PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Soi Twilight

firecat69
November 11th, 2010, 23:36
Arrived in Bangkok last night so took a short visit to Soi Twilight tonight. Had dinner at the new and expanded Dick's Cafe. Tables were all full except one seat and street appeared to be very busy.

My first stop was Oceans in the former site of Future Boys. The renovation is quite nice with comfortable sofas and new stage and area for Coyote Dancers. Ordered a Diet Coke and it took a ridiculous amount of time for it to come but since I really consider it as an entrance fee id din't really care.

Was given a cold towel and some chips which is a nice touch.

Now I know that Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder but for this beholder , the 30 or 40 boys that were rotating were some of the most unattractive boys I have ever seen in a GO Go Bar in Thailand. There was not one boy I would have offed for free. I recognize others may have a different take so take a look if you are there.

Next I went to Xboys which has been my favorite for a long time. Some familiar faces and a few new ones. Some cute boys and by comparison, far more attractive then Oceans IMHO.

Next X Size. Up the stairs and as I entered the Bar I saw more cute boys in 15 seconds , then I had seen all night. Now I am a face person and that is what attracts me and then look at the rest as the parade continues. There were probably 40-50 boys and at least 10 I would have taken on face alone.

Unfortunately my favorites were of the straight variety and had no intention of being Bottoms. But there were others who certainly would have , but alas I was too tired to partake. I left as soon as the show started.(I hate shows)

That was enough for me . I think the drinks were 240 everywhere except I only paid 200 at Oceans because the mamasan was embarrassed about how long it took to bring my change.

travelerjim
November 12th, 2010, 08:21
UGG!
Your UGG's are showing...
and our jinks will be here soon.
SPAM...Bye, Bye.
tj

fedssocr
November 12th, 2010, 09:10
I have to concur about Ocean. I have never seen so many 40+ year old gogo "boys". But there was a variety...I'd guess from 18 to 50ish. I saw a few guys there with cute faces but their bodies were just too much skin and bones. Drink price was only 200 when I was there.

Wish I had known about X Size... I am a face person too.

I posted on another forum about my evening in Soi Twilight on Monday night. The Boys Bangkok/Dream Boys were packed for their show Monday night. Lots of very handsome guys there. Drinks ridiculously overpriced due to the "special show" which is really not special at all.

Unfortunately I only had a couple of days in Bangkok this trip.

Beachlover
November 13th, 2010, 16:48
Had dinner at the new and expanded Dick's Cafe. Tables were all full except one seat and street appeared to be very busy.
Heh... I like having dinner in this soi sometimes. if you're by yourself, it makes for great people watching! Never a dull moment.

November 13th, 2010, 19:13
Had dinner at the new and expanded Dick's Cafe. Tables were all full except one seat and street appeared to be very busy.
Heh... I like having dinner in this soi sometimes. if you're by yourself, it makes for great people watching! Never a dull moment.

Beachy, darling I'm starting to worry about you.............you find a procession of prostitutes and morbidly obese and decrepit farangs to be entertaining?

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

thonglor55
November 14th, 2010, 03:07
Beachy, darling I'm starting to worry about you.............you find a procession of prostitutes and morbidly obese and decrepit farangs to be entertaining?You've missed the point - he thinks they're admiring him!

danny99
November 14th, 2010, 09:12

I ate at Dick's CAfe once and I vowed never again. Service was arrogant [even by Thai standards] and the Gai Hor Bai Toey was the very worst I have ever had, tough little chunks of almost cold chicken still dripping from the oil, not marinated, not wrapped properly, not served with that wonderful tamarind sauce....when they cannot even get the simple standard dishes right they are not worth bothering with.

krobbie
November 14th, 2010, 10:09
I ate at Dick's CAfe once ....when they cannot even get the simple standard dishes right they are not worth bothering with.

danny, I concur, although I have given them 3 shots and each time they came up short. There is simply too much food readily available to put up with badly prepared and more expensive fare.

searcher
November 14th, 2010, 13:13

I ate at Dick's CAfe once and I vowed never again. Service was arrogant [even by Thai standards] and the Gai Hor Bai Toey was the very worst I have ever had, tough little chunks of almost cold chicken still dripping from the oil, not marinated, not wrapped properly, not served with that wonderful tamarind sauce....when they cannot even get the simple standard dishes right they are not worth bothering with.
I completely agree with Danny99. I was there last October with my Thai mate. The steaks were "black" , the french fries cold and snotty. I complained at the ...very arrogant ...young falang manager. He did not even answer , turned his back to us and dissappeared in the crowd of Soi Twilight. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

November 14th, 2010, 14:53
You are all being too harsh -

I find Dick's is a great place to go at 10am for that "breakfast whisky" you can't get elsewhere.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

Beachlover
November 14th, 2010, 20:12
Beachy, darling I'm starting to worry about you.............you find a procession of prostitutes and morbidly obese and decrepit farangs to be entertaining?
I find the man handling touts and the tourists entertaining... straight couples... groups of lost Asian tourists... old queens... fun to watch for a laugh.

Beachlover
November 14th, 2010, 20:13
Dicks wasn't open last time I was there so ate at another place across the soi instead. But yeah, anytime I've eaten at Dicks, I've been unimpressed by the unenthusiastic and unsmiling service. They make no effort at all. Food's never been an issue as I either have a fried rice or cheeseburger - hard to stuff up either dish.

November 25th, 2010, 23:17
Dick's Cafe has a dish called "Tender Chicken and Garlic Rice"... it's pretty good. Though I agree with the others about the service.

November 26th, 2010, 10:02
I haveeaten at Dicks Cafe a few times, always hoping that the next time the food would somehow improve. Always disappointed. We have tried Maxis on the same soi having only appetizers and I was not impressed there either.

I have all but given up on Bangkok with their screw every customer for as much as you can attitude. drinks are 300 baht for the first and 260 for the second.
I have offered 200 baht to everywhere I go and all but one accepted. Bankok Boys waved me away as though they were not going to make too mach profit on my 5 baht water at 200 baht.

I took a boy to their BBB Hotel for a quickie. The videos in the rooms for the second visit in a row was not working. Upon telling the manager that I was unhappy that the movies were not working, I like straight boys and they need the movies to help them) the response from the manager he said that I did not have to come back! I wrote an email to the owner, no response.

bangkok is cold and unfreindly.
Come to Pattaya where the boys are still freindly and the prices are still reasonable! :hello1:

Beachlover
November 26th, 2010, 13:28
Yeah, the drinks are priced at a real premium so I never buy more than one drink when I duck in to watch the show.

Never had a problem with the food at Dicks - I usually have something simple like a burger or fried rice and it's fine - It's the noticeably unenthusiastic service I find strange. There is never a thank you or welcome and I have never seen one of the waiters smile. It's like they've all been told they must act like this. Surely being a waiter would be more enjoyable when you are cheerful and smiling...

BBB Inn is known for being a complete dump. The only person I have ever seen say anything good about it is LMTU who wrote this ridiculous review saying it's just as good as the Dusit.

gerefan2
November 27th, 2010, 00:51
I have all but given up on Bangkok with their screw every customer for as much as you can attitude. drinks are 300 baht for the first and 260 for the second.
I have offered 200 baht to everywhere I go and all but one accepted. Bankok Boys waved me away as though they were not going to make too mach profit on my 5 baht water at 200 baht.

Are you telling me the price of drinks is negotiable?? Really?
If so we all need to know this and negotiate for every drink or round of drinks.

I NEVER tip (regardless of the bill) at these places more as the drinks are way overpiced anyway. Makes me feel better!
Again we should all do the same...

And the food at Dicks has been shite for years, both in BKK and Pattaya.

Beachlover
November 27th, 2010, 21:21
I don't think the drinks at the Soi Twilight places are negotiable either. And even if it were possible, the waiters and managers probably don't have that authority. I don't tip anything at these places either. Zero.

goji
November 29th, 2010, 00:56
I don't tip anything at these places either. Zero.

Good policy. They make enough on the drinks. Normally only the gogo dancers merit a tip in any case.

bucknaway
November 29th, 2010, 03:45
I tip if only because I buy one drink and sit for over an hour till I am done watching the show. Hell, that is worth 20 baht tip.

Beachlover
November 29th, 2010, 14:36
I tip if only because I buy one drink and sit for over an hour till I am done watching the show. Hell, that is worth 20 baht tip.
Not that I want to get into nitpicking on prices but look at it this way: At DJ Station you could watch their opening show and have three drinks at 100 baht each.

nanette
November 30th, 2010, 10:45
Last friday I paid 200baht entrance into DJ station & was given 2 coupons for 2 drinks, and at 1am it was packed like sardines.

Diec
November 30th, 2010, 11:57
Last friday I paid 200baht entrance into DJ station & was given 2 coupons for 2 drinks, and at 1am it was packed like sardines.

Thanks for the update natettey...anyone else have any experience with DJ being busy on a Friday?