PDA

View Full Version : Alternative area to Boyztown,Sunee and Jomtien Complex

lonelywombat
November 27th, 2010, 05:16
For the second time in less than 3 months, I have been asked to recommend a new area to create a new gay bar. Both enquirers were concerned about the Arab influence in the area surrounding Sunee, the increasing sleaziness of Pattayaland 1 and 2 and their doubt that the Jomtien Complex would suit their plans.

The first person to contact me was prompted by the advice being given to Monty and the posts by gertrude unmasked as Billyboy. My contact was looking for a new B&B /guesthouse but no off boys, he asked me for an opinion.

In another thread I mentioned my friend who has worked in hotel groups in Australia for many years, who has been checking out bars in Pattaya. Recently he emailed me to get my nominations of the best managed bars in Pattaya and a possible new area. Within the guidleines he gave I nominated La Cage and Bondi, neither of which they had seen as he said " they were outside the ghetto areas" . He agreed with both my choices.

The area I recommended in both cases, as my choice of the best place to look to buy or lease a full building was

1 the soi than runs between Soi daynight 1 through to Soi daynight 3 from Office boy through past Chez Vickie, Salt and Pepper and Bordeaux

2 soi daynight 2 either side but suggested he look at the former building occupied by Blue House.

I made some suggestions re Cats Place and Office boy that he noted . He was not impressed with soi daynight 3.

As he wants to buy a 4 story building gut the top 2 floors for his own living area, I think this is attractive,

The area to those who have not been there has 7 restaurants including Ole that is not on gayaffairspattaya.com map. It is close to Tukcom, where there are 3 coffee shops plus numerous cafes, close to Mosaik and its 50 condos and others in soi daynight 3.

The restaurants are well patronized by straight as well as gay expats, does not have the sleazy mix of Sunee and Pattayland 1 & 2 and you can park.

As they do not plan to buy for another year or so, maybe it was time wasted.
Time will tell.

cdnmatt
November 27th, 2010, 05:38
For me, would depend on the reason you're starting the bar. To make a profit, or to have a comfortable place done in your style, where you can oogle boys with your farang friends? If it's for a profit, I would recommend just beside the Khon Kaen university. There's not a single gay bar here, and there's about 40,000 students at that university.

Marsilius
November 27th, 2010, 14:00
...As he wants to buy a 4 story building gut the top 2 floors for his own living area, I think this is attractive...

Especially handy given the apparent and well documented propensity for ageing farangs to throw themselves, with no obvious motives, to their deaths from high buildings (though, weirdly enough, when their apartments are subsequently searched many of its valuables appear to have gone missing at the same time).

I'd stick to the ground floor!

bucknaway
November 27th, 2010, 19:07
What is the problem with the "Arabs"? When I was in Sunee for a few weeks I did notice the increased presence of those one would suspect as being Arab if only because I read so many posts on the board about their growing numbers.

Are the "Arabs" doing something that is harming the gay community in Sunee?

I have seen a few Arabic guys with gogo boys so they all are not straight I guess.

One night I went to an Iranian restaurant with a guy that was so truly flaming. The staff in the restaurant was very accommodating and seem more concerned about the sale than the sexuality of their customers. They made us feel welcome and continued to greet us every night as we walked past their establishment.

Are people concerned because they fear the unknown or is something more going on that we don't know about?

November 27th, 2010, 20:38
What is the problem with the "Arabs"? ....Are people concerned because they fear the unknown or is something more going on that we don't know about?

Quite simple - it's just blind prejudice.

People tend to get more conservative as they get older - this explains why many SGT members are, politically, somewhere to the right of Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

PS: I have seen transvestite Arabs walking about Sunee. The moustache and beard looks a bit ridiculous mind you - but each to their own i I say

:occasion9: :occasion9:

Beachlover
November 27th, 2010, 20:54
If it's for a profit, I would recommend just beside the Khon Kaen university. There's not a single gay bar here, and there's about 40,000 students at that university.
Yes, but I guess next to Khon Kaen University you would be looking to attract the young gays and students. This is fantastic (maybe something something you and Kim can consider when you have some disposable capital you can risk). Except I think Lonely is talking more about the kind of gay joint where the target audience is farangs and, rather than attracting an appealing crowd, the offering is based around gogo boys and prostitutes.

Especially handy given the apparent and well documented propensity for ageing farangs to throw themselves, with no obvious motives, to their deaths from high buildings (though, weirdly enough, when their apartments are subsequently searched many of its valuables appear to have gone missing at the same time).
Good thinking! Though, being on the third/fourth floor would mean they just end up with broken bones and perhaps a paraplegic or quadriplegic rather than dead. I think they're less of a burden on society dead.

Are people concerned because they fear the unknown....
I think this is exactly the case...

Quite simple - it's just blind prejudice. People tend to get more conservative as they get older - this explains why many SGT members are, politically, somewhere to the right of Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco.
LOL... such high esteem you hold them in, Scottish.

cdnmatt
November 27th, 2010, 21:16
Yes, but I guess next to Khon Kaen University you would be looking to attract the young gays and students.

Exactly! Young, energetic, horny students who are finally living away from their parents eyes, and after a few drinks seemingly forget they're on a budget. Perfect!

This is fantastic (maybe something something you and Kim can consider

Kim being the boss of the only gay bar in KK, which is frequented by cute uni students? Ummm... nooooooooooo. :-) lol

Are people concerned because they fear the unknown....

Nah, it's because they're all secretly plotting to take over the world, and will soon begin suicide bombing missions in the go-go bars! You're right though, I think it's just fear of the unknown. You have to remember, most people on this board are older, already set in their ways, so anything foreign to them is "not good" (unless it's a cute Thai guy in white briefs, dancing on stage -- they'll bend cultural values for that).

Beachlover
November 27th, 2010, 21:43
Exactly! Young, energetic, horny students who are finally living away from their parents eyes, and after a few drinks seemingly forget they're on a budget. Perfect!
Yeah! Let me know if such a bar ever opens. I'll pay a visit, for sure.

Kim being the boss of the only gay bar in KK, which is frequented by cute uni students? Ummm... nooooooooooo. :-) lol
Control freak LOL :occasion9:

November 28th, 2010, 20:09
There is no reason to find and alternative area in Pattaya. Jometien Complex has been in total disarray for many years, Sunnee has for the most part cleaned up its act, boystown remains looking for an identity. There is no one here under 50.......and there never has been, so your base fades away and they have less dispossable income.
There is no doubt that the Arabs are around the outskirts of Sunnee and are increasing in numbers but they have no interaction whatsoever with gays...good....bad....or indifferent!

lonelywombat
December 1st, 2010, 16:22
Thanks to those who PM'd me agreeing with me as to the area. My friend sent a glowing report on his visit to La Cage and Bondi. He classes them both the type of operation he would like to emulate.

He added there was a new B&B in the soi opposite Cats Place and also the new restaurant downstairs, He called it El Dorado . I thought it was called Ole. I am probably wrong as usual.

He also spoke warmly about the [Swiss?] owned coffee shop on the corner. I have been there often , it is a bakery and i love the fresh bread. He did not mention the name and I have never known it.

He thought Office Boy had potential if it was not so dark. He could not understand managements thinking as it has better potential if lighting was improved.

December 1st, 2010, 19:17
He added there was a new B&B in the soi opposite Cats Place and also the new restaurant downstairs, He called it El Dorado . I thought it was called Ole. I am probably wrong as usual.

He thought Office Boy had potential if it was not so dark. He could not understand managements thinking as it has better potential if lighting was improved.

I hope your "friend" is receiving accurate information! The B&B has been in operation 4 years it's name is The Dolphin Guesthouse the restaurant is now run by the former Mgr. of Ole and his wife is the cook. 20/63 Soi Day-Nite 038-724-188

Cats is currently out of business and 2 other bars have gone out of business in the same spot. Across from Office boy is Kevins failed last try Birdcage....Formally Leks also defuncted, as well as every other Gay establishment ever there! At the moment the entire street in front of Office Boy is laden with concrete barricades! Office Boys is also on it's third name with as many owners.

Maybe he shouldn't count on others to do the surveying and see for himself!

Daniel-old
December 1st, 2010, 19:29
I thought the B&B was called TB Mansion and the restaurant Dolphin Restaurant. The coffee shop is called Grottino Bakery.

December 1st, 2010, 22:43
I thought the B&B was called TB Mansion and the restaurant Dolphin Restaurant. The coffee shop is called Grottino Bakery.

You are 100% correct :hello1:

witchhunt
December 6th, 2010, 05:42
Met a couple of friends at Grottino for coffee as a change to Tukcom every day. We decided to have a look at the soi suggested that runs from OfficeBoy through to what is probably soi 3. It was the first time I had been in soi 3 and was surprised to find Baan Dok Mai {gay} guesthouse where a friend stays twice a year. I had been some time ago to Gossip and forgotten it existed. Also forgotten was Royal House massage still there and some nice boys already there earlier than I expected.
Dont know anything about JJ's pub and karoake, it used to get pushed here now and again a few years back. I dont think it was ever gay and not sure if it open.
I explored further towards Third road and surprised at the new condos that have or are being built. It started to rain so made a note to myself to return and see if there are any bargain condos for investment.

ceejay
December 6th, 2010, 12:52
JJ's Karaoke is still open - or at least it was in August

lonelywombat
December 7th, 2010, 07:19
Email this morning from my friend, his trip started at Bondi just before sunset and he loved the ambience giving the place a big tick.They moved to La Cage to meet some friends and loved that.

Prior to dining they looked and 5 bars in Sunee. The only one to impress them was Yaya, he felt the Corner Bar had potential but not his cup of tea.

They had dinner at Bordeaux which they were very impressed with, walked the soi at night and came back for breakfast next morning at Grottinos and felt strongly that they would be more comfortable in this location that Sunee or Jomtien. The choice of restaurants amazing.

The purpose of the email however was that both had gone back to have a fresh look at the go go bars I had recommended. He also wanted to check out the eastern soi of Sunee where the cafes are. Ruled that out very quickly.

He added the management style of Funny Boys to La Cage and Bondi as places he could learn from. Both were impressed with aspects of Nice boys, very friendly with the some boys dancing in jeans and shirts alongside the boys in undies. Same boys on rotation but gives the impressions of two groups. He thought the 50/50 would work well for Copa and WWB and agrees with my suggestion that half price off after 11 is better than 100% of nothing, for both of those venues.

He compared the happy hour prices [6-9] at La Cage and the reduced prices all night at Happyplace and feels the latter was not a sustainable idea.The happy hour prices before the show at The Venue [>9.30] killing any enthusiasm for competing there.

The only other places that received a thumbs up were the Ladyboys place Famous Bar, the Poolbar and Happyboys. None of them of interest though.

A caustic PS was reserved for the traffic in both soi 1 and 2 Pattayaland and the parking of motorbikes in Sunee.

December 7th, 2010, 22:48
is it possible to find a gay bar in Bangkok without these damn lazy money boys..everytime I go into a bar the first
thing I encounter is a money boy wanting drinks and sex..a good old fashioned bar..I am from the San Francisco
area and we do not have them in the bars that oftin...they get kicked out or go to jail..

Bars, go to Silom Soi 4 there you will find Balcony. Sphinx, and Telephone plus a few more. Money boys are obviously about but not so many. You can also go to a disco DJ Station which is in Silom Soi 2, this gets packed out on certain nights with lots of guys about who are not all money...

Alaan
December 7th, 2010, 23:53
is it possible to find a gay bar in Bangkok without these damn lazy money boys..everytime I go into a bar the first
thing I encounter is a money boy wanting drinks and sex..
Of course it is possible to find a gay bar in Bkk without money boys, the farang orientated money boy bar areas in Silom/Suriwong are but a drop in the Bkk gay ocean.

Rachada soi 8 area as well as loads of discos, clubs, bars in two or three other main gay areas are full of gay boys who wouldn't be seen dead in the suriwong/silom area, but they are virtually all Thai for Thai or at least Thai for sticky/asian or younger farang gays. If you are reasonably young or look young and in good shape you are in with a chance, if you are an older out of shape foreigner, thats what silom/suriwong is for! .....and you'll have to pay one way or another, why would attractive, slim young Thais want to hook up with foreigners if not for money or to find a bf/soulmate/love 'with prospects'.

Thailand is not the same as farangland......sex, bfs, attraction are linked as much to 'prospects' as love and attraction alone, in all areas of Thai life and society.

I dont know how old you are or what you look like, and i'm not being facetious, but why do you expect non-moneyboy or non-prospect seeking Thais to be interested in you?

Bars, go to Silom Soi 4 there you will find Balcony. Sphinx, and Telephone plus a few more. Money boys are obviously about but not so many. You can also go to a disco DJ Station which is in Silom Soi 2, this gets packed out on certain nights with lots of guys about who are not all money...

Sorry combat, i could be wrong about this...but i would expect all the boys who go to the above venues/areas will be looking for westerners. Westerners who will be expected to 'come up with the cash' one way (cash for sex) or another (senior partner and therefore funder/main financial contributer to the relationship with a Thai).

I realise most of the above are generalisations and there are exceptions to the rule, but these are my opinions based on my Bkk experiences to date.

December 8th, 2010, 00:06
Sorry combat, i could be wrong about this...but i would expect all the boys who go to the above venues/areas will be looking for westerners. Westerners who will be expected to 'come up with the cash' one way (cash for sex) or another (senior partner and therefore funder/main financial contributer to the relationship with a Thai).
I realise most of the above are generalisations and there are exceptions to the rule, but these are my opinions based on my Bkk experiences to date.

Depends, obviously Thais looking for Westerners will go where Westerners hang out. Not all Thai's hanging around Silom soi's 4 and 2 are money boys. Also it's unlikely that a tourist is going to go off the beaten track unless he has someone to show him around. If you are the right age and look reasonable then even in Thai for Thai places you might well meet Thais who will be interested in you for who and what you are rather than for what's in your wallet.

BTW I'm thinking that the OP isn't quite what he's making out to be as he has started another post asking "how much"!!!!!!

Beachlover
December 8th, 2010, 16:49

Depends, obviously Thais looking for Westerners will go where Westerners hang out. Not all Thai's hanging around Silom soi's 4 and 2 are money boys. Also it's unlikely that a tourist is going to go off the beaten track unless he has someone to show him around. If you are the right age and look reasonable then even in Thai for Thai places you might well meet Thais who will be interested in you for who and what you are rather than for what's in your wallet.

BTW I'm thinking that the OP isn't quite what he's making out to be as he has started another post asking "how much"!!!!!!
I know for a fact plenty of Thais go to DJ Station just to have fun with their friends and aren't expecting to hook up with a Caucasian or Foreigner at all. But if you're good looking and catch their eye they're often pretty friendly, especially when they see you're alone.

There are plenty of non money boys there.

Alaan
December 8th, 2010, 18:04
know for a fact plenty of Thais go to DJ Station just to have fun with their friends and aren't expecting to hook up with a Caucasian or Foreigner at all. But if you're good looking and catch their eye they're often pretty friendly, especially when they see you're alone.

There are plenty of non money boys there.

Yes, i also know boys who go there with their friends, but i took them out of the equation simply because the boys i know are with their group and not interested in farang hook-ups. They go there for a change of scene from Rachada etc... But i still believe boys who do go there for farang hook ups, are either straight forward money boys looking for short time/one night paid stands or those who claim not to be money boys but are looking for a farang bf and in the end will be the benefactor of such a relationship. There isn't really a good reason for any Bkk based gay boy to head to silom/suriwong if not for contact with foreigners (presumebly with money or 'prospects').

I feel your "plenty of non-money boys" who dont fall into the above catagories would in fact be VERY few and far between. Apart from a very few boys i know who are not into the money scene would go to DJ or GOD, all the rest would never in a million years venture to the silom/suriwong area. And as i already said those who do are a drop in the gay ocean of bkk gay boys.

One of my former lovers and now close friend has never been on the money scene, is from a fairly middle class background, father policeman, mother teaching would NEVER come to see me in silom/suriwong, none of his many University friends would ever dream of going there and all have harsh comments for those who do..sluts and prostitutes no less, and i think you'll find that is a faily common attitude amongst non-commercial gay boys in Bkk.

Thats my 11 years experiences with boys from money boy areas and non money boys. However maybe some expats with more knowledge and experience of living in Bkk can offer an alternative view.

Beachlover
December 9th, 2010, 19:53
Yes, i also know boys who go there with their friends, but i took them out of the equation simply because the boys i know are with their group and not interested in farang hook-ups. They go there for a change of scene from Rachada etc... But i still believe boys who do go there for farang hook ups, are either straight forward money boys looking for short time/one night paid stands or those who claim not to be money boys but are looking for a farang bf and in the end will be the benefactor of such a relationship.
Yeah, you are right. The boys I meet tend to not be the kind who would talk to a white foreigner (farang). In fact, last trip, almost all the boys I met assumed I was Thai and blurted out their first few words to me in Thai when we first started to speak.

So I guess meeting these boys is not an issue if you are Asian (and I think there are a couple of Asians posting on or reading these boards).

The other thing is a boy doesn't need to have gone there "looking for a hook up" for you to chat him up. But you're right, the ones who go there to hook up with a farang are probably almost all money boys.

Interesting (but not surprising) to hear the Silom has such a reputation amongst gay boys in Bangkok. I usually ask most of the boys I meet at DJ Station how often they go there. They usually say once or twice a year or every few months. One boy last trip told me it was only his second time there and "this is the first time I walking outside with a foreigner".

lonelywombat
December 11th, 2010, 05:34
Had several Pm's asking why I responded to bad boy billy on GB and not here. As Billy is no longer able to post on GB board , here is what I replied.

Personally,i would like to start buying up bars in the Sunee Plaza area with a consortium of investors.

But unfortanetely the buildings are not available freehold as of yet.
eventually when the time is right i will start calling out for shareholders.

But we have to start moving with the times,changing the area from small bars to bigger beer barns, we need to make one part of the area sleazy and the other part more cosmopolitan.

The post by Billy came several days after I opened the thread Alternative areas to Boyztown Sunee and Jomtien Complex.
gay-thailand-f9/alternative-area-boyztown-sunee-and-jomtien-complex-t20410.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/alternative-area-boyztown-sunee-and-jomtien-complex-t20410.html)

As I understand Mrs Sunee owns all or most of Sunee Plaza and I cannot imagine it coming onto the market in small parcels. But I believe the value of the land for condos or hotels is skyrocketing all around the Soi VC, soi 17 and Soi Yensabai and long term leases or even renewals on bars in Sunee , could be difficult to obtain.

The concept of looking for freehold if you can afford it makes a lot of sense. My friend from BKK is meeting with a prospective partner who is flying in this weekend, with just that in mind. They are using the term strategic.

There were a number of replies that mocked the area recommended which is close to all the restaurants in soi daynight 2 and the soi than runs across them. They can only see the area as it is ATM rather than its potential.

The word cosmopolitan was not one my friends have used, but up market to Sunee is their aim.

Beachlover
December 11th, 2010, 10:58
You do realise BadBoyBilly is taking the piss don't you, Lonely? He's been having the time of his life over on GayButtonThai talking about his wonderful business plans to open grand bars, start a HIV registration service, bare backing, how to train yourself not to gag when giving blowjobs and more... it's hilarious.

Take a look at this one...

Oh don't get me started on aromatic burners.
I have just spent a good part of this Sunday morning in the cleaning aisle of the supermarket looking at the vast amount of products,and one could spend the entire Sunday in that aisle.
I have gone thru the entire aisle like a kid in a candy store smelling the vast amount of scents available.
Despite all this,I only found one product that i bought,manufactred by the "Glade" group with the newly sold product fragrance of "Oriental Garden" and I couldnt wait to get home to try it out in the bathroom.
Was this really you Unkiebuckie? Did you really sit down with this lardy lunatic? LOL

I have had several long discussions with bar and cafe owners about their bathrooms.
Some are interested ,some are not,the most interested was the owner of Happy Place bar in Pattayaland who made the effort to sit down with me,must been a good 30 minutes or so,to discuss various frangrances he could use in his bathroom.
What's even funnier is GayButton's entirely serious replies to his piss take...

I'm interested, but not to the extent that you are. If I use a bathroom at a bar, I don't need it to be a showplace. All I ask is for it to be clean, stocked with the proper necessities, and kept sanitary.

lonelywombat
December 12th, 2010, 09:59
You do realise BadBoyBilly is taking the piss don't you, Lonely? He's been having the time of his life over on GayButtonThai talking about his wonderful business plans to open grand bars, start a HIV registration service, bare backing, how to train yourself not to gag when giving blowjobs and more... it's hilarious.

Of course I realised that but a couple of points he made were in need of comment. Some were from replies to posts and PM's to gertrude another of his names.I was not aware then that Billy would not be replying as GB deleted him again midday monday. I think he is back and posting in his usual starting manner.

I thought the unkiebucks reference should be let go, but it would be hard to get many more people into that bar with the girth of those two.

As for those threads I would close them all and get a breath of fresh air into the forum.

chillnorth
December 12th, 2010, 10:23
Apart from a very few boys i know who are not into the money scene would go to DJ or GOD, all the rest would never in a million years venture to the silom/suriwong area. And as i already said those who do are a drop in the gay ocean of bkk gay boys.

I'm not a patron of either DJ or GOD myself but have heard the same attitude towards Silom/Suriwong expressed many times by gay Thai friends in BKK. These are educated people who fuck around ceaselessly, it would seem, in Thai4Thai areas. Not one will set foot in Pattaya.