PDA

View Full Version : Kuala Lumpur still a good gay destination ?

brlumpet-old
November 26th, 2010, 03:37
Hi,

I was hesitating to go to Kuala Lumpur.

I read this news :

http://malaysian-scandals.blogspot.com/ ... an-in.html (http://malaysian-scandals.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-gays-in-kuala-lumpur-than-in.html)

I quote hereunder the text of this news.

Does someone know how is the situation now. The picture of "masseur" found following the link of the site Utopia is very attractive, but do we risk a "police raid" ?

Beside is it possible to invite a boy in hotel room ?

best regards to all

------------------------------------------------------------

The men arrested at gay massage parlours and sauna being led to the George Town police headquarters in Patani Road in Penang.

The men arrested at gay massage parlours and sauna being led to the George Town police headquarters in Patani Road in Penang.

Kuala Lumpur is 'gayer' than Penang, according to those in the know.

They said there are more gay joints in KL and gay services could be easily sought in spas that specifically cater to male clientele.

"Some outlets even have daring themes such as 'underwear night' and 'nude night'," said one source who wanted to be known just as "gay boy".

He said a visit to these places could be interesting, adding that one of the outlets was even operated by a blind man.

Another individual, who confessed to being involved in an "alternative lifestyle", however, said not all gays visit such centres.

He said he was aware of a good number of outlets that cater to gay clients but said he was not so desperate.

A reader, Ng Shu Tsung, said society had misunderstood issues relating to gay activities.

"Lesbians, bisexuals, gays and transvestites are often targets of prejudice and ridicule. Any kind of growing conservatism will make this minority group more scared and remain largely underground," he said, adding it was high time issues relating to homosexuality, transsexuality, bisexuality and HIV-AIDS were openly discussed and debated.

It was reported recently that commercial gay sex activities in health clubs in Penang were rampant, with police swooping in on such clubs.

In Penang, community service officer for HIV-AIDS and marginalised groups Yap Peng Huat said health clubs and massage parlours offering male masseurs should not be perceived in a bad light.

"It is an injustice to both operators and patrons of such outlets. Some people prefer male masseurs because they feel comfortable with the masseurs.

"This minority group of people need a place to call their own, and such outlets are suitable for them," Yap said when contacted on Monday.

He was commenting on the recent police crackdown on gay sex activities at health clubs in the island.

It was earlier reported that Penang police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Wira Ayub Yaakob had called on the local authorities not to renew the licences of health and fitness outlets used for illicit activities.

The Penang Municipal Council recently stated that it would either cancel or not renew licences of such establishments if police reports were lodged against them.

Last year police in Penang nabbed 47 suspected gay workers, including Malaysians and foreigners from Myanmar, Thailand and Indonesia.

Within the first two months of the year, 26 gay sex workers were also nabbed.

Beachlover
November 26th, 2010, 12:42
Just saw that article. That is horrible being raided and marched off to the police station and photographed in shame like that. The authorities responsible are arseholes.

I would go ahead and visit KL if I were you. It's a beautiful city and quiet enjoyable to visit for food, shopping, nightlife, a massage and some sightseeing. I could stare at the Petronas Twin Towers all day... visually stunning.

In terms of the risk, I have heard about a number of raids and they seem to be fairly frequent now, but mainly OUTSIDE of KL...

1. There have been multiple raids on gay saunas/massage in Penang, a state far up North from KL.

2. There was a raid on a sauna in Malacca, a city South of KL.

3. I've only heard of one recent raid of a massage parlour in KL itself, but I recall the focus seemed to be on illegal immigrant workers. Don't think the gay aspect was and issue.

4. I think a couple of years ago there was a raid in KL on some big gay orgy. But this was something someone had organised privately in his home and it probably wasn't done with much tact or sensitivity towards Malaysia's still sexually conservative straight society.

That's about all I've heard. This is just from memory so if someone knows better, feel free to add or correct.

For KL overall, I would say gay saunas and massage are ok so far. Gay clubs/discos are of course, no problem.

I don't think you'll have issues bringing back guests to most hotels. I've never had a problem inviting a boy to my room in KL.

I had a massage at this place when I was there - http://www.senjakala.com/ - It was awesome.

pong
November 30th, 2010, 08:10
as always-what is ''good'' is too personal to say yes or no.
There is just 1 (widely known) gay sauna in KUL. No condoms etc (as in those massage places)-as this might mean to polisi there might be sek.
For HTLs-just like anywhere in this world (certainly you will have travelled?) some have no probs, some small, and some have no-enter rules.
For a good overview of massage-places offering more; the shamelessmack blogspot.
GR is said to be very good for hooking up with Malay guys. I suspect most you find on them will be Chinese-but has anyone any info/experience on that?

Beachlover
November 30th, 2010, 14:42
What does HTL stand for?

fedssocr
December 8th, 2010, 10:00
HTL = hotel

atri1666
December 14th, 2010, 23:13
For me >> Yes

June 17th, 2011, 22:44
Can anyone add any sort of recent update to the whole "is KL still a good destination" question I wonder ? I'm strongly debating ( and procrasinating with myself about nipping over to KL for 4 or 5 days perhaps whilst on a trip to TL as I've never been there before, but everything I've read is either quite old info, or talks about raids happening, or bars closing more than opening, or very little bars/action generally and or the risk of being robbed ( which I'm "assuming" is no different to anywhere else in Asia per se ? So, am I correct and it is worth bothering to go there or should I give it a miss totally as I wouldn't be missing anything special and head on to the Phillippines instead just perhaps ( I'm also going to Bali later in the month) as its not worth the bother/time - any replies would be most appreciated. Thanks.

June 18th, 2011, 01:41
Can anyone add any sort of recent update to the whole "is KL still a good destination" question I wonder ? I'm strongly debating ( and procrasinating with myself about nipping over to KL for 4 or 5 days perhaps whilst on a trip to TL as I've never been there before, but everything I've read is either quite old info, or talks about raids happening, or bars closing more than opening, or very little bars/action generally and or the risk of being robbed ( which I'm "assuming" is no different to anywhere else in Asia per se ? So, am I correct and it is worth bothering to go there or should I give it a miss totally as I wouldn't be missing anything special and head on to the Phillippines instead just perhaps ( I'm also going to Bali later in the month) as its not worth the bother/time - any replies would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Nirish,

GO TO BALI AND HAVE A GOOD TIME. WHY RISK YOUR HOLIDAY LEISURE TIME ON POSSIBLE HASSLE AND DISAPPOINTMENT??...........................A BIRD IN THE HAND...........

June 18th, 2011, 02:40
ha ha oh don't worry I most definetly am - Bali's a given as I'm really looking forward to it actually, but they I guess the explorer in me always wants to see / risk somewhere new ( well to me anyway) :-)

June 18th, 2011, 02:45
OK then,

How about exploring Cancun in Mexico or Nepal??.................These guy openly advertise themselves to me and others!

Brisboy82
June 18th, 2011, 11:30
I had a great gay time in KL but then I was only there for a night and just went to Blue Boy. Very nice bar and very friendly.

Beachlover
June 18th, 2011, 12:42
NIrish Guy... it really depends on what you're after in KL.

1. Commercial sex in bars: You won't get sex served on a platter in a bar there as Thailand offers. There are no gogo bars or host bars that I know of in KL. In fact, I don't know any gay bars in KL. I only know of gay disco/nightclubs (someone correct me if I'm out of date).

2. Gay discos/nightclubs: There's plenty in KL but you need to find out which ones are busy on which nights. From memory, Thu/Fri/Sat nights are the main clubbing nights. There's MarketPlace (Sat night is gay night and it gets packed), Oblique, La Queen and Blue Boy. I've heard Blue Boy is where you can find moneyboys. I was able to pick up a the other nightclubs, but I did find Malaysian boys aren't quite as friendly and welcoming to strangers as Thai boys are, so might be harder to pick up in KL if you find Bangkok a breeze.

3. Gay massage: There's lots of great professional mens spas in KL and lots of sex-oriented ones too. There's been reports of the odd raid (fairly rare) on the sex oriented ones but I suspect the primary focus is on catching foreign massage boys working illegally there. There's lots of massage boys from Thailand, Indonesia and China etc. working in KL. I haven't heard of any foreigners having issues. All up, I wouldn't worry about raids, personally. They get sensationalised by the gay crowd but I think you're more likely to be caught in a bar raid in Thailand.

4. Saunas: Haven't spent much time in saunas there myself but others say this is one of the best places to find hook ups.

5. Out and about... KL's meant to be a fairly cruisy place but my gaydar is hopeless and I'm never there for more than a few nights so haven't done much on that front.

KL is a fairly safe city. You're no more likely to be robbed in KL than you are in Bangkok... Just take normal sensible precautions.

If you're happy with the mix above, go check it out... it's a nice, buzzing city.

June 22nd, 2011, 01:52
Thanks for the info Beechlover, I'm going to go for four nights over a weekend to have a look :-)

OH and if anyone is thinking of going to KL and looking up low cost accomodation and checks stick rice etc it recommends the "Eight Hotel" as a great low cost, gay hotel option etc and on that simple basis I booked it - and THEN read the reviews and immediately cancelled it again, simply put dont even CONSIDER it, the reviews are some of the worse and most numerous by a large number of people I think I have ever read for any hotel ! Everything from bed bugs to rats, bare electricial wires to no water, plaster falling off walls to no locks on doors - you name it it was all there and then some. Apparently it "used" to be good when first opened and has simply been allowed to go to the dogs ( who wouldn't even eat there now it seems ! :-) - anyway, hope this helps someone else not waste time even debating / researching it, there's plently of other resonable options in KL it seems ( oh and I ended up booking Hotel Capitol in the end in case it helps anyone else in their search.

atri1666
June 22nd, 2011, 08:57
I stayed in KL in Westin and Grand Millenium and i would stay there again. No problems with visitors but you must pick up them in the lobby because you need keycard for elevator.

July 9th, 2011, 11:35
I'm currently in KL just now and can confirm that the Capitol hotel is just about perfect for location
Right In the centre of bukit bintang ( the gay / nightlife area). Have to admit when I first arrived late at night and went a walk I wasn't impressed at all by KL ( to the point of being ready to fly out again the next day) but after spending several days here now I've actually warmed to the place, there are lots of good bars ranging from
Not very good to full international standards and whilst the gay scene as some others have already mentioned
Is not a patch on bkk etc it is here and not to put too fine a point on it I
Haven't been alone since my arrival with as much company ( and perhaps different company:-) each night / day - and all free and just happy to be with you ( and trust minim
No oil painting ! Lol, actually I had to switch my phone off as I was getting that many messages on grindr and gay Romeo from guys wanting to meet up ! So, would I rush back - maybe not, but it's not the worst place in the world either an I'm
Glad i made the effort to come and find out for myself and make some nice new Malay and Chinese 'friends' :-)

Beachlover
July 9th, 2011, 16:23
Cool! Nice report. Glad you're enjoying KL, Nirish.

Could you please describe which good bars you're referring to?

GWMinUS
July 10th, 2011, 06:28
Nilrish, glad you have enjoyed your visit to KL.
It is a sunning City and many interesting places to visit; besides the Discos...
Of course it is better to have a local to be your guide!!!

You said you stayed at the Capital Hotel. HUM, I know the Federal...
Would that be it??

This is after the fact, but if you are an "older" Dad type...
(I am sure this does not include our Beachy)
You can meet many younger men on http://www.silverdaddies.com.
Go to the chat room and keep trying until you get in!!!
You will be able to meet up with Malay, Chinese and even Indian guys living in Malaysia.
If they are not in KL, they will be happy to come there to meet a foreigner.

CHEERS,
A 70 yo DAD!!!

Beachlover
July 10th, 2011, 13:37
the professionals tend to congregate in private parties or marketplace (saturdays!).
Hey Wazuma... Yeah, MarketPlace turns into a gay nightclub on Saturday nights. Interesting crowd. Absolutely jam packed dance floor. I picked up a really handsome guy there but aside from that I would say it's not the easiest or friendliest place to chat up guys if you're alone. More of a suave place to go with a group of friends.

August 8th, 2011, 03:40
Sorry I meant to post a wee update before this of my trip to KL - so yeah and just to back up exactly what beachlover had said there - marketplace was great, wall to wall guys and SO busy, hardly room to move in places actually ( which gave great excuses for lots of squeezing together he he) - and I was told that night was actually a quiet night due to some demonstrations that had been taking place earlier in the day there, but yeah LOTS of great guys all out for a good night out and lots dancing shirtless on the stage so not hard to strike up conversations around the place (but again as BL described there were lots of local friends all just out on their own private nights out too there) BUT as always in Asia sometimes just a quick nod and a smile were enough to start some nice chats :-) - Also from memory on a Friday night Frangipanis is "the" gay happening place - and I would have said the same about friends all being out together in there etc but (scarily) I got a message on my phone on the MONDAY following my Friday night visit from a guy asking was it me he'd seen there and show me knew me proceeded to tell me EXACTLY what I'd been drinking all night (and several different drinks too that I'd had) plus crazy details such as exactly what I was wearing right down to what colour my eyes were ! and several other creepy stalkerish details ha ha - who then wanted to know would I like to meet him at his place .....ha ha needless to say I passed on that one :-)

I went to Thermos Day spa and had a great massage there ( no happy ending and apparently the massage guys are all str8 and really don't appreciate being asked ) however I'd been told of this important piece of information whilst in the dark room before I went in for my massage ( I got lost on the way to the massage room honest he he :-) and thankfully that very friendly guy decided me save me the bother of needing a happy ending later during the massage and took care of that for me and then so all ended well ha ha :-)

I went to Blue Boy which seems to be the only advertised "gay bar" and found it fairly terrible, it was dirty - both the bar and the toilets( and trust me I'm not the fussy type) and the customers on the night(s) I visited were well just "odd" ( its the first gay bar I've EVER been to where loud music was playing and NO ONE was dancing - or even hardly moving and most not even drinking ! - all very weird - although I was told that as that was a "competition night" and not a "social night" that was why......but even so ....you know when you go in somewhere you just get a "vibe" and the vibe there was just odd (IMHO) - mind you on that very same night a lovely cute, polite (money) boy introduced himself to me and we ended up having had lots of fun together later on - so I guess every cloud has a silver lining and all that :-)

The one thing I would say if you are going there is if you can bring your phone/ipad/laptop or whatever you use to connect to the net as ( and I think I said this before here ) my phone i.e Grindr, gayromeo etc NEVER stopped and one could have stayed in your hotel room shagging 24/7 if that's what you wanted to do - and with a new guy every hour on the hour - really and I'm not exaggerating re that - I should point out ( just for the record) that that's not (exactly) what I spent my time doing whilst there - well ok it is but hey I was on Holiday !! ha ha ( joking )

Hope this helps someone.

lexusgs
August 8th, 2011, 15:38
Hi NIrish guy,

Nice update. I just got back from KL last night. I had to do a quick visa trip so only spent 2 days there Fri/Sat.
I completely agree on the internet comments. Easy hook ups if that's what you want.

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton hotel at Starhill Gallery. Great deal for 2 nights at about 80 pounds per night inc breakfast.
Grindr helped in finding a couple of hot guys from Singapore staying in the same hotel. You are also correct in mentioning Frangipanis is the place to be on Fridays. Top class club and lots and lots of hot guys. I also checked put Thermos. There was quite a mix of Asian and GWM on Saturday. Clean place but, I found the place a little small, no jacuzzi etc. GR was just a crazy experience.

As you said, you could have had a new guy every 30 mins waiting at the door if thats what you want!

I would recommend KL without hesitation for a quick getaway!

August 9th, 2011, 00:18
"you could have had a new guy every 30 mins waiting at the door if thats what you want"!

he he what do you mean "COULD have had" he he ;-))) ha ha, less said about that the better I guess just in case any of them are on here he he :-)

Beachlover
August 31st, 2011, 22:00
Great report, NIrish Guy. Thanks.

Yeah, Blue Boy is filthy and a bit strange. I don't know what the place is trying to be LOL.

I missed out on checking out Frangipani last time I was in KL. Thanks for the tip.

I noticed online/phone and sauna hook ups are more popular in KL and Singapore where more gays are discreet for social reasons.