PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers Trip Report Dec 2010 Part 2

Dodger
December 15th, 2010, 17:05
Hi Again,
IтАЩm in the mood to babble again (Katie bar the doors). Having focused my first Trip Report entirely on the subject of ThepтАЩs incarceration I would like to share the rest of my trip activities, events, calamities, etc., with you.

Due to the fact that my days started at 5:30 AM versus sleeping in until the crack of noon, my evenings ended earlier and the party scene was pretty much off the list this trip. In an effort to turn this into something positive I decided that this would be the best time for me to search out that apartment IтАЩve always wanted.

IтАЩve been procrastinating over this for the past few years, but made a decision some time back that due to the fact that my holidays were going to be transitioning from 2 month stays (4 months per years) to 3 month stays (6 months per year) that entering a lease on a full-time apartment would be significantly more cost effective than staying at the condo. IтАЩve been hanging my hat at Chateau Dale for the past 6 years and love it immensely, but staying in Thailand six months a year isnтАЩt a long holiday any more тАУ itтАЩs living there.

Thep and I agreed years ago that our long term plans would involve having a house in his village where we could hang our hats during family visits and I could embark on my second favorite hobby which is fishing. We would then secure a small place somewhere near the ocean (and civilization) where we could stay during the harvest season(s) when everyone is doing the work we want to avoidтАж555. Having said that, IтАЩm sure weтАЩll be spending more time in the jungle versus the ocean for a while тАУ at least until he gets his legs back under him again.

With 2-1/2 months on my hands and the need to keep myself busy I started my apartment search with very definitive objectives regarding location, size, price, etc. I put the word out to friends that I was looking for a place where I could sign a one year lease тАУ pay in advance тАУ at least 40 m2 тАУ furnishings didnтАЩt matter тАУ for 7,000 bt/month. I knew that asking for 40 m2 for this amount of space would be a challenge, although leveraged the fact that with the current economic conditions places like this that are renting for 10,000 тАУ 12,000 per month are commonly sitting vacant.
I looked at around 10-12 different places during October тАУ saw some possibilities тАУ but not the right one yet тАУ either too small, not enough windows, poor security, crappy location or whatever. Then in early November I found what I was looking for. Being drawn to the Jomtien area I looked at numerous vacant apartments mostly in the Jomtien Plaza and/or complex areas as this is the area IтАЩve stayed for so long and comfortable with. I heard about new owners buying a building which had just been completely renovated. I met with the Thai owners who had just purchased the building four months earlier and found what I was looking for.

After two weeks of negotiating the cost they agreed to a one year lease for 90,000 baht (7,500 bt/month) which was reduced from their original asking price of 10,000/month. I also negotiated a non-escalating clause in the lease contract where the annual fee of 90,000 bt will not be increased for a three year period in the event I extended my lease beyond the first year.

The apartment is in Jomtien Plaza and exactly what I was looking for: 52 m2 with 3 separate rooms тАУlarge living room, large bedroom, working kitchen with brand new floor tiles, paint, lighting and wall fixtures. One whole side of the unit is huge windows measuring a total of 42 feet spanning all 3 rooms, 2 aircons/2 ceiling fans, all windows have steel security guards, solid hardwood front door with newly installed dead bolt lock, an outer steel security door (which I had installed), 16 foot euro style kitchen and a huge (9тАЩ X 12тАЩ) hung nam which used to be a second bedroom which has floor to ceiling ceramic tile and a 4 person Jacuzzi (that would be 1 farang and 3 boys). When I saw the bathroom I knew this place was for meтАж555. I asked the owners to remove all the furniture (which was terrible) as re-furnishing the place would give me something to do in the afternoons and I wanted my own stuff. Other positive factors included: free water, free basic cable service, free WIFI and free motorbike storage in the secured basement during my returns to the U.S.The location is absolutely perfect: laundry on same mezzanine level just a few steps from my door, surrounded by a dozen good restaurants, bars, boys, etc., and a 7 minute stroll to the oceanтАжworks for me.

I spent the next month doing what I usually hate the most тАУ and thatтАЩs shopping, although must admit that being able to purchase things that IтАЩve liked for years that were just too big or heavy to take home with me was fun. After a lot of trips on the motorbike lugging stuff around and having delivery trucks following me around тАУ I was exhausted, but at least can move in next April with all the hard work done. New bed with a good quality American mattress which was not easy to find, clothes closets, living room furniture, tables chairs, artwork, entertainment center with surround-sound already installed, and Wallach!...IтАЩm done.

I showed pictures of the apartment once completed to Thep through the window at the prison and he couldnтАЩt believe the size and quality for the money. After spending 6 ┬╜ years of hearing him tell me that I just paid too much тАУ this was like music to my ears.
By 8:00 PM (20:00) each night I was ready for a drink and the bed. I did visit the watering hole (Corner Bar) several times a week, although just too tired to hang out too long or paint the walls as I have in the past. Michael and Thomas are great hosts and the staff are always a pleasure to hang out with.

Thomas surprised me with a birthday cake (Dec 6) during a closed party at Corner (closed in recognition of the Kings birthday the previous day) which was quite a surprise, although I was three sheets in the wind by the time the cake arrived. My foggy memory of that night recalls; driving around completely smashed on my motorbike with Chris (American Teacher) on the back in search of boys to recruit to our little party, driving directly through MichaelтАЩs bush which is lodged (or was lodged) on the street at the corner of his bar, hearing ChrisтАЩs roar of laughter as he pulled branches from the bush out of his mouth, pulling my pants down at some point on a dare, staring at the bare ass of another friend of mine who was turned around backwards with his ass directly over my bowl of popcorn, and last but not least, being driven home by a cute and very accommodating boy who tucked me in that night.

I enjoyed my breakfast every single day during my holiday at Two Guys Guest House. I not only enjoyed the wonderful breakfast that Aek and Geng serve but the interactions with other farangs and the outgoing personality of John the owner. John was a constant source of advice and information which not only helped me in my apartment search тАУ but also on how to find the right stores to buy the furnishings and other things I needed. I would always show up there late following my visits to Nong Palai тАУ but never missed a day. Two Guys is just a great place to hang out in general.

YouтАЩll have to rely on other peoples perspective on the bar scene as I only visited the gogoтАЩs a few times during the early portion my holiday. Everyone in town, including the soi dogs, know Thep and I and understand the current situation. I felt much more comfortable pulling numbers off my mobile phone when in need of some personal hand-holding than I did offing boys on the scene.

Restaurants: Rich Man-Poor Man on soi 9/Jomtien still my favorite for farang style meals, a newer place calledтАЭ OleтАЭ (not affiliated with the old Ole on soi Yensabai) a big hit with farang and Thai, Two Guys Guest House best western style breakfast in town, Corner Bars chicken fingers are addictive and best Thai food is still at the small stalls.

Boys: Nice Boys, My Mic and Happy Boys in Sunee have the best selection IMO, although the drop dead hotties seem to be few and far between these days (maybe just the eye of this beholder). Many more boys working freelance these days which isnтАЩt a bad thing. The scene at Jomtien Plaza has finally picked up тАУ with the apparent spark being The Venue which has grown in popularity and now has the reputation of the best gay show venue in town. The girl host bars which used to be mixed in with the gay bars have now been replaced by all boy bars. On any given night the main gay soi in the complex is lined with a hundred boys тАУ many of them working at the new Dolce Vita or L&N Bar, both of which are huge open-aire bars staffing 20-30 boys each. Two Faces across the street also has 20 boys. My new apartment overlooks these venues тАУ what a view!

See you in April!

anakot
December 15th, 2010, 17:48
Good report. Thanks. I was around this area a few weeks back staying in my favourite haunt and enjoyed it too. Great to hear you have finally settled on a place. Good luck with it.

Beachlover
December 15th, 2010, 21:57
Nice to hear you had some fun too!

krobbie
December 16th, 2010, 00:11
Dodger, a great way to start my day is a decent read. Thanks for that. Great news that you now have a base and sounds as if it will be very comfortable. I wouldn't give you twopence for a spa bath / jacuzzi. Just not my thing (personal view) but the apartment sounds excellent. Now you just have to wait it out until Thep is back in circulation.

Cheers and choc dee,
krobbie

lexusgs
December 16th, 2010, 01:13
Hi Dodger,

I read Part 1 on another forum and it was quite an emotional read mate. You are truly gifted in being able to lift words from a page.
Good luck for the future, you deserve it.....

Impulse
December 16th, 2010, 04:57
Dodger,
I'm glad you found a nice place,it sounds ideal.
It's always smart to drop in at Two guys,as John is full of helpful advice.
So now it will be half a year in Thailand.Good for you.

American Teacher-old
December 16th, 2010, 08:50
Hey Dodger! That was a quite a night indeed! It was so fun to spend some "quality time" with you and I can't wait to see you again upon your next return. We'll have to ask Thomas to close down the bar for us again.

Happy trails,
American Teacher

Dboy
December 16th, 2010, 09:32
Boys: Nice Boys, My Mic and Happy Boys in Sunee have the best selection IMO

Agree! Based on your picks I suggest you check out Panorama and Oscars in Boyztown as well.

Dboy

bing
December 16th, 2010, 10:22
I am sure you will read Gaybutton as well, but I want you to know I'll be delighted to get the first round at the bar of your choice in Jomtien. I did not like your posting, No, I loved it, You will have to wait till May to collect the drink as I'm stuck in the USA saving up for the next trip in May of 2011.

witchhunt
December 26th, 2010, 13:10
Many more boys working freelance these days which isnтАЩt a bad thing. The scene at Jomtien Plaza has finally picked up тАУ with the apparent spark being The Venue which has grown in popularity and now has the reputation of the best gay show venue in town. The girl host bars which used to be mixed in with the gay bars have now been replaced by all boy bars. On any given night the main gay soi in the complex is lined with a hundred boys тАУ many of them working at the new Dolce Vita or L&N Bar, both of which are huge open-aire bars staffing 20-30 boys each. Two Faces across the street also has 20 boys. My new apartment overlooks these venues тАУ what a view!

!

After reading and rereading this report from dodger, I felt I should break my routine and give jomtien another look. Pleased I made the visit and I have been back 3 times in 10 days. Have not a opinion on the bars yet, still work in progress.
A question about 2 restaurants that have caught my eye. L'arc and Antz. Each time I have eaten at Aquarius and have been very happy but I need to change my routine. I cannot recall any post about either.