PDA

View Full Version : Le Cafe Royal

frequentflier
November 17th, 2010, 01:43
Am planning my next visit to Pattaya and looking for a good deal.Went to the website of L.C.R. and noticed that they have an 8 month high season.nov. to end of june.As I am going in march or april I was expecting a much lesser price..Wishful thinking.I have stayed there before and met people just back from there and they had a good time,but the high season does not extend to end of june..

Diec
November 17th, 2010, 02:03
Frequey, I did a little research and found you can get an executive room for less than $60 per night! Now I know our resident beachbore would consider this as slumming since he is very wealthy and only stays in the finest of hotels...but for us non pretentious types, I'm sure it will be fine. I have stayed there myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff is very attentive and the rooms are also very nice.

November 17th, 2010, 07:01
Did I miss something? Does Copa rent out rooms? I thought that CR and Copa are connected (construction wise).
Or did the Massage Department refurbish the rooms into hotelrooms?

travelerjim
November 17th, 2010, 09:14
LCR & Copa rooms were managed by LCR...
however, last year they separated business dealings,
and now some of the hotel rooms which were managed by LCR are
now managed by Copa Hotel. New entrance to Copa hotel...
and they BOTH have an elevator/lift.
tj

November 17th, 2010, 11:14
My most recent visit to LCR was about a year ago and found the rooms to be just fine. I have stayed there for many years and find the
service and accomodations to be consistent over the years. I agree you can find cheaper hotels in the area but LCR is worth the extra cost.

jolyjacktar
November 17th, 2010, 18:35
I looked in LCR rooms back in July and i thought now theyve lost the Copa rooms their rooms looked very tired and a bit tatty which is a shame as i used to like staying there.

November 17th, 2010, 18:43
Places like LCR and Ambiance are, I believe, are on par with each other with regard to prices and Le Cafe had special low season rates this year. Yes, they are a little overpriced , but have a look at what you get, a relatively good menu, an understandable western management, clean and secure rooms to name a few. They are centrally located in the "face of it all", although I'm not sure what is central anymore, as the scene has spread out a little. But from what I can gather, when I have stayed there, they are full, not sure if they are full all year round, I bet they are. If they were empty, they would reduce their charges I'm sure. Copa is new but even after a couple of years, that will start to look "tired" like most places when they have been used a little.

Now, lets turn to the other places - have you ever stayed at the Serene, for example - I have - what a ****hole. I rest my case.

November 17th, 2010, 19:09
Some people don't seem to realize that Cafe Royale and Copa split in May 2010.

The rooms above Copa used to be connected to and managed by Cafe Royale. In May/June this year Copa started to manage their own rooms, built a new lift for their side of the building and sealed the joining walkways.

http://www.caferoyale-pattaya.com/index.php?p=room

http://www.copapattaya.com/hotel.php

IMO .. Copa is much more comfortable, much better rooms, better wifi, better showers, better value all round - no contest.
Cafe Royale still has its restaurant if you want to eat there ... and still has its old, tired rooms.

Copa rooms are on a par with Ambiance ... LCR's are definitely not.

November 18th, 2010, 07:02
LCR has been refurbished, to a certain extent, the bar piano room, lift, few refurbs to rooms a couple of years ago, agreed still a little tired, but still ok. As I said give me LCR as opposed to Serene anytime. With regard to food, I think you get a full English breakfast with tea toast the lot at LCR for 180 bht or even less, I paid 60 bht many years ago in a local joint once round the corner, I got two eggs, piece of beef bacon as big as my finger and a stupid tiddler of a sausage with fancy cuttings round it, what a joke. You get what you pay for. If you fancy staying at a dingy hotel with smelly carpets, and the like for 600 a night, go for it. Whilst the LCR isn't luxury, it does the job, and rarely empty, and if you are a regular and stay there for a while, I'm sure LCR will do a deal with you, and more importantly very helpful staff and management, you only have to ask and they help.

November 18th, 2010, 13:11
With regard to food, I think you get a full English breakfast with tea toast the lot at LCR for 180 bht or even less,

200 Baht is now the rate for the full English breakfast. LCR breakfasts used to be a a very good deal - not now. The quality of the sausages and bacon has deteriorated. In previous years there was unlimited refills of tea with this breakfast. Now you get one cup and refills are 60 Baht each.

Copa gives guests unlimited cups of complimentary tea or coffee on the terrace and has a kettle in the rooms for making your own.

travelerjim
November 18th, 2010, 13:33
Sad to hear of the decline of the LCR...
The management of past was very good at taking care...
but many have now passed on...May they RIP.

Used to be that when you ordered the English Breakfast or American BF,
you would get a POT of coffee or Tea...now you get a cup, IF you are lucky!

One day I ordered hot tea, and got a cup of tea.
When I asked for a second cup of hot water for the teabag I already had..
they charged me 60 baht.

One evening I ordered a coffee...
NO, I did not get the pot of coffee I was used to getting, and enjoyed...
but when the coffee came..I had to look and I wondered "Where's the Coffee" ???
the cup was only half full...I guess such is the times...and I do not go back very often now.

I do miss Ian, Ian and Mick..such wonderful management of earlier LCR years.

tj