PDA

View Full Version : Phuket december 2nd

November 24th, 2010, 21:06
Hi everybody,

i am italian and new here but it's a long time that i read this forum. I would need some advice from you.

I will be in Phuket from december 2nd till the 5th 2010 with my bf. ( we got married :)) )
We don't plan on going to paradise complex every night, so if you had just 1 night what would you do ?

Also i see on weather reposrts that they announce tunder storms; do you think it will rain all day ?? If someone is in phuket now
what do you think ?

Thankx alot and can't wait to fly to thailand next monday :hello2:

jinks
November 24th, 2010, 23:32
I wiil arrive on the 5th late in the evening, therefore cannot help you.

Paradise is a set of road and walk ways in a W shape.
Walk around and then cut through the middle.

Most of the main big bars are of the "traffic" roadways, take care.
The inner walkways have smaller more personal bars, take care to watch for motor cycles they go everywhere.

Don't worry about rain, unlike european rain it is walm, short showers or cloud bursts and soon finishes. Duck into a bar or shop until it passes. If you are worried most hotels in the area provide unbrellas FOC for guests take one with you.

krobbie
November 25th, 2010, 02:20
Vivendi32,
Is the 32 part of your handle your age? Here is a suggested itinerary for that one day.

If so and I only had one day in Phuket, it would start early. Start with a good fresh fruit breakfast. Eat a goodly amount to give you the strength you need for the day. Most hotels have the breakfast included in the price but there are breakfast palces along R U Thit Road also.

Pack a towel in your backpack and wear your bathing suit under your shorts. Pack a large bottle of water in your pack also some snacks if you want.

I would hire a motorcycle (they are small 150cc things and in Thailand called motocy) and head out of town toward Karon Beach. These motorcy are available for between 250 baht and 350 baht a day. Insist on a good helmet also. DO NOT be tempted to forgo the helmet.

Taking this coast road to Karon Beach, then Kata Beach will give you a chance to see the island a bit. There is a beautiful little beach you can go down to afterward called Nai Ham Beach. Take a swim there and relax for a bit.

There are wonderful views on the way and you will see a fantastic viewing place that is quite obvious as most everybody stops there, then carry on to Rawai Beach. There are a lot of colourful long-tail boats and modern motor launches tied up here and is perfect for some photography. There are also some places to get some lunch or wait until you get to the next place called Chalong Bay.

There is a beautiful temple at Chalong aptly named Chalong Temple (duh!) or Wat Chalong. Spend a little time here as it is wonderful.

After you have had your fill of culture carry on to Phuket Town. Don't be tempted to go to Phuket Zoo when you see the signs. It is like zoos used to be about 20 years ago. Animals expected to do tricks etc. Hideous.

You can browse around Phuket Town and have a look at some of the old buildings. When you leave here follow the signs that take you over the hill to Kathu. There is a monument to Rama V (King number 5) here with great views. There isn't much else to see but a whole heap of tourist stalls along the road. You then head out of "town" toward Patong again. It is not a flat road as Kathu is nearly the highest point in Phuket so take it easy on the way back down to Patong. There are some crazy farang everwhere also riding motocy. Be "ongarde".

Take another swim and a rest. If you have taken off around nine it may only be around 3.30pm at this point depending on how long you stay at each place.

Early evening, about 5pm is cocktail time (naturally) so head to the Paradise Complex. Although you have stated you don't want to go there , for gay men there his is THE place to go. It is quite vast as Jinks has described. Choose a beer bar that looks to your taste (there are many so wonder around a bit first). These beer bars or bar beers as they a locally known are open air arrangements that have seating. You will know by the hoots and hollering from the gay boys who work there. Anyway don't be put off by this, it is all in good fun.

After a few cocktails either go home for a kip or and a shower and get ready for the evening.

Get some food at the myriad of restaurants on Beach Road or R U Thit road that will have miraculously appeared. There is a area on R U THit road that is about 6 restaurants altogether in an open-air arrangement. Here is to be found some wonderful Thai food.

Then head back to the complex for more frivolity. Perhaps take in a show or of go to a disco. Just ask about there are a couple around and about. Try and avoid MY WAY as the owner gets pissed and talks incessantly on the microphone but if you can out up with it they have quite a good drag show.

If you feel like dancing take a taxi motorcycle each (the riders where blue or green coloured jackets with a number on them) and ask to be taken to Galaxy in Soi Sunset. This is a club where you dance at your table. It is very Thai style but the atmosphere is vibrant, modern and it has pretty good live acts/bands playing. It closes at 6am.

That is my idea of a good day in Phuket, but up to you.

Cheers
Krobbie

jinks
November 25th, 2010, 02:55
either go home for a kip or and a shower

Translation kip = sleep or siesta :)

The other advise is good, get 2 motor bikes, don't try it together unless you ride a bike at home.
And remember at home you drive on the right side of the road,

The Thais - The English - New Zealanders, most Australians too, drive on the CORRECT side of the road. :hello1:

November 25th, 2010, 04:08
either go home for a kip or and a shower

Translation kip = sleep or siesta :)

The other advise is good, get 2 motor bikes, don't try it together unless you ride a bike at home.
And remember at home you drive on the right side of the road,

The Thais - The English - New Zealanders, most Australians too, drive on the CORRECT side of the road. :hello1:

Well Thailand is of course an autonomous sovereign nation as is New Zealand and Australia - and as such they are perfectly entitled to make rules to drive on whichever side of the road they choose

But, I really don't see why the English who are not an autonomous sovereign nation - but merely a part of the UK - are included in the comparison.

Unless, as I suspect, the English think they ARE the UK.

Such arrogance - no wonder they are despised the world over.

:sharm: :sharm: :sharm: :sharm: :sharm: :sharm:

krobbie
November 25th, 2010, 05:38
Oh dear ... who's having a bad day then? :blackeye:

November 25th, 2010, 06:35
Jinks wrote :

drive on the CORRECT side of the road

But at night WALK, " Links+Rechts der Autobahn " ! :alc:

I be there at the gayparade in Feb. ! :hello1:

November 25th, 2010, 15:26

Au contraire Krobbie - it was a great day!

However, even when it IS a bad day, annoying the English makes it a whole lot brighter!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Patexpat
November 25th, 2010, 15:59
For me, I usually like to spend an evening at Phuket Fantasea .. have seen the show many times but am delighted with it every time. Not cheap, but well worth it! Give it a try!

http://www.phuket-fantasea.com/index2.php

Beachlover
November 25th, 2010, 17:55
If you decide to do one of the Kayaking/Canoeing trips to see the "sea caves" or Hongs, make sure you take the "self paddle" trip with a company called the "Original Sea Canoe Co" (I think that's what it's called).

Don't take any of the other ones. All you do is sit back and someone else paddles you around in this crappy inflatable kayak. You spend most of your time on the "big boat" waiting in line to launch and then extract the kayaks.

With the "self paddle" trip you get a proper rigid kayak and you get to paddle your self through the stunning waters from one island to the next... much better.

Beachlover
November 26th, 2010, 12:58

Au contraire Krobbie - it was a great day!

However, even when it IS a bad day, annoying the English makes it a whole lot brighter!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

You played one of the battle scene extras in the movie, Braveheart didn't you? You were on the Scottish side mooning the English. Flashed a fruitbasket - I saw that! :occasion9:

November 26th, 2010, 17:46
Just for you Scotty:

I was testing children in my Glasgow Sunday school class to see if they understood the concept of getting into heaven.
I asked them, "If I sold my house and my car, had a big jumble sale and gave all my money to the church, would that get me into heaven?"
"NO!" the children answered.
"If I cleaned the church everyday, mowed the garden and kept everything tidy, would that get me into heaven?"
Again, the answer was 'No!'
By now I was starting to smile.
"Well, then, if I was kind to animals and gave sweeties to all the children, and loved my husband, would that get me into heaven?"
Again, they all answered 'No!'
I was just bursting with pride for them.
I continued, "Then how can I get into heaven?"
A six year old boy shouted, "Yuv goat tae be fukin' deid"
Kinda brings a wee tear tae yir e'e...

You have to love the Jocks

November 26th, 2010, 19:04
..I was testing children in my Glasgow Sunday school class ...

Sunday School?

FFS!

Were you in drag dear?

Do you insist the children call you "Miss"?

I think we should be told.

:rolling:

November 26th, 2010, 20:24
..Were you in drag dear? Do you insist the children call you "Miss"? I think we should be told.:rolling:

Come now Scotty we all know it's "Hen" and not "Miss"

November 26th, 2010, 21:06
Come now Scotty we all know it's "Hen" and not "Miss"

Actually, male or female, it's just "Jimmy".

You know who to ask for verification.

:sign5:

November 26th, 2010, 21:23
Actually, male or female, it's just "Jimmy". You know who to ask for verification. :sign5:

Aye we could discuss it over a finger BBQ but no need to go into that my friend...