PDA

View Full Version : Thailand JAn 2011 What not to miss

December 3rd, 2010, 01:04
Hi i Will be in thailand for a month with my partner.. We have never been here before and want to know what are the must do thing while there. Any info would be great thanks. P.S its his 30th while there any ideas on what to do for it :alc: :happy7:

December 3rd, 2010, 05:00
1. Visit the Grand Palace
2. Ride an Elephant
3. Have sex with a Thai rent boy (your partner can do the same)
4. er ....

Diec
December 3rd, 2010, 08:18
Why on earth would you go to a place for a month that you have never been to before and not have any idea as to why you are going and what to see? Staying a month and you don't know what you want to do? Sounds like a bullshit post to me.

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2010, 08:33
Why on earth would you go to a place for a month that you have never been to before and not have any idea as to why you are going and what to see? Staying a month and you don't know what you want to do? Sounds like a bullshit post to me.

Sounds like an adventure to me.

You've never done anything like that? Really? What a sheltered life you must have led.

Patexpat
December 3rd, 2010, 09:10
I disagree Matt. Part of the fun of any holiday is in the planning and anticipation thereof ... so not having a clue seems very strange to me too. Asking for ideas is something else tho.

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2010, 09:51
I disagree Matt. Part of the fun of any holiday is in the planning and anticipation thereof

To each their own. Some of the best experiences in my life were when I just hopped onto a plane, without even knowing where I was sleeping that night. Wouldn't do that anymore because I'm too old now at 29, but was great when I did it.

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2010, 19:47
There's a recently compiled list of things to do in Bangkok here: gay-thailand-f9/trip-ideas-for-things-bkk-t20256.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/trip-ideas-for-things-bkk-t20256.html)

I disagree Matt. Part of the fun of any holiday is in the planning and anticipation thereof ...
True... I enjoy planning my trips. But spontaneity and uncertainty is also exciting. Both have their merits.

netrix
December 4th, 2010, 11:34
i'm famous for last minute "planning." spontaneity all the way.
my first trip to SE Asia was 6 weeks in 6 countries and had
never been to any of them.

netrix
December 4th, 2010, 11:37
anyway, a month is long enough to do more than bkk and pattaya gay night life.
you could take a week and go to phuket or north to chaing mai, etc.

krobbie
December 4th, 2010, 17:57
Jamesd,
My first trip to Bangkok was a few years ago and it was three weeks. I had looked on the internet but made no plans at all other than my hotel in Phuket. I was traveling alone. I was a little scared (shitless actually).

I arrived in BKK in the early evening and was petrified to stay in such a large city, coming as I do from the less forbidding city Auckland, New Zealand.

I stayed at hotel on Rama 9 (Radisson) and left for Phuket first thing in the morning. The thought of coming into Bangkok proper was not even on the cards. I have never regretted the decision as it serves no purpose. I have now seen the error of my ways and spend 2/3 of any trip in BKK.

I would say that some people are more prepared to be spontaneous by nature than others.

It is several years later and after the Emerald Buddha, The Grand Palace & Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn), Wat Pho and China Town have been visited and a trip on the muddy waters of the Chao Phraya taken, what is left to do? My friends, you will have only scratched the surface. There are myriad things to do, some cultural and some just plain touristy but fun never the less.

Look up these things on the internet:

Jim Thompsn's House
Vimanmek Mansion
Siam Niramit
Chatuchak Weekend Market
The Bangkok Art and Culture Centre (modern art museum)
Dusit Palace
Samphran Elephant Ground
Ancient City in Samut Prakan
Royal Bangkok Sport Club (R.B.S.C.) & Royal Turf Club (Horse Racing)
Ayutthaya (ancient capital) Temples and River Cruise from Bangkok

Here also is a little pocket bible I discovered a few years ago. It has day trips in, around and beyond Bangkok and I am working my through it.
www.bangkok-daytrips.com/ (http://www.bangkok-daytrips.com/)

Okay, you get my drift. There is a ton of stuff to do not forgetting the gay nightlife and other such experiences (fuck shows notwithstanding). In short, the whole place is just an incredible experience that with a month to do as you wish, is a perfect amount of time to let Thailand get under your skin as it has with many here on SGT.

I would have to say that Bangkok is one of the safest big cities I have been in. Use your common sense and don't fall for the myriad scams you may read of on the internet and you will have something to remember for the rest of your life. Fantastic. You may even see yourselves returning again and again. No, not for the sex, as you are partnered but just for the shear unique aspect of the place, the "Thainess" if you will.

Cheers and have a ball.

jinks
December 4th, 2010, 18:20
Jim Thompsn's House
Vimanmek Mansion
Siam Niramit
Chatuchak Weekend Market
The Bangkok Art and Culture Centre (modern art museum)
Dusit Palace
Samphran Elephant Ground
Ancient City in Samut Prakan
Royal Bangkok Sport Club (R.B.S.C.) & Royal Turf Club (Horse Racing)
Ayutthaya (ancient capital) Temples and River Cruise from Bangkok

Been there, done that, got all the T shirts over 20 years visiting LOS.... I give Bangkok a miss every trip now if possible.

fedssocr
December 5th, 2010, 11:01
A month is a nice amount of time. You can go north and south and still have plenty of time to enjoy the Big Mango. And get your appetite whetted for the next trip.

I only spent about 3 days in Bangkok on my last trip. Not enough for me. I missed it before I even got to the airport to come home.

What to do depends on what you enjoy.

I finally went to a Thai boxing card at Lumpini stadium on my last trip and really enjoyed that.

Lots of great shopping.

Make sure you get at least one massage.

I would say spending at least 5 or 6 days in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area is worth doing.

I hated Pattaya on my first visit. Now I can take it in small doses.

Beachlover
December 5th, 2010, 16:39
Consider doing a multi-day trek to visit and live with the hill tribes North West of Chiang Mai. You walk from village to village and sleep in the villagers' homes. Some are more basic than others... one of the most relaxing and content weeks I've ever spent.