PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving dinner at Street Life

lonelywombat
November 20th, 2010, 08:15
My expat friend from Fire island is going here next thursday. Knowing Richard it will surely be a feast fit for a king or a queen for scottish-guy. He has some very pleasant white wine that you will enjoy with this.[attachment=0:2ugaqysh]Thanksgiving.jpg[/attachment:2ugaqysh]

Diec
November 20th, 2010, 10:42
Sounds a little (lot) pricey to me...but maybe turkey is expensive in Thailand.

November 20th, 2010, 13:03

Pricey, yes pricey. $26.95 for a turkey dinner is just a bit over the top. Way over the top actually. :sign5:

lonelywombat
November 20th, 2010, 13:05

, I work very hard for my money (I manage a multi million dollar company) and if I purchase something that is defective, I would like to get my money back.

The cost of this meal is lower than what you would pay in NZ or OZ in an equivalent restaurant

Less than $30 Aust the full dinner where most mains in Melbourne are over $34.

Cafe Ritz charges 395 baht for their 3 course incl turkey good for a cafe , but the Street Life is much better value.

Dramaqueen it is not just a turkey dinner Read the menu.

November 20th, 2010, 13:08

, I work very hard for my money (I manage a multi million dollar company) and if I purchase something that is defective, I would like to get my money back.

The cost of this meal is lower than what you would pay in NZ or OZ in an equivalent restaurant

Less than $30 Aust the full dinner where most mains in Melbourne are over $34.

Cafe Ritz charges 395 baht for their 3 course incl turkey good for a cafe , but the Street Life is much better value.

Dramaqueen it is not just a turkey dinner Read the menu.

I did read the menu and there is nothing special that I can see. Just the standard side dishes that go with a Thanksgiving dinner. I have nothing against Richard at all and I am sure the dinner will taste great but I honestly believe the price is just way too high.

Narakmak
November 20th, 2010, 13:47
Holidays have always been cash cows for restaurants. Why should it be different in Thailand? If you want it, pay it, if not, don't. Easy.

travelerjim
November 20th, 2010, 15:34
List of Thanksgiving Dinners in Pattaya restaurants:

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1761

Enjoy!

tj

November 24th, 2010, 16:50
I did not see a time???

Richsilver
November 25th, 2010, 15:35
I did not see a time???
No set time, just go.

homeseeker
November 25th, 2010, 15:50
"The cost of this meal is lower than what you would pay in NZ or OZ in an equivalent restaurant "

-well we are not in NZ or OZ thankfully. Sign of a total amateur to use the argument about cost by comparing prices here with other countries.

agree there is nothing special in the menu and the price is indeed ludicrously high.

anyone who pays the exorbitant amount is a total sucker, but it seems Pattaya is full of such people.

Up2U
November 27th, 2010, 00:30
"The cost of this meal is lower than what you would pay in NZ or OZ in an equivalent restaurant "

-well we are not in NZ or OZ thankfully. Sign of a total amateur to use the argument about cost by comparing prices here with other countries.

agree there is nothing special in the menu and the price is indeed ludicrously high.

anyone who pays the exorbitant amount is a total sucker, but it seems Pattaya is full of such people.

Can you appreciate the fact that imported food costs more in Thailand? Where was the last turkey farm you saw in Thailand?

You ever buy a car here? A $50,000 BMW states-side, costs the equivalent of $200,000 here.

krobbie
November 27th, 2010, 04:56
Personally I think the price is very reasonable.

If only the luncheon at the Shangril La on December 25th was only this much.

Probably the same but with a view for which I will pay dearly. :nud:

November 27th, 2010, 06:03

Proof (if it were needed) that you really are mentally defective.

The Ritz Cafe in Jomtien is far superior, in every respect, to Amor; Street Life or whatever the next name of the place will be.

Ritz offers good, well cooked, wholesome food at a very reasonable price. The food is hot when it gets to the table and the owner doesn't suffer from verbal diarrhoea or loneliness so you can get on and eat while it's still hot. Oh yes ... and Ritz has lots of customers, every night.

What possible comparison is there to Street Life?

cdnmatt
November 27th, 2010, 06:57
but maybe turkey is expensive in Thailand.

Yes, turkey's are expensive here. How often do you see turkey's in the street markets or even grocery stores?

Lots of food items are expensive here, like cheese for example.

krobbie
November 27th, 2010, 10:05
Exactly. A bit off topioc but, I am bringing some cheeses with me at Christmas. We enjoy some good New Zealand cheddar with wine before dinner or a lovely soft cheese with some crisp fruit after ward. It drives me insane that I can only get that hideous orange processed rubbish from my local Tops and there is no delicatessen in south Sathorn that I am aware of.

The heaviest items in my luggage when I pack is the cheeses and 3 bottles of wine. 2 French fizz and one very good NZ Sauvignon Blanc. Although my boy friend is Muslim he is quite partial to a pre-dinner glass and some cheese.

Chaaaaaaaaars.

firecat69
November 27th, 2010, 16:04
You can get any kind of cheeses you want although expensive at Siam Paragon or Central World

November 27th, 2010, 20:45
You can get any kind of cheeses you want although expensive at Siam Paragon or Central World

Alternatively, you could get a life.

:occasion9:

lonelywombat
December 1st, 2010, 05:08

Proof (if it were needed) that you really are mentally defective.

The Ritz Cafe in Jomtien is far superior, in every respect, to Amor; Street Life or whatever the next name of the place will be.

Ritz offers good, well cooked, wholesome food at a very reasonable price. The food is hot when it gets to the table and the owner doesn't suffer from verbal diarrhoea or loneliness so you can get on and eat while it's still hot. Oh yes ... and Ritz has lots of customers, every night.

What possible comparison is there to Street Life?

Ritz is owned by a former Defence Force cook who is used to cooking in bulk and reheating quickly as required. Probably most of his experience was in the junior ranks messes.
I have had lunch several times since returning with a former Army colleague who travels an hour each way by train to eat at the club, similar meals similar price, 5 courses, free bread rolls and coffee. I asked him did he get bored with the same thing 3 times per week.
he repled "beggars cant be choosers" on my income I am only interested in price and quantity.

There are people who prefer variety, better cooked meals with a range of options in good surroundings and prepared to pat extra for it. I dont think Ritz has changed the menu for as long as it has been open. Same entrees, same desserts, same roast with steamed vegetables.

Richard was I believe maitre'd at Dusit before opening Amor. He well knows what his clients at Amor expect and what they are prepared to pay. I enjoy dining there and the range of good quality wines available by the glass. Like many others I think the prices are reasonable and good value. Ritz only offers cheap wine by the glass which is barely drinkable.

Of course Richard is not getting younger, he is getting big around the girth and you suggest has verbal diarrhoea. You should get along very well together as you seem to be made for each other.

Geezer
December 1st, 2010, 14:00
Where was the last turkey farm you saw in Thailand?

IтАШve not seen one, but there are various, such as this one in Loei..

тАЬSeeing so many turkeys at a time is really a pleasurable experience of life. You will love this sight. When these turkeys move from one corner to another corner the entire view of the farm really transcends the description of beauty.тАЭ
http://travel.mapsofworld.com/tours-to- ... -farm.html (http://travel.mapsofworld.com/tours-to-thailand/loei-attractions/mueang-loei-turkey-farm.html)