PDA

View Full Version : More on The Malaysia Hotel

Surfcrest
April 27th, 2006, 10:26
Back in February or March I told you of some construction happening at The Malaysia Hotel. They were demolishing an old structure behind the pool, between the Hotel and the Chanthip Building.

The demolition is long over now and they have completed much of the foundation and forming for the 1st floor of the new office building. I am told that they will be moving some of the office out of the main hotel and locating it here once the new building is complete. I'm not sure what is planned for the rest of the hotel, but that's the plan so far (according to staff).

There isn't much noise (compared to when the demolition was taking place) any more and there isn't anymore dust and soot coming over the wall on the patrons by the pool.

I am always pleasantly surprised staying at the Malaysia Hotel how friendly all of the staff is. Having come and gone several times this year, it is always so nice at how happy they are to see me back. I also like the fact that there is so little turn-over in the staff from year to year. In the many years I have stayed here, they always remember.

Surfcrest

April 27th, 2006, 13:30
Thanks for the info on the Malaysia hotel. I have been looking at a few places for a few days stay in Bangkok, I last stayed at the BB Inn on Rama 4 road and found it ok, good location, if a little basic. The Malaysia looks a little cheaper ($20 per night) and has more facilites and may be the place for me. But, has anyone stayed at the Mandarin Hotel on Rama 4? I liked the location and look of the place and it still seems reasonably priced (under 1000 baht). Anyone know if it is gay friendly and if they allow for joiners? Thanks.

April 27th, 2006, 14:56
A friend who recently stayed at the Mandarin reported that they charge for "joiners"

April 27th, 2006, 15:02
The Mandarin caters mostly, I understand, to Chinese tour groups. So unless you want to dodge puddles of phlegm and betel nut juice in the hallways, I'd say it's best avoided.

atri1666
April 27th, 2006, 17:15
Never again will stay there because without paying no opportunity to take somebody to room. They have army of security. Next problem is the breakfast--you feel like a cow under 1000 other cows in the big room. When you come to late you must wait long time for refill the buffet. Many ants every day. The room was big and ok. I only could meet with friend in lobby or restaurant. And for my taste to many chinese tour groups.