View Full Version : Reentry Permits at Suvarnabhumi?

December 12th, 2010, 18:21
The link to this reads "reentry permits at the airport are back". I never remember these being available in the past. they look quite convenient. Do you think this is real?: Would it be dependable? Anyone trying please let us know.

The Re-Entry Application Procedures and Requirements At Suvarnabhumi Airport
Date : 07 - 12 - 10
1. Aliens must submit the applicatoin by themselves.
2. The date of submitting application must be the date of departure.
3. Gather the required documents as below
- Passport or travel document (1 original plus 1 copy)
- One recent photograph (4X6 CM.)
- Fees - Single 1,000 Baht
- Multiple 3,800 Baht
4. Submit the application and required documents at Immigration Departure Division (East Zone), Suvarnabhumi Airport.
5. The service open daily from now on

Smiles
December 13th, 2010, 08:26
Where did you find the link? On the Thai Immigration website (good luck navigating THAT puppy!)? On ThaiVisa? On Stickman? (Please put the link in a post ... not sure how many reliable sources would spell 'application' as 'applicatoin')

December 13th, 2010, 21:04
Where did you find the link? On the Thai Immigration website (good luck navigating THAT puppy!)? On ThaiVisa? On Stickman? (Please put the link in a post ... not sure how many reliable sources would spell 'application' as 'applicatoin')

Ooops. Forgot the link. It was a retweeter with a link direct to page ...
http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/deta ... 120_en.php (http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/detail_news_120_en.php)

It's the top (latest) news item on the front page ...
http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/main_en.php

It LOOKS like an official Suvarabhumi site.

There was also mention of it somewhere in the Nation maybe past two days "Live ...".

Smiles
December 14th, 2010, 09:56
Thanks for the link. It certainly appears to be the official airport site, notwithstanding the spelling mistake.
Now looking for anyone who's actually used this new (or re-newed) service.

billy2bs
December 15th, 2010, 03:03
I am confused on a point, so I am sure someone will be able to unravel this question for me. If I was going to visit Thailand for the short stay time of 30 days, can i take a trip to say Singapore and then return for another 30 days without getting paperwork. If so how many times could i do this?

December 15th, 2010, 04:32
I am confused on a point, so I am sure someone will be able to unravel this question for me. If I was going to visit Thailand for the short stay time of 30 days, can i take a trip to say Singapore and then return for another 30 days without getting paperwork. If so how many times could i do this?

The answer is yes, on entry to Thailand you will automatically get a 30 day visa providing you don't come from one of the country's not eligible for a 30 day visa, and two you are not on a lists of persona non grata.

billy2bs
December 15th, 2010, 07:35
Tank you Combat for your up to daTE INFORMATION

December 15th, 2010, 09:20
The answer is yes, on entry to Thailand you will automatically get a 30 day visa providing you don't come from one of the country's not eligible for a 30 day visa, and two you are not on a lists of persona non grata.

As i understand it, if you arrive by air you are eligible for the 30 day visa exempt stamp, if you arrive by land it is only 15 days.

Hmmm
December 19th, 2010, 15:57
The link to this reads "reentry permits at the airport are back". I never remember these being available in the past. they look quite convenient. Do you think this is real?: Would it be dependable? Anyone trying please let us know.

There used to be a Re-entry permits desk off to the side of the outgoing immigration desks. Then it apparently disappeared with little announcement, at least none likely to reach the people its absence would affect. A friend of mine rocked up to the airport for a short holiday in hongkers earlier this year, expecting to be able to get his permit as in the past. He then had to travel miles to the new office, missed his flight, had to re-book, had to pay for a hotel in BKK, still had to pay the first night's hotel in HK, and lost a day of his holiday.

Lesson ... in Thailand, assume nothing.

pong
December 19th, 2010, 17:16
what above writes has been abundantly clearly published and more as once on the well-kown forum for these matters; Thaivisa.com.
I would also advice OP to turn to there-they will have all these essential items on their site within a few hours.
And it keeps an amazing how bad people can read: there is a distinct difference between visa-on-arrival and visa-exempt. In fact your nationality determines which one you will get-asking about it without quoting yours is also like answering it without stating that again-you may be in for big surprises.

Smiles
December 20th, 2010, 10:12
" ... what above writes has been abundantly clearly published and more as once on the well-kown forum for these matters; Thaivisa.com. ... "
Perhaps Pong, continually stating the obvious has become a forte. Maybe you could change your handle to that (leaving out the spaces: it flows well and is marginally poetic ... 'Statingtheobvious').

Yes yes ... but you may ~ or perhaps not ~ of noted that Sawatdee is actually a separate message board, and perhaps the info added here might be of use to others (here) beside myself, that is to say, those who would rather not be bothered with the bells, whistles, flashing adds, and tight-assed moderation found on ThaiVisa.
Frankly, I'd prefer to have eyes plucked out than climb labouriously through and over the extraneous at That Place.

cdnmatt
December 20th, 2010, 11:17
Yes yes ... but you may ~ or perhaps not ~ of noted that Sawatdee is actually a separate message board, and perhaps the info added here might be of use to others (here) beside myself, that is to say, those who would rather not be bothered with the bells, whistles, flashing adds, and tight-assed moderation found on ThaiVisa.
Frankly, I'd prefer to have eyes plucked out than climb labouriously through and over the extraneous at That Place.

Sorry Smiles. From now on, we'll do our absolute utmost to put all information you desire directly in front of your eyes, so you don't have to go through the pesky burden of searching for it yourself.

Beachlover
December 20th, 2010, 20:38
Perhaps Pong, continually stating the obvious has become a forte. Maybe you could change your handle to that (leaving out the spaces: it flows well and is marginally poetic ... 'Statingtheobvious').
Being an arsehole again, Smiles?

Maybe you could leave Pong alone and change your handle to "BeingAnArsehole".

December 21st, 2010, 08:57
I received an email from a person that was at the Airport last Saturday evening. He said he asked an Immigration Officer about the availability of getting a Re-Entry Permit at the airport and the Immigration officer pointed out a sign to him that said:

Re-Entry Permit Office Suvarnabhumi Airport closed from January 15, 2009 onwards. Please contact Bangkok Immigration Division, Soi Suanplu before your departure.

The Airport's website news item shows it was posted on December 7 - so either it is not available and the posting is wrong or Immigration hasn't told their own officers about it or removed the sign. If it were me, I think I would get one at an Immigration Office before going to the airport to be on the safe side.

May 7th, 2011, 03:17
I departed the airport about 8 weeks at about 8:00 pm (not needing a reentry permit then) and asked at the immigration booth about reentry permits. I was pointed to the area behind the immigration counters, asked, and was pointed to a woman in a cubicle who said, yes, I can give you a multiple/single reentry permit, they are available. Unfortunately for me, when I asked "for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?", she said opening at 8:00 am every day of the week. The flight I would need to get a reentry permit would be at 6:30 am and she confirmed the service would be unavailable early enough to me. I did not get the time the reentry service and Suvarnabhumi immigration closed at night.

I went to immigration this week to get a multiple reentry permit. This would be my third-time reentry permit on a 'O' 1-year visa.

As I look back on my records I recall:

1st time: the reentry permit allowed reentering from the time from the expiration of my O visa "enter before" date for 1 year, effectively giving me 2 years,
2nd time: covered period from the date that I applied for the reentry permit plus one year, effectively less total than the two years,
3rd (this time): the reentry expires 1 year from my last entry date that was 6 weeks ago >> less time than ever this time.

Am I crazy or does this keep changing?

Certainly if I knew this I would take a short trip to Vientienne or somewhere next weekend, get the reentry for as year from a day early next week before leaving near the end of next week. Now the long range plan is messed up.

The one-year driver's license is expired. Needing a "certificate of residency" for a 5 year I first stomped out of the US Embassy when they told me it would be highway robbery ($50 for any affadavit now). Then on advice of some in these forums that 1) the local police will do it for 200 baht, 2) driver's license bureau will accept supporting materials like lease, title, bills, etc, I tried both, and, well, 1) not an option at my local police office (they were so friendly) they suggested I could claim it lost and it would be easier)or 2) not possible to get a one year or at the driver's bureau without the "certificate" re. the guy who issue the license. Both said "only immigration can give you a certificate of residence". At the information booth in immigration I got my reentry permit application and a blank stare asking for a "certificate of residency" appl. On insisting, I was told go to block J. After going through the queue line for a reentry permit queue number I went to block J, was told to go through the queue line again, asked there, and was told that it is impossible to get a certificate of residence unless you have recently reported over 90 days, which I haven't, and it would be impossible to make any such report just to get the certificate. So I conclude the "certificate of residency" in ALL OF THOSE "get a Thai DL "guides is fiction. I don't think I need a Thai DL enough to spend the $50.00 on the US gov't so !!!

Who do you call? Did anyone notice the immigration website is dated 2004 and still lists Suan Phlu?

May 7th, 2011, 17:56
First, there is a difference between a "visa" and "permission to stay stamp." The visa allows you to enter Thailand - the permission to stay stamp says how long you are permitted to stay. They are linked in that the time you are allowed to stay is based on the type of visa you have - 60 days for tourist and 90 days for non-immigrant unless it is a non-immigrant "O-A," often called a retirement visa obtained in your home country, which will get you 365 days on arrival. Unless the visa is multiple entry, it will be stamped "used" when you enter Thailand.

If you have a multiple entry non-immigrant visa (O, B, Ed, etc.), you get 90 days and the visa is still "good." You must leave on or before the 90 days are up; but when you re-enter Thailand, you will get another 90 day permitted to stay even if you enter just before the multiple entry visa expires. With a multiple entry non-immigrant visa that is still valid, you do not need a re-entry permit.

If like many of us on the so-called "retirement visa" (actually an extension of stay based on retirement in the Kingdom), you have applied for an extension of your permission to stay - this can be either 365 days from your last entry or 365 days added to the initial 90 days.

The expiration of either a single or multiple reentry stamp should be the same date as shown on your last extension of stay - for example if you extended your stay and the extension's permitted to stay date is 12 August 2011 - any reentry stamp will have 12 august 2011 as the expiration date. If you renew your extension on say 12 July 2011 your permission to stay will be 12 August 2012 - one year from the date of your last permission to stay. If you get a reentry permit after the renewal, it will expire on 12 August 2012.

Important as I know someone who recently obtained a reentry stamp before they renewed their extension of stay. They then renewed their extension of stay just before they left Thailand as their permission to stay stamp would expire while they were out of Thailand. When they returned, they got a 30 day visa exempt stamp because their reentry permit had expired. If they had obtained the re-entry permit after they renewed their extension, then the re-entry stamp would have had an expiration date based on their renewed permission to stay date - then when they reentered, the new permission to stay stamp at the airport (or land border if that is the case) would show their latest permission to stay date.

The residency certificate for a driver license is obtained from Immigration (not police or Embassy). It normally has nothing to do with your address reporting date if you are here on an extended stay - I know you can't get one with the visa exempt (30 day) or tourist visa (60 day) - not sure about if only on a 90 day stay with a non-immigrant visa. Unless they have a requirement that you be in Thailand at least 90 days from last entry (when an address report is required), I can't think of any other reason for bringing up a 90 day address report was needed - if that was the case, you could apply again for the residency letter after you have done a 90 day address report -- of course if you keep leaving Thailand and don't stay a full 90 days each time, I can see that might be one of those Catch 22 problems if in fact that is the reason they wouldn't give you the residency certificate.

May 9th, 2011, 07:35
Well, presumably a form they attach to your passport (TM-8???) that they take from you when leaving the country at immigration showing that you have recently provided a 90 day report is sufficient as a "certificate" for a driver's license, so it bewilders me to understand why they would think that someone that needs a "certificate" should wait for the 90 day stay that may never occur. A "certificate of residence" is something that must have been standard before, without a 90-day report, yet after risking my life on the highways and getting stuck in miserable traffic and risking loss of important documents carried then to get a runaround, with no recourse to have made efficient plans using properly documented procedures on a website (that is 8 years unrevised), is pretty aggravating. The information I 'needed' was not given at the first contact (the information booth). The third person I was passed off to explained it: it is because the 90-day report is the only way of reporting to us your address. Hmmm, What about the address I've been reporting on my entry forms and forms like the reentry permit I've been submitting for over 10 years??? There was something about the 90-day procedure that was 'different', she explained. Anyway, it was interesting that her English was so good that we could have that conversation.

Anyway, I've got a whole year from my 1-year driver's license expiration to get a five year renewal. Why I even care to get it escapes me. One time when I was surprised that to make a cash deposit into a travel agents bank account my passport was requested, my Thai driver's license was not accepted. I can drive anywhere on my US state license still. If I don't have a international or an expired regional at the time, what's a few dollars? The Thai license doesn't even have my addess on it. What's the point? The only situation I've been in all year to get a discount on park entry fees it was already covered, anyway.

Yes, the reentry lady, too, was good at explaining to me exactly what you said, above, of allowing reentry for my current visa. All should take note (that's what we're here for, THX). I guess in the past immigration was being NICE to me in inconsistently giving me more time.