PDA

View Full Version : Plus and minus report on the Venue, November

lonelywombat
November 16th, 2010, 07:39
I visited late October and was hustled along to Jomtien complex by my friend who eats at Cafe Ritz every second night. The shock on his face when he found they were closed for holidays should have warned me we were in for one of his moods.

Fuck it he claimed, we will go to Aquarius instead, and very pleased I was, even though he wasn't. He did admit, it was probably worth second visit. A big admission from he who hates changes to his routines.

Not quite opposite the Venue and closer to Poseiden but same side as the old Montys, great value and good food. Makes a great night out predinner followed a night at the Venue.

The pre show happy hour seems to be successful as there were more drinkers than usual before the first show. During the show I appreciated the waiters serving topless and drink service during the show was timely and unintrusive. All 3 points a welcome improvement for drink service from my last visit in August.

The lady boys when used were really great and dressed lavishly, the backup dancers well rehearsed, Ray's cameo was professional and the eighty+ drag performer still seems out of place. Something seemed different, overall the show seemed shorter and not the same standard. No It was not a sunday night.

Two weeks ago on my way home from the UK, I called in to see if it was just an off night.

My friend complained ten minutes into the show that maybe only a couple of boys looked """do-able""" . I agreed at least one maybe two, but in the main the rest too old to be called dancing boys. It was then we started to become aware of the increased role of the "boys" as performers. Two miming "soloists and the singing barman, then Ray and the old girl, the Venue had a different feel, the standard appeared to have dropped.

The glamour of the ladyboys had made the show and now they are being used more sparingly, it seemed out of balance. The use of the boys as artists seemed to rob the show of its glamour.

We discussed within the group what we looked forward to in a show like the Venue. We dont want to sing along but would like to know the words or understand what the words are.
The choice of numbers for the ladyboy stars were no longer what we knew or understood and had become boring. One number seemed to have no words just a single note for 15 seconds at a time, meaningless.

As for the video clips between shows they are boring and interfere with conversation and probably with drinking, therefore profits. Whoever decided that 15 minutes between shows is the recipe for success should review his reason. I am sure there cannot be two.

Some expats might argue they are still getting good crowds, but what are their drink prices?
A good night out if you do not want to pay too much for a drink, and the show is easy on the eye.

Hopefully it is not in decline and reinstates itself quickly as the premier show bar in Gay Pattaya.

Beachlover
November 16th, 2010, 10:30
Nice report...

My friend complained ten minutes into the show that maybe only a couple of boys looked """do-able""" . I agreed at least one maybe two
Just imagine what the boys say when they look out into the audience from the stage. :occasion9:

netrix
November 16th, 2010, 11:44
:laughing3:

November 16th, 2010, 15:00
Nice report...

My friend complained ten minutes into the show that maybe only a couple of boys looked """do-able""" . I agreed at least one maybe two
Just imagine what the boys say when they look out into the audience from the stage. :occasion9:

They don't have to say anything .... vomiting speaks for itself

:occasion9:

allieb
November 16th, 2010, 15:04
Nice report...

God's waiting room

travelerjim
November 16th, 2010, 16:00
lw,

Thanks for your report.

I saw the Venue Show one night last week and thoroughly enjoyed it!
The audience appeared to like it too, and they laughed and laughed
through the intermission funny videos shown on the screen.

I am a simple fella and give credit where credit is due.
In my opinion, it is the best show in Pattaya!

And thankfully there are several good shows to attend.
Variety is the spice of life. In Pattaya we have many good choices for entertainment.

If one is looking for "do-able" Thais...pass on it...it is not a sex show.
However, I do fine several of the cast as well as waiters good lookers..
and Up to You and Up to Them to make the connection.

That 18 year old NEW cast member and singer is so adorable..and with talent... on stage.
With Ray as his tutor, he can become a Star in the Show and others too.

The Venue Show is entertaining and performed with an abundance of energy
with a talented cast. I love the array of songs and the professional, fashionable
costumes are excellent. The dance choreography is well done too.

The elderly lady is adorable too. She happily sings a song or two during the intermission,
and at age 78+ can still rouse the audience. As I watched her perform on stage, I also watched the audience reaction. Most loved her and good for her!

As I understand it, she is one of the first transsexual ladies who had a long and successful career entertaining in Australia for over 50 years in cabaret shows. She now lives in Pattaya. Definitely, she has earned her stripes in the gay identity annals of history.

For the Venue to put on three shows nightly from 10:00pm...with but short
15 minute breaks ...and not a repeat of song or dance..is wonderful.

The drink prices are most reasonable and NO cover charge.
I wonder how they do it, but they do!

The Happy Hour special drinks menu - between the hours of 4pm-9pm - are Two for One.

And their hotel rooms (I saw them a couple of weeks ago) are beautiful,
look comfortable and the hotel has an elevator/lift. Room rates are reasonable.
Their small swimming pool is inviting and looks relaxing for resting and reading.

I have and do encourage all my friends and visitors to support the Venue Show...
as well as their hotel. I am so pleased they chose Pattaya to invest.

They have become an important part of our gay community and they actively support
several charities very well, with their charitable interests and commitment.

tj

frequentflier
November 16th, 2010, 23:33
I went to the Venue on my last visit to Pattaya and didnt like it at all.I have to say that a lot of people that were there did like it.Its just a matter of taste but not for me.The Copa was much better and had far more people.

witchhunt
November 19th, 2010, 05:43
I went to the Venue on my last visit to Pattaya and didnt like it at all.I have to say that a lot of people that were there did like it.Its just a matter of taste but not for me.The Copa was much better and had far more people.

When you are an expat living in Jomtien on limited means, the show is great value and the drinks only 100 baht. You can sometimes get away with just one drink all night. Good value.

allieb
November 19th, 2010, 12:52

When you are an expat living in Jomtien on limited means, the show is great value and the drinks only 100 baht. You can sometimes get away with just one drink all night. Good value.

If you cant afford to go than stay at home. It's people like you who take a seat and nurse one drink all night who force these places to put up prices to survive. In a places like the Venue where the drinks are reasonable there should be a minimum charge of at least the value of 3 or 4 drinks per person.

November 19th, 2010, 15:06
If you cant afford to go than stay at home. It's people like you who take a seat and nurse one drink all night who force these places to put up prices to survive. In a places like the Venue where the drinks are reasonable there should be a minimum charge of at least the value of 3 or 4 drinks per person.

I think "Witchunt" was being a little tongue-in-cheek.

At least I hope so!

:laughing3:

travelerjim
November 19th, 2010, 18:10
I believe the Venue is a great place for everyone to enjoy a night out.

Whether it be one drink or more...
the show is entertaining and affordable, regardless of ones bank balance.

I applaud the Venue for making everyone feel welcome...
whether you are on holiday or you are a resident Expat.

Thank you!

tj

Beachlover
November 19th, 2010, 19:02
I agree. That's pretty poor form.

One drink is ok if you're just popping in for a drink and a look see. But if you're staying there all night, why the hell would you have just one drink? Isn't that a shit way to spend your night, rationing your sips?

I mean, we're talking about $3 here. At home if I buy a round of drinks at a bar with mates, it's $50 to $100.

November 20th, 2010, 02:21
..... At home if I buy a round of drinks at a bar with mates, it's $50 to $100.

Darling, that's what happens when all your friends are screaming queens drinking daiquiris.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

bucknaway
November 20th, 2010, 06:41
I probably should have visited the Venue when I was there, but I just don't like drag. I walked past the place almost every night but I never felt the desire to go in.

travelerjim
November 20th, 2010, 08:00
I probably should have visited the Venue when I was there, but I just don't like drag. I walked past the place almost every night but I never felt the desire to go in.

Bucky,

You missed a good show...and NOT all drag and lip sync.

Like you, I am not much into the drag scene, however,
I find the spirited music uplifting.

I like the many talented male singers and dancers in their sexy and
beautiful costumes. Also, they accompany drag queens who are very talented too.

They all do their best to present an enjoyable three shows of entertainment
six nights weekly.

Hope you had a great and MOST pleasurable trip! :hello2:

tj

Beachlover
November 20th, 2010, 14:12
..... At home if I buy a round of drinks at a bar with mates, it's $50 to $100.

Darling, that's what happens when all your friends are screaming queens drinking daiquiris.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

They're all straight!... Usually ordering beers when catching up. Cocktails or spirits later if it's a big night.