PDA

View Full Version : Stem cell transplant has cured HIV infection in 'Berlin pati

December 14th, 2010, 20:22
Interesting article about how a Stem Cell transplant has cured HIV infection which adds some hope for a possible cure to HIV infection sometime in the future:

http://www.aidsmap.com/page/1577949/

Beachlover
December 14th, 2010, 20:58
Interesting!.... Thanks for posting this.

I always use condoms with any sort of intercourse so my only fear is transmission through oral sex. I know the risk is low, but even still, I limit the number of partners I do any sort of oral with.

December 15th, 2010, 00:57
"I always use condoms with any sort of intercourse so my only fear is transmission through oral sex. I know the risk is low, but even still, I limit the number of partners I do any sort of oral with."

How is this in any way germane to the topic?

dab69
December 15th, 2010, 01:10
how could he have time for sex
with his constant posting here?

he has to comment on every thread

kittyboy
December 15th, 2010, 13:37
Interesting article about how a Stem Cell transplant has cured HIV infection which adds some hope for a possible cure to HIV infection sometime in the future:

http://www.aidsmap.com/page/1577949/

I remember when the news first came out about this guy. Many people were excited that a potential "cure" for HIV had been found. It turns out that this may be a very unique situation that would be difficult to use for other people and it would be very expensive. If you contract HIV outside the developed world you are fucked unless you have money for HIV drugs which can be expensive.

Hopefully the medical community can use this guys case to get more information about HIV.

I remember 25 years ago, the hope was that in 20 years an HIV vaccine would be found....apparently that is still a long way in the future.

Thanks for the article.

Impulse
December 18th, 2010, 13:22
If you contract HIV outside the developed world you are fucked unless you have money for HIV drugs which can be expensive
Even if you're in the developed world,there is no way the insurance company will pay for this expensive stem cell procedure.It will be considered experimental until there is another cure of hiv found.