PDA

View Full Version : BKK Trip Report

Rush, Yet Again
November 2nd, 2010, 11:36
Just returned home from a quick trip to Bangkok and thought IтАЩd provide an update on the bars. I managed to hit all the bars on soi twighlight; X-size still seemed to pack in the largest crowds though Dream Boys was quite full, too. All the bars had full on fuck shows.

X-Size has a new number IтАЩd not seen before. Three guys naked and erect sitting on stage in chairs while any customer who wanted to тАШplayтАЩ got a chance of throwing plastic rings in an attempt to land one on one of the guyтАЩs cock. I know, sounds degrading, but the guys were having a lot of fun with it and even helping out a bit by moving their member in the direction the ring was landing. Anyone who succeeded in ringing a cock got a free drink.

All the bars had many more women in attendance than IтАЩve ever seen before - some locals & Asians but quite a few Caucasian ladies travelling in small groups. I know this seems to bother some, but I really donтАЩt care who is in the audience, IтАЩm more concerned about the quality of guys on stage.

Banana (the open air bar at the soi entrance) is open again; theyтАЩd closed down late last July, so it was nice to see all the lights and free-lancers once again crowding the front of the soi.

Future Boys will be reopening Nov 3 as Ocean Boys. I got a sneak preview of the interior and theyтАЩve done a nice job on the remodel. The back row of benches have real comfortable pads on the seats and the back padding has been built out to provide some support for your back. Surprised me in talking with the new owner that he had these built for comfort to entice customers to stay longer - an amazing amount of forethought from what IтАЩve ever seen in Bangkok before! He also asked me to correct the English on their flyers - hard to believe this guy is really Thai!. The stage is a bit smaller now, with a raised dais for coyote dancers. The back set of bleachers (in front of the restrooms) have been removed as has the set to the right when you walk in the door (looks like cafe style tables will be filling this area). Major amounts of AC units and fans in place now too.

Most of the captains are from the former Future boys - circa 2008 - when the place was real popular. Mr. Keem, who has been managing X-Size is moving over, too. Shame my return flight meant missing the opening. Hope someone will drop in and report how things are going after it opens. IтАЩll shut up now before I start sounding like LMTU and doom the place before it even opens.

Dicks has also finished their remolding and there is now a larger (deeper) area of outside sitting available. (Now if theyтАЩd level the damn tables so they donтАЩt rock, and quit serving drinks on plastic coasters that pool with condensation so your glass drips every time you pick it up!)

Tawan had their anniversary show Saturday night with a muscle competition. The place was packed and quite a few of the guys were nicely buffed out. Still doing the pseudo S/M acts though there were no lady boy acts (Thank you god!) and the bottom in the fuck show was a masculine guy. I do wish theyтАЩd get rid of the masks and hoods - I mean almost all the guys have distinctive tats so itтАЩs not like you canтАЩt tell who is whom.

News IтАЩm sure you rabid anti-smokers will cringe about: all the bars (even Dream Boys) allow smoking once again.

Patpong night market is full of vendors again and had a decent amount of customers - back in July the aisles were fairly customerless.

Thanks to the weakened dollar, I switched hotels this trip and tried Glow Trinity, by the Chong Nonsi BTS station (with an up escalator closest to the hotel for those of you who dread those long flights of stairs). Kind of a futuristic styling in the rooms, nice large shower stalls with the shower heads mounted high so my 6тАЩ frame still allowed for water cascading on top of my head. Comfy beds (not real hard), good selection of TV channels, free wireless internet in the rooms and free computer use in the lobby. Breakfast was adequate (buffet) changed a bit daily, and had real coffee instead of the fake pre-creamed/sugared crap so popular in Thailand. I paid around $60 a night for the deluxe room through Agoda. (and no joiner fees either btw).

The weather was incredible! Almost cool. Made for pleasant daily outings without breaking into a sweat.

Marsilius
November 2nd, 2010, 13:16
A very useful report for those of us about to make our end-of-year trip. Many thanks!

Brad the Impala
November 2nd, 2010, 14:37
Excellent report. Thank you

November 2nd, 2010, 16:08
....Three guys naked and erect sitting on stage in chairs while any customer who wanted to тАШplayтАЩ got a chance of throwing plastic rings in an attempt to land one on one of the guyтАЩs cock. I know, sounds degrading.....

You said it!

Makes the "Boy Bingo" in Pattaya sound tasteful.

What next? Dress the boys as seals and the punters can throw fish to them?

What does it say about the character of Farangs who find this sort of display amusing?

Is it that their self-esteem is so low that the only sense of satisfaction they can get is is seeing someone degraded to a lower level than they feel they are at themselves?

Thanks for report though - lets me know where to avoid.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
November 2nd, 2010, 17:06
Nice trip report... Heh... toss the ring on the cock sounds fun.

I switched hotels this trip and tried Glow Trinity, by the Chong Nonsi BTS station (with an up escalator closest to the hotel for those of you who dread those long flights of stairs). Kind of a futuristic styling in the rooms, nice large shower stalls with the shower heads mounted high so my 6тАЩ frame still allowed for water cascading on top of my head. Comfy beds (not real hard), good selection of TV channels, free wireless internet in the rooms and free computer use in the lobby. Breakfast was adequate (buffet) changed a bit daily, and had real coffee instead of the fake pre-creamed/sugared crap so popular in Thailand. I paid around $60 a night for the deluxe room through Agoda. (and no joiner fees either btw).
Hey, good find. This looks like excellent value for a mid-tier hotel. Proximity to the BTS, fair sized pool, good looking rooms and pretty cheap rates. Might check it out if I'm ever on a budget. What are the restaurants/cafes eateries and shops around it like? I stayed nearby to this hotel once but never checked out the location around this spot.

It sounds like the Trinity Group intend to open more Glow Hotels and turn it into a chain.

November 2nd, 2010, 17:10
...Might check it out if I'm ever on a budget...

Heaven forbid, dear.

November 3rd, 2010, 00:47
Similar in price but slightly closer to the BTS station is the Heritage Bangkok.
I've stayed at both the Heritage and Glow and slightly prefer the Heritage.
http://www.theheritagebangkok.com/

thrillbill
November 4th, 2010, 20:43
(more info) The Trinity Glow hotel is behind the Bangkok Bank which there is a soi 5 walks down. The best price for the Trinity Glow Hotel is found on Agoda... around $66 us dollars which includes breakfast. There are cheaper hotels in the Silom area, but the reason my bf and I stay at Glow is because of the free access to the Trinity Complex Apartment's fitness center which is across the soi. There is a small gym, sauna (old), and a HUGE swimmming pool. It is in a quiet area and for us, it takes just 15 minutes for us to walk to soi 4 from the place. Sometimes when we are arriving late Saturday (leave Sunday)in BKK, we check into the Silom Regent Hotel (small) which is located behind Bug and BEE - down from Richard's restaurant. Its basic clean rooms offer a good sleep for 1200 baht. You can't beat its location... close to soi 4 and soi 2 and if you go to GOD, you can stumble out of there at 4 in the morning and be in your hotel room within a minute.

Oh, went to the foam party at BB -- they have cleaned up the showers (finally did a good scrub job); added some new lighting; and the one section with the dark rooms have been renovated with a classier look.

searcher
November 4th, 2010, 22:11
[quote="Rush, Yet Again":2w9zykao]....Three guys naked and erect sitting on stage in chairs while any customer who wanted to тАШplayтАЩ got a chance of throwing plastic rings in an attempt to land one on one of the guyтАЩs cock. I know, sounds degrading.....

You said it!

Makes the "Boy Bingo" in Pattaya sound tasteful.

What next? Dress the boys as seals and the punters can throw fish to them?

What does it say about the character of Farangs who find this sort of display amusing?

Is it that their self-esteem is so low that the only sense of satisfaction they can get is is seeing someone degraded to a lower level than they feel they are at themselves?
I think it says "everything" about the charakter of these guys.Could not agree more with you, Scottish Guy!!
Thanks for report though - lets me know where to avoid.

:occasion9:[/quote:2w9zykao]

Alaan
November 4th, 2010, 23:22
Thanks for the detailed report Rush,yet again.

X-Size has a new number IтАЩd not seen before. Three guys naked and erect sitting on stage in chairs while any customer who wanted to тАШplayтАЩ got a chance of throwing plastic rings in an attempt to land one on one of the guyтАЩs cock. I know, sounds degrading, but the guys were having a lot of fun with it and even helping out a bit by moving their member in the direction the ring was landing. Anyone who succeeded in ringing a cock got a free drink.

Banal games seem to be the latest 'thing' in the agogos it would appear. I was in Bkk with my bf first half of October. One evening to fill in time before heading off to DJ or Rachada we went to Fresh Beach Boys just up and accross from Maxis.

One of the show skits was a big cock show. Then the 10 guys in the show had to play a game of skittles/bowling by using their cock to hit a feeble plastic ball and knock down 10 plastic skittles...... it seemed the longest 20 minutes i've had in a gogo bar. They each had to have 3 tries, the time it took just to set things up for the next guy seemed to take an age. But what amazed me was the crowd's was enthusiasm, with great cheers and tips to the guy who cleared the 10 in one hit. I was the only farang in the fairly big crowd, the rest a mix of Asians, and Asian females who seem to really enjoy the shows. After 20 mins,we were happy just to finish our drinks and be on our way, the 'game' was still in progress. It was neither entertaining or amusing, it was boring and awful, you could see the guys were clearly squirming when it came to their 'turn' I have never seen so many forced smiles.

Banana (the open air bar at the soi entrance) is open again; theyтАЩd closed down late last July, so it was nice to see all the lights and free-lancers once again crowding the front of the soi

Dicks has also finished their remolding and there is now a larger (deeper) area of outside sitting available. (Now if theyтАЩd level the damn tables so they donтАЩt rock, and quit serving drinks on plastic coasters that pool with condensation so your glass drips every time you pick it up!)

Yes when we visited in July Banana was closed and it made the entrance to the soi rather dark. The bar has new owners and a couple of the waiters from there now work at Maxis, one of whom told me that he believed it was sold as it had a lack of custom, he reckoned that although it seems to have a great position at the start of the soi, many potential customers head further into the soi before deciding where to have a drink, so they miss out.

Its a pity Dicks didn't incorporate a slightly raised step for the rear tables, i think thats why Maxis has the best position to take in all the early evening soi traffic, the stepped terrace give all a good view. You are also correct about the tables and glass mats at Dicks, also they dont put napkins out on the tables to mop up. But on a positive note on my return to Bkk before heading back home, after a week of Issan culinery delights, i was craving some farang food, I had their Pork stew again, and it was delicious, very tender lean chunks of pork, tastes just like my old gran used to make back home, not cheap mind but very nice, Tarntawan also does the same dish.

Anybody know where the Cocoa bar is in Soi Twilight?

Beachlover
November 5th, 2010, 16:05
the Silom Regent Hotel (small) which is located behind Bug and BEE - down from Richard's restaurant. Its basic clean rooms offer a good sleep for 1200 baht. You can't beat its location... close to soi 4 and soi 2 and if you go to GOD, you can stumble out of there at 4 in the morning and be in your hotel room within a minute.
Recommend the Ballys Studio Suites Silom for location too... http://www.ballys-studio.com/silom/view ... ?page_id=1 (http://www.ballys-studio.com/silom/viewpage.php?page_id=1) ... Haven't stayed there for two years but last time I found you could bargain their standard rooms down to 1,800 baht (from 2,400 listed rate) and superior rooms can be bargained down to 2,400 baht (from 3,200 listed rate).

This hotel is RIGHT above DJ Station and next to Saladaeng BTS station. The entrance is next to Burger King. Rooms are pretty nice with new fittings. Nice bathrooms. Service is great. Only downside is most rooms have little or no natural light.

went to the foam party at BB
Foam party at Babylon? What's the mix of people like?... Many young Thais?

mix of Asians, and Asian females who seem to really enjoy the shows.
I suppose women ogling and objectifying men is a change from men objectifying women... kind of turns me on seeing them all excited over cocks, to be honest.

sydneyboy
November 5th, 2010, 16:19
Thank you for your excellent report. As a rabid anti smoker I am very depressed that smoking is back.

November 5th, 2010, 16:43
.......As a rabid anti smoker I am very depressed that smoking is back.

And I am very depressed that anybody should be "rabid" about anything far less somebody smoking a cigarette.

LET'S PROBE YOUR INTOLERANCE FURTHER.....

How do you feel about people who are "rabidly" anti-homosexual?

Maybe you have relatives/colleagues/neighours who would be rabidly against middle aged men (and that's being kind) hiring and fucking "boys" half to one third their age?

Do you identify with your fellow rabid-istas?

:occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

sydneyboy
November 6th, 2010, 03:58
I am a civil libertarian. If people wish to kill themselves by cigarette smoking they can but it not my prefered means of departing this life. If I go to a public entertainment venue I resent having to breath dangerous, harmful, foul smelling substances that seriously detract from my enjoyment of the entertainment provided by the venue in question. This is not to mention people I know who suffer from certain medical conditions such as asthma for whom smoking environments are an absolute no no if they wish to avoid immediate and serious ramifications. Inconsiderate smokers have had there own way for far too long. Governments the world over (including my own) have now recognised this and banned smoking from bars, restaurants and places of entertainment.

Beachlover
November 6th, 2010, 14:28
I don't like smoking but I don't mind people smoking outside too much... prefer they didn't but I guess you've got to compromise.

People smoking indoors bothers me though. The smoke hangs about and builds up in the confines of any indoors space. It's shit for everyone's lungs and you walk out of there at the end of the night with your clothes stinking.

November 7th, 2010, 06:05
I don't like smoking but I don't mind people smoking outside too much... prefer they didn't but I guess you've got to compromise.

People smoking indoors bothers me though. The smoke hangs about and builds up in the confines of any indoors space. It's shit for everyone's lungs and you walk out of there at the end of the night with your clothes stinking.

The point is - you "don't like" and it "bothers" you.

That I can understand and accept - I'm a non-smoker myself.

What I can't understand or accept are people becoming "rabid" about it - especially queens living in glass houses.

Beachlover
November 7th, 2010, 06:54
I can understand people being passionate about the annoyance smoking causes to them... but yeah, running around shrieking about it and gloating over smokers isn't terribly nice, nor does it achieve anything, other than making smokers want to annoy them even more.

Diec
November 7th, 2010, 08:15
I can understand people being passionate about the annoyance smoking causes to them... but yeah, running around shrieking about it and gloating over smokers isn't terribly nice, nor does it achieve anything, other than making smokers want to annoy them even more.

Beachbore, do you take a firm stance on anything? I guess you'll say anything so long as you get a chance to post.

November 7th, 2010, 18:01
......... running around shrieking.... isn't terribly nice, nor does it achieve anything, other than making (people) want to annoy them even more.

EXACTLY the position I adopt with certain posters on SGT!!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

cdnmatt
November 7th, 2010, 18:45
Yeah, those smokers are such filthy pigs. If I'm going to travel half-way around the world to be a sex tourist, when I pickup a Thai hooker, I expect the go-go bar filled with old drunks to be clean & sterile damnit!

*takes a long drag from his cigarette*

Beachlover
November 7th, 2010, 20:10
Yeah, those smokers are such filthy pigs. If I'm going to travel half-way around the world to be a sex tourist, when I pickup a Thai hooker, I expect the go-go bar filled with old drunks to be clean & sterile damnit!

Don't care about gogo bars but smoking inside clubs/discos is not nice. They are always completely enclosed spaces so the smoke builds up into a really filthy haze. Not an issue if you're only an occasional visitor but when you're going every night it sucks :( ... DJ Station is pretty good in that they have two convenient smoking balconies where anyone can grab a smoke anytime without going outside completely.

November 7th, 2010, 20:21

Don't care about gogo bars but smoking inside clubs/discos is not nice. They are always completely enclosed spaces so the smoke builds up into a really filthy haze. Not an issue if you're only an occasional visitor but when you're going every night it sucks :( ... DJ Station is pretty good in that they have two convenient smoking balconies.

The trouble is that where smoking has been banned from clubs/discos the experience has been that the smell of the smoke is usually replaced by the smell of the customers. Maybe 200 people, many of whom dancing, all packed into a relatively small area does not make for a pleasant olifactory experience.

As a consequence, some clubs have had to blow fragrance through the air-con systems.

I kid you not.

Beachlover
November 7th, 2010, 20:27
Really?... That's something I read comments about once but never noticed myself. Never had a real issue with smells in clubs myself. Most of them keep their air conditioning ultra cold for this reason, so people don't perspire much.

thrillbill
November 7th, 2010, 20:34
IN Pattaya, I took some visitors to Dave Man's club after 1am. The cigarette smoke was so bad, we left in 30 minutes. It seemed everyone was smoking - especially the young Thai boys who think it is still "cool" to chain smoke. It seems that NAB in Pattaya isn't as bad. (My friends and I (one IS a smoker) said that we seem to notice a smoke filled room since we are use to smoke free buildings.

Yes, it is great that all the bars along soi 2 in silom do not allow smoking inside. I don't mind if people choose to smoke, but smoke outside. If I have to fart, I don't fart in public, I will go outside.