PDA

View Full Version : Thai oysters ???

lonelywombat
November 20th, 2010, 06:42
Last night I went to a seafood dinner with some interstate and NZ friends. There was a lot of friendly rivalry about Aust and NZ oysters until someone mentioned Thai oysters.

I have never heard of nor seen Thai oysters offered in restaurants but my friend insists they are available, larger than what we are used to down under and an aquired taste.

He claimed the last time he had Thai oysters was in a Japanese restaurant just near Holiday Inn in Silom. I personally believe if there are such a thing as Thai oysters they would be similar to Thai wine.

Can anyone add to the story.

cdnmatt
November 20th, 2010, 07:03
A Thai oyster is about as common as a Thai lobster. In other words, it doesn't exist. Or at least I've never seen it, but maybe I'm wrong.

If anything, I'd say it's a marketing gimmick. "Ohhh, we have some very special South African crab for sale tonight, only $65/pound!", all the while it's just shit crab they picked off the street market, type of thing.

Dboy
November 20th, 2010, 07:16
It's probably those little clams you get steamed from the food carts. Aroy mak.

mahjongguy
November 20th, 2010, 07:47
Yes there are oysters in Thailand. They are farmed along the Gulf and are fairly big.

I've been with my b/f in Silom when he had them on the half shell from a street vendor. They are also popular, no surprise, in Thai omelettes (khai jiaw, р╣Др╕Вр╣Ир╣Ар╕Ир╕╡р╕в р╕з).

arsenal
November 20th, 2010, 15:05
South East Asia leads the world in farmed shellfish so it would be surprising if there were no Thai oysters.

Narakmak
November 20th, 2010, 15:45
Of course there are Thai oysters. Go to any Tops, Lotus, etc.. There they are in the plastic bins.

November 20th, 2010, 16:37
any place that sells seafood has the plastic bins with small Thai oysters. The larger ones are not so common.

November 20th, 2010, 20:47
I have eaten Thai Oysters many times in both Bangkok and Pattaya. There used to be a large Sea Food Resturant more or less opposite Alcazar Show building were you could get a huge plate piled up in a pyramid form around ice for next to nothing. One thing though if the oysters come from a farm then they should be relatively safe, but if taken from unknown places then they could end up making you ill same with most other seafoods so be carefully.

francois
November 20th, 2010, 21:39
But yes, beaucoup oysters are available in Thailand. The bf always orders them if on the menu and they are large. I introduced them to him for their therapeutic value! But I would not eat them since am concerned they may be contaminated. They are not as delicate in flavor as NZ or USA or French oysters; the Thais heap on various sauces and herbs which thoroughly ruins a good oyster.
Sometimes we get imported oysters which even the bf enjoys more then the local ones but still murders them with condiments.