PDA

View Full Version : Emirates gets better

jinks
December 4th, 2010, 18:14
My home town airport now has a independent business lounge provided by Emirates.
It is a clone of every other lounge around the world.
In the past we had to share facilities with other airling passengers.

On my way....... 29 hours and counting..........

Here to Dubai, suffer a 9 hour transfer gap in bed in the terminal hotel :)

Dubai to BKK and then on to HKT.

Paradise will be waiting as I arrive at 01:00 !

Beachlover
December 5th, 2010, 17:08
London to BKK is only about 12 hours right? I wonder why you would break up the journey with a stop over and double the time spent on the road. I would just do an overnighter. 12 hours means you get a nice long 8-9 hr sleep on the plane with a couple of hours spare to read or do other stuff.

December 6th, 2010, 06:55
London to BKK is only about 12 hours right? I wonder why you would break up the journey with a stop over and double the time spent on the road. I would just do an overnighter. 12 hours means you get a nice long 8-9 hr sleep on the plane with a couple of hours spare to read or do other stuff.

Well Beachy it doesn't take much figuring out : Jinks is not in London, he is in Birmingham.

His choice therefore is to travel to London by train to get a non-stop flight - or to fly with Emirates from his home airport BHX-DXB-BKK.

I have exactly the same choice when flying from Glasgow. I have gone non-stop from London in the past but when you factor in the time spent getting to London it is far more convenient to catch the two shorter Emirates flights.

It's unfortunate that Emirates have adjusted their schedules and pricing over the past year or so which is now causing the 7 or 8hr transfer in DXB - no matter where in the UK you fly from. It didn't used to be that and in most cases you can still get the original, shorter transfer of 3 hours - but at the cost of an approximate 50% fare increase.

:bee:

jinks
December 6th, 2010, 09:26
I enjoy the hangover in BXB, I book the Terminal hotel short time and get 5 hours sleep with a shower between flights.

My December trip is always one month so the day and a bit to get here is a lovely way to travel slowley.

Currenty in Phuket, phone number below if anyone wants to call.

Beachlover
December 6th, 2010, 18:45
Oh, that makes more sense then. It would be fine if the Dubai stoppover is only 2-3 hrs but 8-9 hrs is a lot. I suppose the other option might be to do short hop flight to London then get on the non-stop BKK flight from there. That could make for a shorter stopover...

Emirates have done a smart thing this way...

December 7th, 2010, 02:46
Oh, that makes more sense then. It would be fine if the Dubai stoppover is only 2-3 hrs but 8-9 hrs is a lot. I suppose the other option might be to do short hop flight to London then get on the non-stop BKK flight from there. That could make for a shorter stopover...

Emirates have done a smart thing this way...

You can't fly from Birmingham to London - it's a train job (or drive)

My "short hop" flight to london would involve minimum 3 hours (including flight time) + whatever the connection time was to the non-stop BKK (minimum 4hrs and probably more like 6 or 8hrs if they won't check your luggage through to BKK).

So you see how the Emirates flight is attractive for ppl flying from provinicial airports in the UK - provided you can get that 3hr transfer.

Worst I ever did was Austrian Airways from London.

Glasgow - London - Vienna - Bkk. Was bad enough going but you can imagine what it felt like on the way back. Nightmare.

:nud:

Beachlover
December 7th, 2010, 13:32
My "short hop" flight to london would involve minimum 3 hours (including flight time) + whatever the connection time was to the non-stop BKK (minimum 4hrs and probably more like 6 or 8hrs if they won't check your luggage through to BKK).
Man, am I glad Bangkok's just a 9-hr flight for me!

So you see how the Emirates flight is attractive for ppl flying from provinicial airports in the UK - provided you can get that 3hr transfer.
Yeah, it all makes sense now. They've got to be taking a lot of market share from BA.

Worst I ever did was Austrian Airways from London. Glasgow - London - Vienna - Bkk. Was bad enough going but you can imagine what it felt like on the way back. Nightmare.
Shit, that would've sucked... flying back to such a cold place too.

Whenever I fly back from Asia I do an overnight flight, depart around 6-8pm, arrive Sydney 6-7am, drop by the gym, then in the office all fresh and ready by 8-9am so I don't lose any time... fantastic.

December 8th, 2010, 16:37
...Whenever I fly back from Asia I do an overnight flight, depart around 6-8pm, arrive Sydney 6-7am, drop by the gym, then in the office all fresh and ready by 8-9am so I don't lose any time... fantastic.

I do an early moring flight - say 2am - after a good final night session on the town - and I get home around 1pm the same day (time zone differences) which I always plan to be a Sunday so I have the rest of the day to unwind.

As for the Gym - for me that would as likely as Dracula dropping by the Blood Donation Centre.

:rolling:

Beachlover
December 8th, 2010, 17:06
That final night would need to finish early then, at like midnight (if in Bangkok) or earlier if flying from Pattaya. I don't really consider it a night if I manage to chat a boy up but can't invite him back to my room to spend the night. Clubs/discos don't really get going until midnight anyway.

I used to have a day or half a day's break on returning but figured I'd rather spend an extra day in Thailand than get a day of rest here!

Last trip, my overnight flight got in before 6am, went to the gym (to exercise, but also to get a shower), started work around 8am... finished up early at 4pm, met up with friends for dinner and drinks and didn't even see home until midnight, about 18 hours after I landed! :hello1:

Dracula would drop by the blood donation centre... but not to make a donation!

lexusgs
December 9th, 2010, 13:40
Jinks,

You should lengthen your SO in Dubai. There's a lot of hot distraction mate. Check out Gayromeo+Manjam listings

lexusgs
December 9th, 2010, 13:44
That final night would need to finish early then, at like midnight (if in Bangkok) or earlier if flying from Pattaya. I don't really consider it a night if I manage to chat a boy up but can't invite him back to my room to spend the night. Clubs/discos don't really get going until midnight anyway.

I used to have a day or half a day's break on returning but figured I'd rather spend an extra day in Thailand than get a day of rest here!

Last trip, my overnight flight got in before 6am, went to the gym (to exercise, but also to get a shower), started work around 8am... finished up early at 4pm, met up with friends for dinner and drinks and didn't even see home until midnight, about 18 hours after I landed!

December 10th, 2010, 07:01
I didn't realise it was a competition, it's beginning to get a bit "Monty Python".....

Right, I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would murder us in cold blood every night, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

:occasion9:

Beachlover
December 10th, 2010, 13:07
Oh, I think the Canadians win that competition... I used to think Sydney was miles away from anywhere until I heard how long it took for Canadians to fly to Asia. :crybaby: