View Full Version : What to do with тВм100.000 (4.000.000 Baht)

Cees-Holland
November 10th, 2010, 00:16
Lets say that I wil get тВм100.000 and I can do with it what I want.
This is a one time extra money and next to my monthly here-in-Thailand-spendable-income (50k baht/month).

I am to young to retire, but no need for me to stay in Holland (one or two visits to Holland per year are enough).
(Since it is illegal to work in Thailand, I will not work with my laptop on my internet based company

Thing I need:
-fast enough internet, to not work.
-People to speak with about worldly things (politics etc).

Things I like:
-Cinema once or twice per month.
-Non-tech areas. I love Isaan villages.
-Grow some food to eat, when I am not "not working".
-Sit outside when I am "not working".
-Kick-ass 50" TV set with matching sound system.
-Visiting new places, travelling around by bus or train (not want to drive a car myself).
-Visiting Lotus or BigC once per month for some farang things (peanut butter, mosquito repellent etc.)
-Help people and share knowledge.

Things I don't need so much:
-Sitting at a beach or poll side.
-Renting one night stands (I have bf earns 6K baht/month, can spend on whatever he wants).

So, what can I do with it and how long will that money last.

I like to hear your idea.

(The lottery draw is soon, i keep my fingers crossed :glasses7: )

November 10th, 2010, 00:41
Should you receive an invitation to discuss possible investment of your 4 million Baht which arrives on perfumed notepaper and which originates from Pattayaland Soi 3, I would advise getting out of Thailand altogether.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

cdnmatt
November 10th, 2010, 01:36
Personally, from what you wrote, I'd recommend Khon Kaen. It's a great little city.

Centrally located, and loads of Issan villages all around for you.
[/*:m:288fyyhw]
Small enough to be comfortable, yet large enough to get anything & everything you want, plus basically do anything & everything.
Has Big C, a few Tescos, Tukom, a few large malls, and department stores for basically all tastes & price ranges.
University city, so internet is excellent. Ranges from 600 baht/month for 6Mpbs down/0.5Mbps up, all the way to 3000/month for 20Mbps down/4 Mbps up.
You can buy / build a nice house for say 1.5 - 2 million baht, but personally, I wouldn't recommend it. Why bother when rent is so cheap? We're in a nice, large 4 bedroom, 2 storey, 2 bathroom house for 4500/month. Or you can get an absolute mansion for say 14,000/month. Only reason I'd ever buy / build would be to ensure Kim is secure in case something ever happens to me / us.
Festivals like Songkran and Loy Kratong are great fun up here.
Up to your personality, but personally I love the sub-urban lifestyle up here. Nice neighborhoods all around, you get to know your neighbors, everyone's a good person, nobody judges you, and it just makes for a nice, relaxing, comfortable life. Depending on the subdivision, there's loads of farang around (thankfully, there's only me and one other in this subdivision). If you ever get lonely, just sit at one of the many drinking holes around, usually infront of a convenience store, have a couple beers, and you'll meet people no problem.
If you like your nightlife, lots of large clubs & discos around, and many (most?) of them have live entertainment every night.
There's a couple cinemas in town, but I don't think either of the play English movies though. So you'd be stuck watching them at home.
No "official" gay scene here, but then this is Thailand. If you want to see gay people, just walk outside. Plus large university city, so loads of young, cute, gay village uni boys around for you.
Other pitfall is public transportation, especially if you live on the outskirts of town. During the day it's excellent, and there's songtaews every few minutes, plus loads of tuk-tuks & motorcycle taxis in town. Come about 8pm though, songtaews are done, and come midnight you'll be lucky to find a tuk-tuk or motorcycle taxi. So if you want to go partying until 3am, you either need to ensure you have a ride home, or pay a tuk-tuk to sleep in the parking lot of the club while you party.[/*:m:288fyyhw]

I don't know, but I can recommend KK. I think it's an excellent city, or at least for me personally it is. Even if Kim and myself broke up, and I ended up going back to Canada or Europe for a while, I'm pretty certain I'd find myself living in KK again within the near future.

Diec
November 10th, 2010, 01:39
Sounds like you want to retire to me. If this is the case sugar, it's not enough money. Most of us on this board are very wealthy and the money you describe would probably be good for about 5 years. Since you claim you are too young to retire, I suggest you don't. Maybe you could take a few years off from work and then jump back into managing or owning a multi million dollar business until you have enough money to fully retire.

cdnmatt
November 10th, 2010, 01:44
Sounds like you want to retire to me. If this is the case sugar, it's not enough money.

He's not retiring. He's going to "not work" on his internet business. Can't you read?

November 10th, 2010, 04:45
You should check out Khon Kaen as Matt suggests it's a great city with lots to see and do within the surrounding area. You don't say if you already have a Thai boyfriend? If you do check out his home area if not you will soon meet guys in K.K.
BTW if your work is internet based then you will have no problem working from your place in Thailand if you want to. Again Matt has given good advice on broadband speeds and costs.

Beachlover
November 11th, 2010, 17:47
Why bother when rent is so cheap? We're in a nice, large 4 bedroom, 2 storey, 2 bathroom house for 4500/month. Or you can get an absolute mansion for say 14,000/month.
WTF... 4,500/month for 4 bedrooms? That's about 1,000 baht or AUD$35 per week!

Fuck me.

For $35 in Sydney, Australia, you might get to share a room with 7 others in a backpacker hostel for one night. You can barely rent a car for one day for that amount. Shit, I spent more than $35 on breakfast/lunch/coffee in the office alone today. Average round of drinks at a bar costs more than $35 here.

That's geographical arbitrage at it's best! Earning Western dollars from Western clients while living in a dirt cheap city on the other side of the world in, might I add, not too shabby conditions either! You filthy capitalist :king:

Cees-Holland
November 11th, 2010, 18:31
WTF... 4,500/month for 4 bedrooms?

I think he has more value for his money then I do .

My first rent was 2500Baht, second house was 4500Baht (Both: in Hua Hin, one floor, 2 bedrooms, one Hong Nam and no garden).
Third (current) house in Chon Buri is 4000Baht. One floor total about 90m2, big living room, two big bedrooms, one small bathroom and a huge garden in the back of the house (smaller one in the front). Garden is about 100m2 in total.

The houses I have rented so far are all newish, 2-3 years old and without furniture.
Btw the rent of the current house went up from тВм80,-/month in January to a тВм100,-/month in May...... cos of the Euro.

With the same тВм80,- one could stay one night in a (cheap) hotel here in Holland.
In Holland I would pay for the same house around тВм300-тВм400/month (and another тВм200,-/month to keep the place warm etc.).

Beachlover
November 11th, 2010, 18:33
Lets say that I wil get тВм100.000 and I can do with it what I want.
This is a one time extra money and next to my monthly here-in-Thailand-spendable-income (50k baht/month).
Does everyone realise this is an entirely hypothetical/fantasy thing?...

100k Euros (AUD$130k) wouldn't make a huge difference to me so I'd probably just chuck it in my cash pot to be invested.

But assuming it HAD to be spent, I'd probably force my parents to take a holiday by buying them a holiday (first class) to somewhere exotic. Might also give the 20 odd family members close to me a week or weekend somewhere cool like the Marina Bay Sands Resort in Singapore, Disneyland in Hong Kong (for the kids), Langkawi Island in Malaysia or Krabi in Thailand.

For me, I'd probably travel a bit more luxuriously (instead of economy class) and do a few month-long trips scattered throughout the year to more expensive destinations (for me) like Europe or South America. Maybe take a cute Thai boy I know for a couple of nights in the Burj Al Arab in Dubai. Fly out for a couple of 3-4 night weekends in Asia during the year to break up the work marathon here. Splash out...

For YOU, considering the needs/desires you laid out, Matt's Khon Kaen suggestion sounds great. Base yourself there living cheap as chips and do a couple of trips to interesting destinations throughout the year. Chiang Mai is larger and also quite cheap relative to Bangkok.

Beachlover
November 11th, 2010, 18:38
My first rent was 2500Baht, second house was 4500Baht (Both: in Hua Hin, one floor, 2 bedrooms, one Hong Nam and no garden).
Third (current) house in Chon Buri is 4000Baht. One floor total about 90m2, big living room, two big bedrooms, one small bathroom and a huge garden in the back of the house (smaller one in the front). Garden is about 100m2 in total.

The houses I have rented so far are all newish, 2-3 years old and without furniture.
Btw the rent of the current house went up from тВм80,-/month in January to a тВм100,-/month in May...... cos of the Euro.
Cripes... I didn't know living in Thailand (not in a rural area, still in a city) could be so absurdly cheap. Monthly rent is less than what we would spend on dinner a few drinks here. :crybaby:

Cees-Holland
November 11th, 2010, 18:45
Does everyone realise this is an entirely hypothetical/fantasy thing?... .

I think most mist it :sunny:

FYI: won тВм7,50 in the lottery, so nothing will change. I will have to make due with my current earnings :(

Beachlover
November 11th, 2010, 19:23
Does everyone realise this is an entirely hypothetical/fantasy thing?... .
I think most mist it :sunny:
You tricky tricky white boy :occasion9:

November 11th, 2010, 19:59
Give it to me,I'll look after it for you!! :sign3:

pong
November 12th, 2010, 16:43
beste Cees-elke stad (als dat nou perse isan moet wezen) voldoet wel aan wat cdnmatt opnoteerde, kijk maar naar de lijst van BigC/Tesco. Als je (wat ik hier inderdaad ook mis-maar ik heb al lang gekozen enkel cool season hier te blijven) wat wil ouwehoere/diskusjeren, zoek dan eentje waar tenminste wat NLers wonen -of anderen, die dat ook wel willen. En dat varieert nogal van plek tot plek. Voor NL (lang niet altijd aanbevelenswaardig)-kijk op thailandforum.nl. Chiang Mai zou voor mij dan ook hoge ogen scoren.
1 bezwaar hebben al die plaatsen wel: het hangt er maar net vanaf waar je woont en hoe de plaatselijke tuktuks/songhthaews werken of je verplaatsen te doen is of the veel problems oplevert.

November 12th, 2010, 16:55
Absolutely

Whatever.

:laughing3: Do you want my bank account details??

November 12th, 2010, 16:56
You could invest it, I would prefer something safe, but if not just live of it, and continue to work, otherwise you will eventually run out of course, depending on your lifestyle.

November 12th, 2010, 18:36
I don't know, but I can recommend KK. I think it's an excellent city, or at least for me personally it is. Even if Kim and myself broke up, and I ended up going back to Canada or Europe for a while, I'm pretty certain I'd find myself living in KK again within the near future.

Matt, you make a great case for KK. Whatever Cees decides to do, I think I'll definitely check it out as a possible location for future living.

Can you tell me something? Are there any schools that you see advertise assistance with the Ed Visa? I'm thinking of the 4 hour/week type courses that are popular in places like Pattaya/Bangkok. I couldn't find any KK Ed Visa places on the internet.

cdnmatt
November 12th, 2010, 21:24
Does everyone realise this is an entirely hypothetical/fantasy thing?...

Of course, but I also realize there's more people than just Cees-Holland who read the board, and would be interested in the subject. :)

Can you tell me something? Are there any schools that you see advertise assistance with the Ed Visa? I'm thinking of the 4 hour/week type courses that are popular in places like Pattaya/Bangkok. I couldn't find any KK Ed Visa places on the internet.

Honestly, no idea, and haven't personally seen any around. I'm sure it exists though. If you're actually serious, drop me a PM, and I'll ask around for you.

That's actually one thing about KK versus say Bangkok or Pattaya. If you're going to live here, you should put in the hours to learn some Thai. Otherwise, you're probably going to be stuck at some serviced apartment paying 18,000/month for a studio, and hang out at the farang area all the time which charges 300% more than anywhere else in town. Much better experience if you know some Thai.

Cees-Holland
November 12th, 2010, 23:45
Been to KK 3 (short) times now (on route to Nong Bua Lam Phu).
I was there that I got introduced to Isaan BBQ.
A befriended tuk-tuk driver's phone number on speed dial is useful when in KK. Meself, I have no clue how the songtaews work. We only dared to use them when a Local was our guide.
The "farang density" seems to be low, I saw only a few. That means speaking a few Thai words or have a Thai partner is essential to prevent total social isolation.

I met a few uni-Students (friends of my BF). Although I saw they were using English books they were not able to speak any English. Later we were invited to the house of one these students for a meal. There I spoke with the father, mother, brothers and sisters using my hands, arms, legs and lots of OK's. Perfect!

What I did notice was the early-sleeping-time. In Hua Hin of Udon Thani around 21.00 there is still lots of activity outside. In KK everything is dark and closed around that time (no a problem, just an observation).

I think if you want to escape the farang-places and life in "a more the Thai Way" KK is definite a good option.
- Good transport connections north (Udon, Nong Kai) and south, bus and train.
- Big hospital, but in a Thai way: 20 people in one room.
- ADSL in many area's .
- Big shopping malls available for farang things.
- Cold season is actually chilly after sun set.

cdnmatt
November 13th, 2010, 00:47
Just to dis-spell a couple misconceptions:

I have no clue how the songtaews work. We only dared to use them when a Local was our guide.

Yeah, I'll agree, the songtaews are a bit complex. Neither Kim or myself even know the routes. I know the routes I need to know, and that's good enough. At least they're colored & numbered though. Beats somewhere like Pattaya, where you hop on and hope the driver is going where you want him to. At least in KK if I hop on dark red #12 for example, I know where I'm going. That's the same with any city though. If you're going to live there, and use public transit, you need to learn the bus routes.

The "farang density" seems to be low, I saw only a few. That means speaking a few Thai words or have a Thai partner is essential to prevent total social isolation.

There's loads, and loads of farang in KK. It's just the vast majority of us aren't here for the party life, so you're not going to see us on the streets or in the bars too often. Don't worry, there's lots of farangs around.

I met a few uni-Students (friends of my BF). Although I saw they were using English books they were not able to speak any English. Later we were invited to the house of one these students for a meal. There I spoke with the father, mother, brothers and sisters using my hands, arms, legs and lots of OK's. Perfect!

Yeah, if you want to live here, you better brush up on your Thai. I'll admit to that. You can still live a good life without knowing Thai, but it's best to put in the hours to learn it.

What I did notice was the early-sleeping-time. In Hua Hin of Udon Thani around 21.00 there is still lots of activity outside. In KK everything is dark and closed around that time (no a problem, just an observation).

You must have visited a different KK than I live in than, because there's loads of clubs that stay open until around 3am. And large clubs too that probably fit 400 - 600 people, have live bands every night, etc. Then if you still want to party after that, there's tons of small karaokes all over the place that will stay open until 8am if you're going to spend money there. After that, you go home, where everyone has a couple more drinks while they pass out. We don't do that at all anymore really, because it's boring now, but used to every once in a while. Don't worry, party life is here if you want it. :-)

Big hospital, but in a Thai way: 20 people in one room.

Sorry, but you're wrong there too. There's two (maybe three) large hospitals in KK, and they're excellent. For example, I have a friend who ended up with "gold staff" (is that right?) infection in his leg, and was at risk of having his leg cut off. He spent a week or two in the hospital. He had his own private room, and it was probably nicer than more hotels you guys stay at. Had TV, internet, microwave, nice bed, and so on. Cost 2000 baht/day for the room itself, but nonetheless, he was well taken care of and didn't lose his leg thanks to the doctors.

November 14th, 2010, 15:10
Just to dis-spell a couple misconceptions:

Yeah, if you want to live here, you better brush up on your Thai. I'll admit to that. You can still live a good life without knowing Thai, but it's best to put in the hours to learn it.

Thanks for all the additional info. About the language - I'm already learning Thai . . . but is there any truth to the rumour that one would be better off with Lao or another language?

cdnmatt
November 14th, 2010, 15:48
Thanks for all the additional info. About the language - I'm already learning Thai . . . but is there any truth to the rumour that one would be better off with Lao or another language?

Ummm... yes, they speak "Issan" up here, which is a mixture of Thai and Lao. I'd recommend learning Thai, because that's what is taught in school, and everyone knows Thai, so everyone will understand you. Then learn some Lao on the side, but never speak it. Only use Lao to listen into conversations, but always talk in Thai. If you speak in Lao, everyone is going to think you're an idiot, and hysterically laugh at you.

Trust me, I'm subjected to it every few days, while having some beers with a good friend. He still believes they're laughing at him because they're impressed he can speak Issan, which isn't true. They're laughing at him because he's the idiot farang who is speaking the poor man's language. Any time I accidentally mutter a phrase in Lao, especially if we're around other people, Kim will scold me for it.

For example, that's also why Kim's little brother only speaks to me in Bangkok Thai (pronounces р╕г as an "R", not "L" sound). That's the hi-so language here, and he wants to impress me. They learn Thai at school, but speak Lao at home. Lao isn't a language farangs are supposed to speak up here though. Lao is for the uneducated, poor farmers, not farangs.

So basically, learn Thai, speak Thai, and learn some Lao on the side so you can listen in. Never speak Lao though.

pong
November 15th, 2010, 08:58
OK-but then back to the first Question. Forget that house etc. You get bored anyway in faraway isan after a few years.
Imitate that prince of Lignac. (other nations probably have no clue of who he was-but what he did, after selling a bisnis for a few million, was both great entertaining and clever though out).
he had a yaught being made to his private wishes-we hail from a country that is also pretty big in shipbuilding. He sailed to Asia and hired an adorable crew of 100 or so lads, many more as were needed for the basic sailing and maintenance. Swapped countries- Thailand, Phillippine, Sri lanka, Indonesia, and always for just 1 year (or maybe 9 month-avoiding some bad wheather). Must have been a joy to select these lads. Then he sailed around the world and visited all kind of hi-so parties, invited guests and those boys gave premium service. Came in the newspapers once a month or so with that.
For that 1 grand you could at least do that for a few weeks for maybe 5-10 years (depending on return of the untouched amount).

November 15th, 2010, 12:12
Honestly, no idea, and haven't personally seen any around. I'm sure it exists though. If you're actually serious, drop me a PM, and I'll ask around for you.

Thanks Matt, I sent you a PM - I'd be grateful if you'd just keep an eye out for it. These kind of places tend to advertise heavily when they are around.

Beachlover
November 15th, 2010, 18:13
OK-but then back to the first Question. Forget that house etc. You get bored anyway in faraway isan after a few years.
Imitate that prince of Lignac. (other nations probably have no clue of who he was-but what he did, after selling a bisnis for a few million, was both great entertaining and clever though out).he had a yaught being made to his private wishes-we hail from a country that is also pretty big in shipbuilding. He sailed to Asia and hired an adorable crew of 100 or so lads, many more as were needed for the basic sailing and maintenance. Swapped countries- Thailand, Phillippine, Sri lanka, Indonesia, and always for just 1 year (or maybe 9 month-avoiding some bad wheather). Must have been a joy to select these lads. Then he sailed around the world and visited all kind of hi-so parties, invited guests and those boys gave premium service. Came in the newspapers once a month or so with that.

Holy crap... What a life: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_van_Leeuwen

Van Leeuwen grew up in Rotterdam under poverish circumstances... promised himself to become rich and successful in life...

Van Leeuwen was seen as an eccentric member of the jet set, living on board of his mega-ship New Horizon L built by Feadship/Royal van Lent shipyard. He received many guests on board of this 60 meter long ship, where even the air-outlets are said to be solid gold....

Van Leeuwen was openly homosexual, which was extremely controversial in the years immediately following World War Two. This openness drew substantial attention from gossip magazines, as did his penchant for hosting extremely lavish parties, and the fact that the servants on his yacht were exclusively Asian males; when asked why he hired only Asian males for these positions, van Leeuwen said only that they "serve the best"...
[youtube:203svpnr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9mZ387kgY[/youtube:203svpnr]

Cees-Holland
November 15th, 2010, 19:13
...Forget that house etc. You get bored anyway in faraway isan after a few years...
Imitate that prince of Lignac. .. He sailed to Asia and hired an adorable crew of 100 or so lads..
For that 1 grand you could at least do that for a few weeks for maybe 5-10 years...

Holy crap... What a life: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_van_Leeuwen

Thanks for the video and info!
Until now I never heard of my fellow countryman "prince of Lignac".

I am sure he had a good life :)
Sleeping in a bulletproof bedroom is not really my idea of having a good time.
But then again I never had "an adorable crew of 100" at my disposal, not even in my fantasy.
I will take it under consideration* :bounce:

(*=Don't tell BF)

Wesley
November 17th, 2010, 11:52
party you ass off dude!

can't take it with you.