PDA

View Full Version : Jomtien baht bus

urban cowboy-old
November 20th, 2010, 21:33
Going to Pattaya 25 November and will stay in Jomtien for almost three weeks.

Heard rumours about road works and problems with baht buses between Pattaya and Jomtien. Change of routes?

Anyone who knows about this?

RichLB
November 20th, 2010, 22:32
Going to Pattaya 25 November and will stay in Jomtien for almost three weeks.

Heard rumours about road works and problems with baht buses between Pattaya and Jomtien. Change of routes?

Anyone who knows about this?
Yep, there's roadwork, and routes have changed somewhat, but navigating the city is still simple. The corner of Pattaya Thai (South Road) and 2nd Road, in front of the school is torn up going south, but the baht buses still run from Pattaya to Jomtien. The only difference is that you have to walk about a block further up the road to Soi VC to catch them, then they head back to Pattaya and turn up Pattaya Thai to 3rd road and turn right. The baht bus then joins the old road at the overpass and follows along the usual route. Getting to Pattaya from Jomtien follows the same route as always, though, since it's just the half of the road heading south that's torn up now. But, at the rate they are working on it, it might very well be all done by the time you get here.

November 21st, 2010, 03:22
Thanks for that information i will my self will be in jomtien on the 26th nov for 2 weeks and make use of buses. looking forward to getting back to my boys.posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=20389# (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=20389#)

goji
November 21st, 2010, 03:49
Is the baht bus still 10 baht?

RichLB
November 21st, 2010, 11:34
Yes, the baht bus is still 10 baht, unless you tell the driver where you want to go and then the bus will transform itself into a taxi and you will have to pay pretty much whatever the driver demands. Best bet is to just hop on and if the baht bus turns off the normal route jump off and catch another one.

dab69
November 21st, 2010, 14:46
if only there were more cute motorcycle drivers in the area....

dorayme
November 23rd, 2010, 07:10
The baht busses have moved back to the corner of South by the School and head down South toward third road and mostly turn at TukCom to join third road and on to Jomtien.

urban cowboy-old
November 28th, 2010, 13:22
Now I am in Pattaya.

It is easy very going from Jomtien to Pattaya as in the past, but from Pattaya back to Jomtien it is slightly more inconvenient.

At the corner South Rd and Second Road the baht buses are standing on line but they are packing them so full so people are literally hanging outside the vehicles. You have to wait until one car is on its way to get a seat on the next car. And to stop a car en route towards Jomtien is quite complicated because when they pass you on the street they are full.....

November 29th, 2010, 00:07
Any idea , when it will get back to normal

neddy3
November 29th, 2010, 11:40
Any idea , when it will get back to normal

Judging by the amount of road dug up between the school corner and the bridge, along Thappraya, it will be a long time in the re-building.
Currently one side is dug up for cement laying over a long distance.

Expect traffic jams all through high season in this area.

And when one side of the road eventually gets finished, then the other side begins.

The road widening project along Pratumak is a good indicator of how quickly things don't progress.

One good thing noticed: Traffic lights are beginning to be installed at Pratumak junction, and the junction under the Bali Hai/Third Road flyover.

November 30th, 2010, 21:57
Its not the price or frequency or whathaveyou of the baht buses, WATCH out for the pickpockets!!

December 3rd, 2010, 03:52
Its not the price or frequency or whathaveyou of the baht buses, WATCH out for the pickpockets!!

An important reminder for those who travel on this uncomfortable and unfortunately, only realistic essential means of transport. The pick pockets are never far away and will eventually sit next to you and try to steal from you. They are occasionally caught, but soon manage to return to their parasitic ways, pursuading visitors not to return to Thailand.

The following recent report tells all:
http://www.pattayamail.com/899/news08.shtml

December 7th, 2010, 08:50
Spent the weekend in Jomtien Complex and decided to go Downtown by baht bus.
Towards downtown no problem; arrived within 15 minutes at Central.
Around 9 p.m. I decided to return to Jomtien:
- got a baht bus on Beach road (Soi 7)
- took me to the junction South Pattaya Road and Second Road in 40 minutes
- got off the bus, because the daft thing was turning left onto 2nd road.
- crossed 2nd road and headed for a row of baht buses, waiting for passengers.
- asked 5 drivers: "bpai nai?" answer was "Sukhumvit"
- I crossed South Pattaya road and followed Prathamnuk Road - Theppraya Road.
- once past the fly over to Bali Hai pier it couldn't be an issue to get a baht bus
- during my hike, back to Jomtien Complex, I was passed by loads of loaded baht buses or private baht buses.
- I passed a lot of waiting people, waiting for a baht bus and probably still waiting.
- 200 meters before Jomtien Complex I got the first opportunity to stop a baht bus........or better.....he stopped anyway.
- 4 kilometers and 1.5 hour...........at 22.30 I was back in the hotel.

Narakmak
December 7th, 2010, 13:05
Where the bus turned left on 2nd road, you should have turned right. The queue is right there, adjacent to the school on the corner on the same side of the road as the school. That queue all goes to Jomtien and it is the way to go to Jomtien. Currently they are strangely facing the wrong way, north, because they do take a detour on South Pattaya road before they wind back by way of third road. They don't wait on South Pattaya road. Those buses do go to Sukhumwit. Sorry for any tourists that make this mistake, yes, that was a big big mistake given the current setup.