View Full Version : Mexico from LAX . which cities and the best flights

lonelywombat
December 4th, 2010, 10:46
We are talking of flying to Mexico from Australia a 14 hour non stop flight,perhaps stopping at Palm Springs on the way home.

The software I am using has connecting flights for Qantas via Dallas. This makes a long long trip. I found American Airlines had several early flights that are not in the Qantas search facility.

I am looking for suggestions as to which city in Mexico and where is the best gay life and any suggestions about flights.

People have said it is gay everywhere but they say that about Thailand as well

maxdamron
December 4th, 2010, 20:34
Mexico? Are you kidding me?? Could you possibly choose a more dangerous country to visit? It makes no difference where you go there, the drug cartels rule. Please, choose another country for your own safety.

bjbjboy
December 5th, 2010, 04:22
Sorry to disagree, but honestly--how many millions of tourists go to Mexico per year, and how many are involved in any of the violence? I don't pretend that it's completely safe, but I must say in my many visits there, the main issues you might deal with as a tourist are exactly the same as when you go to ANY developing country: poverty, petty theft, etc.
Are there examples of tourists being targeted? Yes. But as a percentage, you'd have a better chance of being mugged in Sydney or Melbourne than being killed in Mexico as a tourist.
Nearly all of the violence has been between drug cartels, or between drug cartels and the police. Unless you are one of those groups, it's still pretty safe.
That said, I really like Mexico City in terms of architecture, public transit, and things to do--museums, archaeological sites, etc.
Acapulco is kind of interesting because it's mostly Mexican and Latin American tourists--very few US Or European ones. So I prefer it.
Puerto Vallarta is probably the most popular gay destination.
Cancun is horrific--unless you like Kuta's population of Aussies; it's the same demographic in Cancun, but instead of Aussies you have Americans. Outside of Cancun is supposed to be nice, too.
Qantas doesn't fly to Dallas so it sounds like you'll be on AA codeshares.

lonelywombat
December 5th, 2010, 05:15
That said, I really like Mexico City in terms of architecture, public transit, and things to do--museums, archaeological sites, etc.
Acapulco is kind of interesting because it's mostly Mexican and Latin American tourists--very few US Or European ones. So I prefer it.
Puerto Vallarta is probably the most popular gay destination.
Cancun is horrific--unless you like Kuta's population of Aussies; it's the same demographic in Cancun, but instead of Aussies you have Americans. Outside of Cancun is supposed to be nice, too.
Qantas doesn't fly to Dallas so it sounds like you'll be on AA codeshares.

Thanks for the response and let me deal with Qantas flights first, as alternate flights might place a different city into the picture.

Qantas is coming up with
QF93 to LAX arr 0725
QF3109 to Dallas [code share with AA] 1010 arr 1510
AA1401 to Guadalajara 1630
AA1211 to Cancun 1630
there is a direct flight LAX Mexico City or another via Dallas
we have found a convenient flight Alaska LAX Puerto Vallarta 1135

Our choices seem to be 1 Guadalajara,2 Puerto Vallarta , 3 Can Cun

We would like to improve our flights to Guadalajara, but with Xmas do not seem to be able to get everyone together.

Your ideas would be appreciated.

asdsrfr-old
January 3rd, 2011, 10:59
Not sure if you have taken your trip yet or not. I would recommend Mexico city. It has a fantastic gay area--most busy Thursday--Sunday. Stay at the NH Hotel Mexico City(not the one in the historic district). From there you will be a few blocks from all of the bars and close to the subway so you can explore the rest of Mexico City. The gay area is very safe with a major police station nearby. Actually I've been to Mexico City many times and never had a hint of a problem. The people are very friendly and it is a word class city!

Puerto Vallarta is also nice, but stay in the gay area. The high rise straight area is not so charming as the rest of town.

ftj_taw
January 3rd, 2011, 17:45
Puerto Vallarta is also nice, but stay in the gay area. The high rise straight area is not so charming as the rest of town.

Puerto Vallarta is not cheap anymore, but it is filled with good looking men/boys. Guadalajara is near-by and has a major university, and many of the boys spend their nights in Puerto Vallarta. Do not go to any of the border cities as they are dangerous. I have friends in El Paso and no-one crosses over the border to Juarez anymore.
Mexico city is the most gayest of all of Mexico, but I have read reports that even average tourist are now subject to kidnapping and ransom.

http://www.solutionsabroad.com/en/secur ... exico.html (http://www.solutionsabroad.com/en/security/security-category/kidnapping-in-mexico.html)

Here is what our state departments says about Mexico, including a warning on kidnapping.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _4755.html (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html)

January 22nd, 2011, 02:13
Mexico? Are you kidding me?? Could you possibly choose a more dangerous country to visit? It makes no difference where you go there, the drug cartels rule. Please, choose another country for your own safety.

Hi,

I disagree after the video I have just seen,worth the risk! HA!