PDA

View Full Version : Phuket Jet Ski Reminder - DON'T RIDE THEM

Beachlover
November 7th, 2010, 18:55
It seems the big fuss kicked up about jet ski scams in Phuket hasn't changed anything at all...

"JJ Naiman", the jet ski rental thug who was filmed threatening Royal Marines on leave is back at it again. This time he was photographed extorting cash from a group of young Malaysian tourists (some cute shirtless Malaysian boys in the photos here): http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/10/ ... eal-truth/ (http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/10/12/phuket-jet-ski-frauds-the-real-truth/)

... Man, that JJ Naiman is one ugly f*cker.

Beachlover
November 7th, 2010, 19:08
These jet ski guys are absolute f*cksticks. So are the local police...

See what they did to ruin one family's holiday.

Go to page 21 of the newspaper: http://phuketgazette.net/digitalgazette ... 259&Cat=34 (http://phuketgazette.net/digitalgazette3/Aug15_09.pdf?thequerytype=&id=76259&Cat=34)

Fortunately, in this case the family won. They brought in a local lawyer who slammed the jet ski thugs and their corrupt police.

November 7th, 2010, 19:20
The trouble is unsuspecting tourists believe that business owners running rental sites such as the Jet Ski ones are above board until something like that happens. Not being able to turn to a 'non corrupt' police force doesn't help matters either. Like most rip off scams the big boys who run them all are way above the law, in fact they may well be members of the police force!

November 7th, 2010, 19:31
It seems the big fuss kicked up about jet ski scams in Phuket hasn't changed anything at all...

"JJ Naiman", the jet ski rental thug who was filmed threatening Royal Marines on leave is back at it again. This time he was photographed extorting cash from a group of young Malaysian tourists (some cute shirtless Malaysian boys in the photos here): http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/10/ ... eal-truth/ (http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/10/12/phuket-jet-ski-frauds-the-real-truth/)

... Man, that JJ Naiman is one ugly f*cker.

....so are the "cute shirtless malaysian boys" ... when did you last have an eyesight test?

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Beachlover
November 7th, 2010, 20:03
The trouble is unsuspecting tourists believe that business owners running rental sites such as the Jet Ski ones are above board until something like that happens. Not being able to turn to a 'non corrupt' police force doesn't help matters either. Like most rip off scams the big boys who run them all are way above the law, in fact they may well be members of the police force!

It's pretty fucked how well integrated the jet ski business and police operations are. The jet ski operators can have the police confiscate your passport and the police will pretty much always side with the scammers unless they are forced to do otherwise.

In the case of the family above (in the Phuket Gazette linked article) they only got away because they called a good lawyer who was able to demolish both the police and jet ski operators' case.

thrillbill
November 7th, 2010, 20:40
There's a report on ThaiVisa forum (Pattaya) about a scam with the jet ski folks along the beach in front of Royal Garden shopping center. My suggestion is that the "renter" takes pictures of all the scratches and dents or inspects the jet ski with the "owner" before taking off. My understanding with the scam in Pattaya is that the police are in on it. They don't do anything.

Brad the Impala
November 8th, 2010, 00:48
I am sure that this scam is still going on, as it has for many years, but worth pointing out that this particular report is from a newspaper several months old. What are you doing reading such old newspapers BL?! Although the facility to read full papers online, rather than just the online version is great. Do you subscribe? How many papers do you read? I find it hard enough to find the time just to read my daily print version.

Beachlover
November 8th, 2010, 17:52
worth pointing out that this particular report is from a newspaper several months old. What are you doing reading such old newspapers BL?! Although the facility to read full papers online, rather than just the online version is great. Do you subscribe? How many papers do you read? I find it hard enough to find the time just to read my daily print version.
There was a comment on the Andrew Drummond website with a link to this old edition of the newspaper and a comment to search for the name Herston or something - as an example of someone who managed to outsmart the jet ski scammers and get away with paying them nothing. That's how I came across it.

I am sure that this scam is still going on, as it has for many years
I know this scam has gone on for many years. But after the huge fuss that was kicked up last year with local authorities forcing operators to take on insurance, I thought there was a chance (even if small) that there would be some change.

It's possible the scam has now been scaled back a little or has had some restrictions placed on it, but it is definitely still operating.

This is seemingly insightful a comment on the Andrew Drummond website from one local resident:

I live in Phuket and I am really thinking about leaving. ItтАЩs a beautiful place but the corruption has really got out of hand.

The only hope for Phuket is the central govenment in Bangkok doing something.

The Phuket Police are a joke and corrupt. I know several farang business that were shaken down by the Phuket police. It was pay up or go to jail for crimes like not having a music license. These are small business and 30,000 baht is a lot of money. The police wanted 60,000 baht but settled for 30,000 after having owner in handcuffs for fours hours and sitting at the police station. Of course he did not get a reciept for payment of fines.

These are all to common situations in Phuket.

The tuk tuks mafia is hugh problem that is hurting Phuket. This is one of the reasons Phuket does not have real public transportation like other parts of Thailand. The local govenment just talks and does nothing.

The roads are very dangerous in Phuket and lots of tourists are getting hurt riding motor bikes because you can rent a motor bike for less then the minium price of one tuk tuk ride in Patong.

This article provides some indication as to how heavy and ingrained corruption on the island of Phuket is: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-cor ... ims-13064/ (http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-corruption-enough-venue-victims-13064/)

Phuket Corruption: Enough, Say Patong Victims

THE FULL EXTENT of corruption on Phuket was revealed today when the head of Patong's entertainment association said that local venues were prepared to continue to make corrupt payments to 14 government offices and branches - but that was enough.

Requests from three additional government bodies to also gain under the table payments have the Phuket venues throwing up their hands saying, in effect: ''We can tolerate corruption, but anything beyond 14 organisations is just plain greedy.''

Today's revelation would have little meaning for the thousands of tourists who descend on Phuket, except that all the costs of corruption are passed on. The tourists are the ones who pay.

If the tourists happen to be among those who enjoy partying beyond Phuket's legal closing time, then they are also among those who benefit.

Weerawit Kuresombut, President of the Entertainment Association in Patong, made his feelings known this afternoon at a public seminar called by the Mayor of Patong, Pian Keesin, to discuss 'The Future of Patong.'

Phuket people had widely discussed in advance that Patong's overdose of corruption would be the key topic.

''We are happy to pay 14,'' said Khun Weerawit, who represents about 400 bars and clubs in Patong. ''But if other groups come to ask, we will need to negotiate with them first. If we cannot make a deal, we cannot guarantee what is going to happen.''

Phuketwan understands that there are about 500 retail outlets in Patong, both large and small, that also make corrupt payments to a number of government offices and branches. Again, all the extra costs eventually are passed on to tourists.

At the completion of today's seminar, Khun Weerawit told journalists in an interview that small retail outlets usually handed over about 20,000 baht a month in corrupt payments while a large Phuket nightclub would be obliged to give as much as 120,000 baht a month to their 14 ''partners.''

If the payments were not made to the corrupt government branches and offices, prices in Patong would fall by about 50 percent, Khun Weerawit said in response to a question from Phuketwan.

The corrupt payments, always made in cash, are usually recorded in account books as ''rent.'' The system is widely understood and tolerated on Phuket because in the end, it's the tourists who pay.

The seminar at the Loma Park football field in Patong attracted an audience of about 500 people, including a number of vendors and a united group of tuk-tuk, taxi and motorcycle taxi riders. The taxi and tuk-tuk drivers arrived on foot, in a parade, carrying a banner that advocated the building of a tunnel under Patong Hill.

The tunnel is a favorite project of Mayor Pian, whose son Preechavude ''Prab'' Keesin is president of the Taxi Federation of Patong.

Discussion turned to corruption when Khun Prab, sitting in the audience, asked his father a question about parking and noise in Patong.

Mayor Pian said the next generation was smart, but not always direct. ''You are really talking about corruption, right?'' he told his son. ''I will talk to the people who ask the money from you.

''Important people in Bangkok know where the problem is. I will fix it for you.''

Soon after Khun Pian had spoken, Khun Weerawit took the microphone and told the crowd that Patong's venues were prepared to continue to make corrupt payments to the existing 14 government offices and branches - but now several more government organisations were also requesting regular illegal payments.

Next month, 1500 delegates are coming to Bangkok from more than 130 countries for the International Anti-Corruption Conference.

Prime Minister Abhist Vejjajiva has already begun to make remarks about the importance of finding a solution for corruption in Thailand.

The general message is that the prices we pay for services and hospitality would almost halve if they didn't have to pay such large bribes to local government organisations, which keep demanding more and more. The local businesses generally accept having to pay what they pay now because it is generally accepted that it's the tourists who pay (for all the bribes going into corrupt pockets).

The overall implications of all this are:

1. Everything is more expensive in Phuket and a big chunk of what you spend goes into the pockets of corrupt officials. You pay more for an inferior service offering everywhere from accommodation to food.

2. Services and ammenities are shit - no public transport, poor transport options for getting around are crap.

3. Less tourists will visit Phuket. People have a shit experience relative to other holiday places, whether it's scams, overly expensive rates, inconvenient amenities (getting around) or feeling ripped off.

4. To an extent, people are limited to Patong Beach because traveling between Karon and other beaches is a rip off via tuk tuk or dangerous if you choose to hire your own scooter. In Pattaya, you have good, cheap transport so accommodation is spread out and you have lots of options. In Phuket it's a pain in the arse if you don't stay near the centre of Patong Beach. This is very limiting for growth... They NEED a decent public transport system but the government is too happy earning bribes off the tuk tuk mafia to put this in place.

I've also noticed, over the years, the locals have become less and less happy. Phuket feels totally different from the rest of Thailand in terms of what the locals are like. You don't get many smiles. The service mentality is poor and many of the service staff you deal with look tired and unenthusiastic.

Brad the Impala
November 8th, 2010, 18:50
I agree with almost all of your comments, but the fact is that despite the problems in Phuket, the numbers of tourists keep increasing with a forecast 25% increase during this high season compared to last years figures, and the plan is to increase the capacity at Phuket Airport which is now fully stretched at peak periods.

Patong beach may be the destination for gay tourists and sex tourists, but I would guess that at least the same number again, and probably more, of the tourists to Phuket never go to Patong. There are beautiful beaches all around the island. Sometimes I wonder the island doesn't sink under the weight of the developments over the last thirty years.

Beachlover
November 9th, 2010, 18:34
I agree with almost all of your comments, but the fact is that despite the problems in Phuket, the numbers of tourists keep increasing with a forecast 25% increase during this high season compared to last years figures, and the plan is to increase the capacity at Phuket Airport which is now fully stretched at peak periods.

Patong beach may be the destination for gay tourists and sex tourists, but I would guess that at least the same number again, and probably more, of the tourists to Phuket never go to Patong. There are beautiful beaches all around the island. Sometimes I wonder the island doesn't sink under the weight of the developments over the last thirty years.

Phuket has a huge brand, which won't be done away anytime soon. So yes, it'll continue to attract lots of tourists. But it also misses out on a lot of tourists due to these rip offs, brutal scams, price fixing and price gouging. Many local businesses are hurting and struggling. The gay bars in Phuket look even more pitifully short of customers than the Pattaya ones.

Accommodation businesses were hurting so much the local accommodation business association proposed or is proposing to fix a minimum rate, which can be charged for rooms (no idea how exactly this would work). Basically price fixing like they've done with the tuk tuks! They say too many of them are undercutting each other to win over customers. Healthy competition - can't have that! The logic of their thinking is beyond me.

-------------------------------------

http://teakdoor.com/phuket-forum/79829- ... ixing.html (http://teakdoor.com/phuket-forum/79829-phuket-hotels-try-price-fixing.html)

Phuket hoteliers seek solution to price-cutting woes

PHUKET: In a bid to keep small hotels and guesthouses in Patong from falling into bankruptcy, a group called the Patong Hotel and Guesthouse Association (PHGA) is calling for hoteliers to end current price wars by agreeing to set minimum room prices.

The informal consortium of hoteliers wrote in its тАЬLetter of Awareness AwakingтАЭ sent to members last week: тАЬDuring the past high season, even on New YearтАЩs Eve, several hotels where selling good rooms at 700 baht per night. This year, new hotels have opened up nearby and I am afraid that due to competition the prices will go even lower than that,тАЭ the statement read.

"If a solution is not found quickly, for the incoming high season this тАШwar of pricesтАЩ will continue and even though the number of customers may increase, lower room prices will not be sufficient to cover all the costs and many hotels will face bankruptcy,тАЭ it warned.

The letter suggested adopting several тАЬprice seasonsтАЭ and a basic framework for classifying standard rooms so that minimum prices could be agreed on by any hotel joining the campaign.

However, the letter also recognized the limited impact the campaign would have if only a few hotels took part. It also acknowledged that classifying and categorizing rooms would be a тАЬdifficult taskтАЭ.

The PHGA listed a downturn in tourist arrivals, operating cost increases and the strengthening of the Thai baht as factors contributing factors to the crisis, but it identified the main culprit as oversupply.

According to the the most recent Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) figures, Patong has 14,821 rooms in 264 "accommodation establishments", or about one-third of the total 43,036 rooms on the island.

"People do not come to Patong because the rooms cost 500 baht. They are coming anyway and they are used to paying more. It is the тАШwar of pricesтАЩ between the hotels which has set the prices so low," the letter read.

"Even though there is still an economic crisis in [the] USA and in Europe, a room for 1,000 baht is still a cheap room. But of course, if we sell it cheaper, anyone will be glad to pay as [little] as they can,тАЭ it continued.

Bert van Walbeek, chairman of the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Thailand Chapter, supported the call, but said the campaign was unlikely to garner wholesale support.

"I think working on this terrible price dumping that is happening everywhere is very good. ItтАЩs a sad story that the hotel rates in Thailand, including Phuket, are 30% less than anywhere else in Asia,тАЭ he said.

Creating better marketing awareness and sales training would be much more effective than setting certain rates, because implementing something like this in Thailand is тАШmission impossible', he said.

Trying to establishing fixed minimum rates might also run into legal difficulties, he added.

Preechavude тАЬPrapтАЭ Keesin, President of Patong Taxi Federation and son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin, agrees with the proposal.

"If this problem goes on, it may cause business operators to suffer and ruin confidence in investing in Patong,тАЭ Mr Prap said.

"The real problem is that oversupply has forced prices down, and I think it would be better if the prices were regulated,тАЭ he added.

Despite agreeing that a state of oversupply exists, Mr Prap's Pisona Group last week reportedly took the first step towards applying for permission to build a new 744-unit resort across 20 rai high in the Patong hillsides. If completed, the project would be the largest on the island in terms of room numbers.

Phuket Chamber of Commerce (PCC) President Dr Sirichai Silapa-archa disagrees with minimum prices, arguing that the forces of supply and demand should be left alone.

"There should be a better solution. The problem is too many rooms and not enough customers. If prices were set [artificially] high, they wouldnтАЩt sell and trade would go 'underground'," he said.

Suchart Hirankanokkul, President of the Thai Hotels Association (Southern Chapter), was also wary of the legality of such тАШprice fixingтАЩ.

"Actually they cannot do that; itтАЩs competition in the free market and without legal support there would be no way of making sure [PHGA] members cooperate,тАЭ he said.

What they should do is call a meeting and just ask for cooperation to stop the price war,тАЭ he said.

-------------------------------------

And what do you know... while others are concerned about the legality of "price fixing" and say the forces of supply and demand should be left alone... the President of Patong Taxi Federation (also son of the Mayor) agrees with the proposal! Patong taxis supporting price fixing... Funny that.

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2011, 23:07
Some more Aussies have been ripped off...

In this case they did damage the jet skis but the damage can be partly attributed to shoddy repairs and the amount demanded by the operators and police is ridiculous... not to mention, aren't the jet ski hire customers supposed to be protected be mandatory insurance polices taken out by the operators now?

It seems one factor, which helped them was having the phone number for Australia's honorary consul in Phuket, Larry Cunningham.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/aussies-te ... are-14443/ (http://phuketwan.com/tourism/aussies-tell-phuket-jet-ski-scam-nightmare-14443/)

Aussies Tell of Jet-Ski Scam Nightmare

PHUKET: A holidaying Australian couple have told how they were abused and intimidated by Phuket jet-ski operators who sought to rip off the tourists in an extortion scam.

At a Phuket police station, where an officer was supposed to act as the independent mediator in the dispute, the officer handed a passport to the jet-ski operators, one of the Australians said.

The Australian couple, Belinda Josephson, 25, and Abraham Jlailaty, 20, from Sydney, were so concerned about possible repercussions that they spoke to Phuketwan on condition that the account of their experience was not published until after they had left Thailand...

Read more: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/aussies-te ... are-14443/ (http://phuketwan.com/tourism/aussies-tell-phuket-jet-ski-scam-nightmare-14443/)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 3rd, 2011, 02:02
... one factor which helped them was having the phone number for Australia's honorary consul in Phuket...

[attachment=0:2cgawmpc]Australian_Envoy.jpg[/attachment:2cgawmpc]

thenorthguy
August 3rd, 2011, 17:38
An interesting article. Thursday night here in Australia and interesting TV program "Big Trouble In Little Thailand" A typical Jet Ski Scam involving British Naval guys who were accused of damaging a jet ski, although the damage was old. Even with the British Naval Police arriving to assist didn't seem to bother the thai owners who walked away and came back with a shotgun....pay up or else. Why would you even risk riding them 35 minutes for sheer hell that follows.

dab69
August 3rd, 2011, 20:15
And some morons call Pattaya "shitsville"...

August 3rd, 2011, 20:33
Same goes for any 'joy' riding contraptions in Thailand as none of them are covered with full insurance to cover damage to both the machine or user/s. Parasailing is another dangerous sport that comes to mind where tourists have been killed or very badly injured due to poor care and attention by the operator.

August 3rd, 2011, 21:01
Same goes for any 'joy' riding contraptions in Thailand as none of them are covered with full insurance to cover damage to both the machine or user/s. Parasailing is another dangerous sport that comes to mind where tourists have been killed or very badly injured due to poor care and attention by the operator.

Jumping off balconies and indoor bonfires are 2 other hazards.

August 3rd, 2011, 23:26
Jumping off balconies and indoor bonfires are 2 other hazards.

Especially when invited by someone you considered to be your good friend!

Beachlover
August 4th, 2011, 01:21
I had mad fun on the jet skis in Phuket when I first visited Patong Beach. I know better now...

I didn't get scammed but have seen SO MANY farang tourists getting scammed while lying on the beach chilling out. It pisses me off.

An interesting article. Thursday night here in Australia and interesting TV program "Big Trouble In Little Thailand" A typical Jet Ski Scam involving British Naval guys who were accused of damaging a jet ski, although the damage was old. Even with the British Naval Police arriving to assist didn't seem to bother the thai owners who walked away and came back with a shotgun....pay up or else. Why would you even risk riding them 35 minutes for sheer hell that follows.
Is that show being broadcast in Australia now? It was produced for the UK and aired there last year, I think. http://www.andrew-drummond.com has written a bit about what happened.

That incident being broadcast so publicly caused a big shake up of the industry and some changes were made, but since time has passed, it's become evident these were only cosmetic changes. Tourists are STILL being scammed on Patong Beach and the police are STILL colluding with the scammers to help them extract cash from the tourists.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/resources/image/3159
ROFL... That's an almost perfect impersonation of LMTU coming out of a public toilet after one of his sessions sucking random cocks. :rolling:

Just lose the hair and reduce the belly. LMTU used to be fat but lost weight due to cancer derived from an STD he probably got frequenting public toilets to give oral sex. :sign5:

Sen Yai
August 4th, 2011, 03:35
I had mad fun on the jet skis in Phuket when I first visited Patong Beach. I know better now...

I didn't get scammed but have seen SO MANY farang tourists getting scammed while lying on the beach chilling out. It pisses me off.

I had 'mad fun' on the jet skis in Phuket when I first visited Patong Beach too. I've rented one on a few subsequent visits as well. I might rent one again next time I go.

I've never been scammed, and I've never seen anyone else get scammed whilst I (or they) were laying on the beach chilling out either.

So, I'm not pissed off and can't understand what all the fuss is about.

Patexpat
August 4th, 2011, 09:55

I had 'mad fun' on the jet skis in Phuket when I first visited Patong Beach too. I've rented one on a few subsequent visits as well. I might rent one again next time I go.

I've never been scammed, and I've never seen anyone else get scammed whilst I (or they) were laying on the beach chilling out either.

So, I'm not pissed off and can't understand what all the fuss is about.

This is a daily and blatant occurrence not only in Phuket. In Pattaya there are many, many documented events - the current feeling amongst most expats here is that you must be a fool to rent one of these things. Just Google 'Pattaya Jet Ski scam'

Beachlover
August 4th, 2011, 22:55
I've never seen anyone else get scammed
The confrontations can last hours but it's not always obvious to the untrained eye. The thing to look out for is tourists or small groups of tourists pacing around or near the jet skis looking very worried and upset...

Sometimes, when I see this, I go up and say "g'day, you alright?" and the shocked response is usually along the lines of, "they want forty thousand baht for...!".

They're usually quite bewildered and their voice is shaking. The tourists who get hit with this are oblivious and have no idea it's coming. Not very nice at all. With most of them, the feeling is just resigned to, "we have to pay, we got no choice." They don't know the ins and outs of the situation and feel there is no other way out.

thenorthguy
August 5th, 2011, 21:14
Yes I think your right Beachlover....they are all british tourist...