PDA

View Full Version : How do you celebrate Christmas?

Cees-Holland
November 14th, 2010, 22:18
Last year Lotus in Hua Hin sold plastic Christmas trees. They had many many, a big pile of boxes.

Not sure how the days would go, around Christmas and new year and what is normal in Thailand, I decided firstly to speak with my BF before buying it. That turned out to be a mistake, the next day they were sold-out.

I wonder what other people in Thailand do.
Will you decorate your house (a bit)?
Set up a tree?
Invite friends, visit friends?
Or will it be business as usual.

Narakmak
November 14th, 2010, 22:41
Just like back home in America. Go out or Chinese food!

cdnmatt
November 15th, 2010, 00:06
Will be business as usual around here. Just another day in the neighborhood.

I'll probably totally forget it's Christmas Day, unless I look at Facebook that day.

jinks
November 15th, 2010, 01:01
Christmas Dinner around 3pm with good friends and some new ones who by next Christmas will be amongst the good ones.

November 15th, 2010, 05:00
Christmas Dinner around 3pm with good friends and some new ones who by next Christmas will be amongst the good ones.

Me,

All of the above and plenty more

,I didn't expect to be home this year at Xmas.

I remember last year,I was sat with an Irish Guy in the Bangkok Hilton hospital and we had some bread,ham,boiled jacket potatoes and real butter that a scots buddhist monk had brought in for the Irishman,who shared it with me and another guy from Sweden.

So you could say, there was an Englishman,.Irishman and Scotsman having Xmas dinner and.................but that wasn't the case because the other one was Swedish. It tasted fabulous,

I remember it well,I'll be having something better than that this year though, I hope! and washed down with a little wine too!!

It was a slightly funny experience seeing Chinese/Thai catholics coming around the hospital in 37 degrees heat with flashing santa hats and big smiles,playing a guitar and singing jingle bells,bizarre!

They gave me a book as well..'.Long walk to freedom' by Nelson Mandela,I kid you not!!

I was wondering for a while if they were taking the piss!

Cheers,

Beachlover
November 15th, 2010, 06:50
I'm not a Christian so Christmas has no significance for me, other than being an excuse to get together with friends, work-related people or family. If I'm overseas I usually don't do anything.

Same goes with Easter... couldn't care less about it.

gra46
November 15th, 2010, 07:09
Last year i was in Thailand at christmas and new year it was very quiet ,just a few drinks with my guy family
So this Year i be in bangkok for xmas not sure what i doing as my Bf i be meeting him in Chiang mai
the next day
So i will be in CM 16 days so looking to find something for NYE

pong
November 15th, 2010, 08:44
spent those days in Thaild since by now the last 21-22 years (incl the coming). Will not pay any attention to it (except being annoyed by those songs in Carrefour and tescoLotus)-in fact I always stay till at least fater to escape all that mess.
And mind you-I hail from a country where Xmas is not even that big an affair as for UK/US-we have another traditional main event a few weeks earlier. Xmas is for most eat-too-much, drink-too-muth , be with the fameelee and formerly (26/12) the day to get traditionally engaged for soon to be (or not) weddings.

krobbie
November 16th, 2010, 02:47
They gave me a book as well..'.Long walk to freedom' by Nelson Mandela,I kid you not!!

I was wondering for a while if they were taking the piss!

Cheers,

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah. That is funny.

I usually spend the day with my dwindling family at my sisters house. We eat traditional fare even though it is high Summer in New Zealand.

This year though I shall be in Bangkok. I will start the day at Christs Church at Sathorn, which my Muslim lover will be at also. He really enjoys the service as there is no condemnation, just fellowship, joy and singing.

It also happens to be my lovers birthday, so we will have a great lunch at somewhere hi so (for a change) down by the river and then spend the evening in the company of friends and something less elaborate in the food line.

He will give me gifts as it is Christmas and I will give him more gifts as it is Christmas and his birthday. I will enjoy this day as I am able to share it with him and friends from Sydney who are flying in also.

chillnorth
November 16th, 2010, 04:49
Too much baggage for me. Christmas gives me the willies, so I shall select one of them, retire home, and lock the gate.

Wesley
November 17th, 2010, 11:58
Last year Lotus in Hua Hin sold plastic Christmas trees. They had many many, a big pile of boxes.

Not sure how the days would go, around Christmas and new year and what is normal in Thailand, I decided firstly to speak with my BF before buying it. That turned out to be a mistake, the next day they were sold-out.

I wonder what other people in Thailand do.
Will you decorate your house (a bit)?
Set up a tree?
Invite friends, visit friends?
Or will it be business as usual.

In the Philippines its way too much as it is in America.

November 17th, 2010, 13:40
Like Kevin, I'll be at home for Chirstmas, unlike Kevin it was my own choice not to celebrate it at home over the last years.

Where I stay now, Christmas season has started: Some Koreans do have a decorated X-mas tree in the house and colored lights are flashing in the evening from the balcony.

While here in Pattaya, X-Mas wasn't celebrated by me........well apart from 2 place mats on the table which my sister gave me 10 years ago. X-Mas in Thailand is celebrated by the Thai as if it is Halloween, Carnaval or even New Year......it's just another reason to get completely pissed.

So, this year for the first time in 7 years a X-Mas in the cold Lowlands.