PDA

View Full Version : Time to Bring Gay Rights in Thailand Out of the Closet

netrix
October 31st, 2010, 05:07
Interesting article in The Nation (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/10/30/opinion/Time-to-bring-gay-rights-in-Thailand-out-of-the-cl-30141181.html) about "Widespread ignorance and prejudice" regarding gays in Thailand.

... Thailand should review and revise its curriculum in order to fill the gaps regarding this issue. Offices such as the National Human Rights Commission or the Department of Human Rights and Liberty Promotion under the Justice Ministry should take up the task. They could conduct research to come up with recommendations on how to improve school texts and teaching in this regard....

Hopefully this kind of attention to gay issues will help increase awareness.
In the USA gay bullying and discrimination has been an increasing focus in
mainstream news media. This article is not a strong opinion piece, just a bit
of an expose, but it's interesting the controversy it's stirring in the comments (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/411992-time-to-bring-gay-rights-in-thailand-out-of-the-closet/)
on thaivisa.com. Ignorance is a scary thing, and hatred can be deadly.

Article in The Nation (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/10/30/opinion/Time-to-bring-gay-rights-in-Thailand-out-of-the-cl-30141181.html)
Discussion on ThaiVisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/411992-time-to-bring-gay-rights-in-thailand-out-of-the-closet/)

cdnmatt
October 31st, 2010, 05:25
Read the article, and I have to say, I don't quite agree with it. At least not for Thailand. Malaysia of course is a totally different story, as it's an Islamic state, so of course there's loads of discrimination against gays.

Granted, I'm sure things could still improve as with every problem. However, as for treatment of gays, I would say Thailand is a world-leader, and an example for other countries to follow. Granted, same-sex marriage isn't legal, but being gay in Thailand is much less of an issue than many other countries.

netrix
October 31st, 2010, 05:42
as for treatment of gays, I would say Thailand is a world-leader, and an example for other countries to follow.

yep i'd agree for the most part. it's more a matter of sensitivity and awareness.

the last guy i dated in bkk, when he came out to his parents his dad wanted to
disown him and his mom wept because she thought being gay meant being a
katoey. or in his words, "my mom, she think i want to cut off my dick."

his parents are both university teachers. educated people, and still completely
living in the dark ages on gay issues, even in thailand.

when a gay or ladyboy character is played in a movie, it's almost always a
satire or joke role. news in print and on tv almost always emphasises the
point if a victim or accused person in a crime is gay.

from the article:
ignorant sensationalism fuels prejudice against the gay community.

Beachlover
October 31st, 2010, 09:13
Thailand's the only country I've been where I don't feel the least bit self-conscious about being gay. That's one reason I love it. It's almost a moot point whether or not you are gay. In theory, Their laws might not be perfect but I can't think of another country in the world where they are so accepting about homosexuals in practice.

I think it varies from family to family. A lot of people say middle class Thai families are much less accepting of being gay but the last guy I dated came from a fairly well off working professionals family and his family was pretty open and very accepting with a "you can do what you want" attitude... really loving people.

But yeah, even in Thailand, there's progress to be made.

October 31st, 2010, 11:00
The article is KHRAP because there is no substance to the premise that there is a problem that needs to be addressed here. Why waste time arguing against something so pathetic. I'll wait for some real facts before joining the chorus refuting it, waiting long time.

Wesley
October 31st, 2010, 12:14
as for treatment of gays, I would say Thailand is a world-leader, and an example for other countries to follow.

yep i'd agree for the most part. it's more a matter of sensitivity and awareness.

the last guy i dated in bkk, when he came out to his parents his dad wanted to
disown him and his mom wept because she thought being gay meant being a
katoey. or in his words, "my mom, she think i want to cut off my dick."

his parents are both university teachers. educated people, and still completely
living in the dark ages on gay issues, even in thailand.

when a gay or ladyboy character is played in a movie, it's almost always a
satire or joke role. news in print and on tv almost always emphasises the
point if a victim or accused person in a crime is gay.

from the article:
ignorant sensationalism fuels prejudice against the gay community.

Ignorance was bliss in my case, My dad and Mom never talked about it and although we had 5 bed rooms dad always inist4ed we sleep together. Think mom understood but never talked about it. Dad saw me on the wresting team, offense and defense Football and weight lifting and then track. It never crossed their minds the guys were sleeping over for sex. My lover was 15 I was 17 , they never had an idea , seemed natural to them that boys would play

October 31st, 2010, 19:24
... although we had 5 bed rooms dad always insisted we sleep together.

RE-PHRASE! RE-PHRASE! FOR GOD'S SAKE RE-PHRASE!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: