PDA

View Full Version : Daily phone calls from Red Cross to elderly

lonelywombat
November 17th, 2010, 07:42
I have an older friend living by himself,who shocked me when he expressed fears that he might die and not be found for days/weeks/months. He has arranged for Red Cross to ring him each morning just to see if he is OK.

He is adamant he will not leave his home close to one of our cities biggest parks, regardless of any health problems that might occur in the future. He prefers to use council visiting nursing and if he cannot cook, then meals on wheels. I am staying put and there is no option.

I have never given much thought to what I would do when I become less agile. I have investigated options in Pattaya for friends in the past and feel they are better remaining at home, where they have access to free medical and hospital care.

Gay radio has just mentioned an organization Abbeyfield, a UK gay support for the elderly that is now operating in several Australian states. Do they operate in Thailand or are there not enough younger gays to support a community project?

An expat I know in Pattaya told me he has cash set aside to fly him home if he has urgent medical problems. He assumes he will be allowed on the plane and that seats would be available if and when he wanted. Is he typical of the elderly in Pattaya in good health?
Do they all have the option to return home for medical treatment? Does health insurance cover pre existing conditions, My Australian health cover does not pay on medical expenses overseas.

This link is to the Australian site

http://www.abbeyfield.org.au/

cdnmatt
November 17th, 2010, 11:18
I have the same health care plan as the Republicans:

http://img.youtube.com/vi/-usmvYOPfco/0.jpg

It's a good one. :) Not worried though, as health care in Thailand is cheap, and I obviously still have a pretty decent immune system. Five days ago I burnt the shit out of my hand thanks to a grease fire I had going, and now, you can't even tell my hand was full of blisters. It's basically fully healed already. Now that's some good DNA, I tell ya. :)

November 17th, 2010, 13:47
I don't know, whether there is a service like it in Pattaya.
I'm willing to set up a service like that if there is enough interest in it.
Of course it won't be only for the gay expats.

November 18th, 2010, 02:32
Getting the Red Cross to check each day whether you have died the night before?

That must be what "Living the dream in Thailand" boils down to.

How depressing.

lonelywombat
November 18th, 2010, 08:07
More info on the calls from Red Cross and local council. Not just to see if they are still living
as the forums great wit suggests. There is more concern that old people living alone can have falls or are sick and cannot get treatment. Often they cannot get out to visit a doctor or even to shop. These calls probe things like diet, housework, medication etc.

Local councils do great work when they know of a problem.

But does anything like that exist in Pattaya Is it all take and no compassion.

Joseph44 offer to get involved in setting something up might have fallen on deaf expats ears.

Nobody has suggested any support for the gay elderly exists in Pattaya, nor denies it could be helpful. Our local gay community here in OZ seems to be very active so I will try and get more info on what they do, as a starting point.

Diec
November 18th, 2010, 08:47
If the Red Cross has enough money to worry about ex-pats in a foreign country,of their own choosing, and worrying if they are alive or dead, it seems as if they have enough money to work with, without my donation. Afterall, they chose to leave their country.

November 18th, 2010, 10:17
If the Red Cross has enough money to worry about ex-pats in a foreign country,of their own choosing, and worrying if they are alive or dead, it seems as if they have enough money to work with, without my donation. Afterall, they chose to leave their country.

Not always Diec, a lot of (retired) expats "chose" to stay in Thailand because of the simple fact, that their pension and possible private-savings are just enough to pay the rent and utility-bills in their home-country. In Thailand they can live a lot more comfortable.
Of course there is the problem of social-welfare and health-care; I think there is no reason to withold these major things in an older life. It's bad enough that most retired expats aren't insured because of their age........

Beachlover
November 18th, 2010, 18:45
If the purpose was simply to establish the "client" is still alive, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for the Red Cross to have a system where the "clients" call in or SMS by a certain time each day? If they missed a call, then the Red Cross call centre could call them.

November 18th, 2010, 18:50
If the purpose was simply to establish the "client" is still alive, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for the Red Cross to have a system where the "clients" call in or SMS by a certain time each day? If they missed a call, then the Red Cross call centre could call them.

Maybe that's the reason 'someone' sleeps on the toilet floor of the Corner Bar!

bigben
November 18th, 2010, 22:25
BL, you are correct that it makes better sense for the "Client" to either call or SMS by a certain time then to have the Red Cross call to them everyday---good idea.

Not sure what sleeping on the toilet floor at the Corner bar has to do with this issue.

An inside joke perhaps---Yuk---Lost in the bottle??? >> :bot:

witchhunt
November 19th, 2010, 05:40
The brilliant wit continues to derail another serious subject, It also shows that BL does not read the posts before he rushes in with his reply.

Many elderly people are very independent and often dont want to complain. Volunteers ringing daily to check on their state of health, medications and need for help is an excellent tool to keep these people from withdrawing into themselves and lets them know what is available to help.

Only BL would think of an aged person as being fit, able or interested in texting a RC volunteeer.

The selfish and sarcastic replies give a good insight to the people posting them.

November 19th, 2010, 16:21
..Only BL would think of an aged person as being fit, able or interested in texting a RC volunteeer....

On the other hand these aged peoople seem to be fit, able, and interested enough to screw.

It's amazing what they can do when they put their mind to it - so I would have thought that sending one SMS per day would not only be possible but unlikely to seriously interfere with their fornication schedule.

:hello1: :hello1:

Beachlover
November 19th, 2010, 18:42
The brilliant wit continues to derail another serious subject
A little humour and fun? Can't have that!

Seriously, why don't you go to GBT? There you can read wonderful topics posted by morons like LMTU (GB's new best buddy) who puts up topics like "FLAMING CYBER SEX" and "IF YOU THINK HE LIKES YOU!!! READ THIS???"

Many elderly people are very independent and often dont want to complain. Volunteers ringing daily to check on their state of health, medications and need for help is an excellent tool to keep these people from withdrawing into themselves and lets them know what is available to help.
That's why I said, "If the purpose was simply to establish the "client" is still alive...". Read my post again.