
I could be wrong here but i think Rocket is using the term 'host' to refer to the boys who work in the beer bars such as Come-in, Corner, Forest House around sunee and the other gay areas, where there tends to be a combination of freelancers and waiters/greeters who are often quite happy to be taken out to the clubs for a night of dancing, drinking, fun as well as the sex, rather than the quick-to-the-short time business and customer turnover that the agogo boys often prefer
yes,this is what I'm talking about.One guy from Wans place had a worker there who greeted me as I walked past.We ended up spending about four days together.He tried to dump me off with a co-worker of his as he was not attracted to me at all.I should have taken the hint and not wasted so much time with him.I'm not sure why I liked him so much,maybe his honesty.
after the first night I paid him,he gave me some money back.See if a go go guy does that! I doubt it.These guys are not like go go guys,who pretty much have to go with punters upon request.
I went to Reggies bar last year with an american friend.I took away the same guy i was with before,my friend who is overweight and ugly wanted to take out the same guy from the night before,but the boi turned his back and ignored my friend.Ha ha. i think they were Loa mostly in that bar,the one I had was from Chang Mai.
I guess they are just beer bars,not 'host' bars .If it were me in their position and had to work as a prostitute,I certainly would choose the open beer bar as opposed to the go go place.

Beachlover
December 23rd, 2010, 17:33
I always though "host bars" were kind of like gogo bars, except the boys don't stand around in their undies. And perhaps they're freelancers so they don't get a base salary either.

chillnorth
December 23rd, 2010, 18:41
I always though "host bars" were kind of like gogo bars, except the boys don't stand around in their undies. And perhaps they're freelancers so they don't get a base salary either.

The first sentence has been my impression, as well. I don't know about the second.

My own experience is that I've been asked for "taxi money" in countries where openly being a money boy could have more severe legal consequences. And yes, I do know prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

Beachlover
December 23rd, 2010, 18:44
I meant that I THINK they (host bar boys, not gogo boys) don't get a base salary from the bar (in case there's any confusion), but I don't know this for sure. This might be what attracts them to be gogo boys rather than host bar boys. Potential for less time and more money.

chillnorth
December 24th, 2010, 09:43

Quite possibly true, given the qualifiers "under 30, poor, single Thai (man or woman)". It does make for the interesting image of the loins of the impoverished quivering with hope as you process through the byways of Isaan.

I'm white, so I automatically get some special, kinky status. We're prized possessions over here! Especially if you're a white guy in his 20s, decent looking, looks young (most people assume I'm in college when I first meet them), dress nicely, make decent money, etc. Whew, talk about the jackpot for them!.

Jackpot, indeed. If you substitute "Thai" for "white" in your description of yourself, you're looking at at a 300-500 baht maximum outlay, not 1000 baht. That "kinky status" you describe is also known as "farang price". But I trust you've never had to test your theory because you've surely never actually had to pay for sex.

December 29th, 2010, 01:03
They have a degree of integrity and class that says they won't have sex for money. They go with you because they're attracted to you.

This was very well written, BL. I met one of these on my first trip to Bangkok--it was a college educated guy that approached me in Babylon. Little did I know at the time how great of a gem he was.

I'd say that there's one more type of boy, though. It's the older money boy that is playing a longer-term game. They want an overseas boyfriend to help them with rent and to be your regular guy whenever you come to Thailand. They usually juggle as many of these as they can get away with. They tend to do a better job at hiding their desire for money...for a while.

Beachlover
December 29th, 2010, 18:17
Thanks mlonker... Yeah, you must be quite right about the older money boy because I've heard of what sounds like that scenario from some members here too. I guess they might be more appealing because the're more stable and mature.

One interesting thing is lots of farangs come to Thailand because it's easy to find money boys and gogo boys. But for younger guys Thailand's also great because genuine Thai boys like the one you describe are really easy to pick up too... I've been to few countries where the boys are so consistently friendly and open to getting to know you.

ceejay
January 3rd, 2011, 18:30
I meant that I THINK they (host bar boys, not gogo boys) don't get a base salary from the bar (in case there's any confusion), but I don't know this for sure. This might be what attracts them to be gogo boys rather than host bar boys. Potential for less time and more money.
I know that, in at least some host bars, the boys are paid a wage, but it is meagre - around 80 baht a night. They need to make that up with tips, and with the commissions they get when they are bought drinks by customers. Some go-go bars, on the other hand, have some freelancers working in them on a casual basis. They are not paid by the bar - all they make comes from commissions on drinks and off fees, and tips.
The boys who work in the beer bars have to turn up - not only do they not get paid if they do not, buts some bars actually charge them the equivalent of a nights off fee for any day they don't show. They will often only get a day or two a month off, and if they want to be away from the bar for longer - to go to visit family for example - they have to save these days up. Any extra days and the same applies - they have to pay the bar for being away.
On the other hand, the management of beer bars do not usually insist the boy goes with any customer who wants to off him - that choice is left up to the boy, whereas the boys in at least some of the go go bars are (at least in theory) are compelled to go with anyone who wants to off them.
All this based on an unscientific survey of Pattaya and Bangkok bar boys whom I was, at the time, interviewing for a quite different reason.

Beachlover
January 4th, 2011, 17:39
You mention (1) gogo bars, (2) host bars and (3) beer bars. Do you mean the same thing when referring to host bars and beer bars?

All I know about gogo bars is the boys are paid a wage + commission for drinks + sometimes commission for offs but their wages are docked if they're missing or late. Not sure about host bars but it would make sense they don't get any wage, just commission for drinks and no off fee but they don't have an obligation to turn up every night either.

pong
January 4th, 2011, 17:58
sawasdee phimai, esp. for you, khun chawp chai-haat.
But as with about anything in Thai; there are no fixed rules and no 100% clear divisions. Anything may vary, from daytoday, from boytoboy or whatever. if a bar is short on boys-they pay more and pose fewer constraints. or reverse. There is also no 100% clear distinction between gogo/host/karaOK or beer-bars or even massageshops. Boys themselves can also hop easily from 1 to another-and many certainly do. Thus it simply makes no sense to assume that ''this is bar 1-so it must be like this-and there is gogo 2-and this must be different''.

ceejay
January 5th, 2011, 02:58
You mention (1) gogo bars, (2) host bars and (3) beer bars. Do you mean the same thing when referring to host bars and beer bars? In this context, yes. All the host bars I have been in are also beer bars. Not all beer bars are host bars however.

All I know about gogo bars is the boys are paid a wage + commission for drinks + sometimes commission for offs but their wages are docked if they're missing or late. Not sure about host bars but it would make sense they don't get any wage, just commission for drinks and no off fee but they don't have an obligation to turn up every night either.My impression is the opposite of this - that the boys in host bars are usually paid some sort of a salary, some of the boys in gogo bars may not be. As Pong says though, there are no fixed rules.

Beachlover
January 5th, 2011, 20:12
Yeah, I agree there's no absolute rule and whilst there's a general "norm", everything's in a continual state of flux, as Pong says.

Wesley
January 7th, 2011, 18:41
You mention (1) gogo bars, (2) host bars and (3) beer bars. Do you mean the same thing when referring to host bars and beer bars? In this context, yes. All the host bars I have been in are also beer bars. Not all beer bars are host bars however.

All I know about gogo bars is the boys are paid a wage + commission for drinks + sometimes commission for offs but their wages are docked if they're missing or late. Not sure about host bars but it would make sense they don't get any wage, just commission for drinks and no off fee but they don't have an obligation to turn up every night either.My impression is the opposite of this - that the boys in host bars are usually paid some sort of a salary, some of the boys in gogo bars may not be. As Pong says though, there are no fixed rules.

PAY THEM WELL, THEY ARE AFTER ALL DOING IT FOR A FAT OLD MAN, FOR taxi BOYS THAT ARE GENUINELY INTO ME, I GIVE HIM A COUPLE HUNDRED MORE THAN IT ACTUALLY TAKES FOR HIM TO GET HOME

January 8th, 2011, 06:45
PAY THEM WELL, THEY ARE AFTER ALL DOING IT FOR A FAT OLD MAN, FOR taxi BOYS THAT ARE GENUINELY INTO ME, I GIVE HIM A COUPLE HUNDRED MORE THAN IT ACTUALLY TAKES FOR HIM TO GET HOME

A couple of hundred?

Is there no end to your generosity Wesley?

:dontknow: :dontknow: