PDA

View Full Version : Exchange rate -- affecting anyone?

cdnmatt
November 10th, 2010, 02:23
Is the exchange rate affecting anyone else living in Thailand? Aussies, stay out of the thread -- I know, I know, you think it's great right now. :P Just wait until China finishes sucking you dry of your natural resources. :P

Anyone else feeling the pinch though? We are a bit, as there's definitely less coming out of the ATM these days than before. I remember about 8 months ago, for $500 US I would easily get 16,000 baht out, and nowadays I'm lucky to get 14,500 out depending on the rate that day. Kim and myself are by no means rich at the moment (working on it -- still), and although that extra few thousand here and there isn't needed, it would be noticeable. It's shitty when I send off an invoice for a couple thousand, then find out what it's actually worth nowadays.

So how about the rest of you? Feeling the pinch at all? Or is everyone else on the board a multi-millionaire, and it doesn't matter? Unfortunately, I can only see the exchange rate getting worst, especially considering the US Fed just decided to print off another $600 billion. And SE Asia still has loads of investments coming in, so US$ continues to devalue, while baht strengthens. Oh goody!

November 10th, 2010, 02:52
... is everyone else on the board a multi-millionaire...!

Of course - how many times does Diec have to post it?

:rolling:

November 10th, 2010, 04:37
You'll be OK Matt just tighten your belt for awhile, and don't forget you have or had that free bag of rice from His Majesty perhaps he had heard of your plight!

ozcamo-old
November 11th, 2010, 08:55
Ha Ha Ha .... Aussie Aussie Aussie !!!

Best rate in a long time! Got AU$1 - THB30.1 yesterday.

Dont worry about China and resources. We got lots of red dirt Mate! (Large amount of Australians in town now and low Americans. Not surprised)

ned kelly-old
November 11th, 2010, 12:05
Aussie 30.1 yesterday...I don't believe it, the maximum for TT yesterday was 29.7 and TT is the highest rate.
The $A may have appreciated against the dollar but in the last 12 months is DOWN against the baht approx 3 or 4%. Last November it reached a high of 30.7 and at the moment is 29.5.

November 11th, 2010, 14:12
Aussie 30.1 yesterday...I don't believe it, the maximum for TT yesterday was 29.7 and TT is the highest rate.
The $A may have appreciated against the dollar but in the last 12 months is DOWN against the baht approx 3 or 4%. Last November it reached a high of 30.7 and at the moment is 29.5.Dunno where youre getting your dollars changed mate. I use a little booth near KFC on Silom Street - best rate in town. I got 30 yesterday.

Beachlover
November 11th, 2010, 15:42
Ha Ha Ha .... Aussie Aussie Aussie !!!

Best rate in a long time! Got AU$1 - THB30.1 yesterday.

Dont worry about China and resources. We got lots of red dirt Mate! (Large amount of Australians in town now and low Americans. Not surprised)
Hehe... Too right! Love this strong Aussie dollar.

These resources won't run out in my lifetime. And we're screwing every dollar we can from the Chinese for them. Boy, have they had a few tantrums lately. Only threat to us is if/when Chinese economic growth slows.

Unfortunately, I can only see the exchange rate getting worst, especially considering the US Fed just decided to print off another $600 billion. And SE Asia still has loads of investments coming in, so US$ continues to devalue, while baht strengthens. Oh goody!
If you're earning in USDs you better make those millions now!

cdnmatt
November 11th, 2010, 15:57
Yeah, live it up Aussies. Live it up! :P

Just pulled out another $500 today. Got a whopping 14,100 out of it. How thrilling...

You'll be OK Matt just tighten your belt for awhile

Ohhh, we've been doing that almost forever, so no worries. We're used to it. :-) Nah, we always have money, and we never go without. Well, except a few times I guess. It's just we're not exactly taking nice trips to Phuket, and staying at fancy 5 star resorts. Oh well, that'll all change soon enough, so no worries.

It's actually good though. Having us on more of level ground like this for so long has definitely helped the relationship, I'm sure. That, and it's always nice when I meet some new guy, we're having a couple beers, and he proceeds to say something like, "Ohhh, trust me, I know Thai people. If you think he loves you, you better hope your money doesn't ever run out.". To which I can always reply with a smile, "well, money has run out loads of times, and he's still with me". :-)

cdnmatt
November 11th, 2010, 16:08
If you're earning in USDs you better make those millions now!

Yeah, got a new system coming online within a week hopefully, and have been thinking of selling in Euros. But still, the euro is extremely volatile as well, so doubt that would help anything.

I know! I'll link my prices & rates to the spot price of gold. That should solve it, lol.

November 11th, 2010, 16:34
Good to see that the customary arguing and bickering over a 0.3B advantage on the exchange rate is being maintained- surpassed only by a lively discussion on which particular exchange booth to take a taxi to for that 30 satang scoop.

Dunno about you guys but this is the kind of stuff that keeps me rivetted to this board - not quite as exciting as where to get a beer for 99B instead of 100B, but I always like to give due credit for effort.

I would mention that somebody lit a cigarette in the Corner Bar last night - but I wouldn't want you creaming your shorts as the laundry bill might wipe out the exchange rate "coup" you got yesterday.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
November 11th, 2010, 17:24
LOL Scottish...

Come on... Now personally as a fly in fly out traveler I'm not heavily bothered if I have to add $1,000 to the budget for my next overseas trip (never spend it all anyway) because the Aussie dollar has dipped (it did dip down to 0.7/1.0 [AUD/USD] earlier this year compared with almost 1/1 now) but for someone who's actually living in Thailand while earning from Western clients it would kind of suck to see your income eroded by 5% here, 10% there and worrying how much worse it might get.

If you want to rant about someone have a go at the French... who are apparently rioting because they will not longer get 6 weeks paid annual holiday and retirement at age 60 or whatever it is (can't recall exact figures).

November 11th, 2010, 23:08
I would mention that somebody lit a cigarette in the Corner Bar last night :occasion9:

I hope you are not sharing a table in The Corner Bar with you know who, who likes to spend the occasional night on the toilet floor Scotty!

cdnmatt
November 11th, 2010, 23:52
Good to see that the customary arguing and bickering over a 0.3B advantage on the exchange rate is being maintained

ehhh... come on now. I think taking a 12% pay cut in like 6 months is a legitimate gripe. According to several European countries, less than that is enough to have mass riots and burn banks down. Plus you have globalization, recessions, credit not freely flowing, etc... money just doesn't flow as easily as it did 5 - 10 years ago.

Ohhh, well... mai bpen lai. Seems like a good time for some Bob Marley. :-)

[youtube:n2cfdm5u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mACqcZZwG0k[/youtube:n2cfdm5u]

November 12th, 2010, 01:29
Plus after just seeing how crap the exchange rate is for us Brits I've just realised that I'm going to have to up my go-go spending budget by over 20% since my trip in July last year just to stand still ! - oh well needs must - lets face it I would rather eat less than travel all that way and do "without" lol

pong
November 12th, 2010, 16:37
yes-also we EURO users got hit-last year nearly 50, now just 40-41 for 1. But baht prices for all daily needs (room, food, bus, etc. )are hardly changed.
Buty here in BKK it is easy to go suburban-takes a little longer, but local Thai prices and not the overheated Hotmail/Twyly-scene.

Beachlover
November 12th, 2010, 19:53
I would mention that somebody lit a cigarette in the Corner Bar last night :occasion9:
I hope you are not sharing a table in The Corner Bar with you know who, who likes to spend the occasional night on the toilet floor Scotty!
You mean Undaunted? When he passed out drunk and was locked in the Corner Bar toilet overnight do you think he was lying in a puddle of stinking urine, a pool of filthy vomit or both?

Beachlover
November 12th, 2010, 19:54
Plus after just seeing how crap the exchange rate is for us Brits I've just realised that I'm going to have to up my go-go spending budget by over 20% since my trip in July last year just to stand still ! - oh well needs must - lets face it I would rather eat less than travel all that way and do "without" lol
Got to admit, you Brits have had a rough ride. I remember back when the UK Pound was worth AUD$2.50. Now it's only worth about AUD$1.50 - ouch!

November 12th, 2010, 22:07
Good to see that the customary arguing and bickering over a 0.3B advantage on the exchange rate is being maintained

ehhh... come on now. I think taking a 12% pay cut in like 6 months is a legitimate gripe.

Oh, it is, it is, and I completely agree - but that isn't what I'm commenting on!

I'm commenting on how interesting or necessary it is to have a debate about where to get a 30 satang advantage on the exchange rate.

:bee: