PDA

View Full Version : Hot wired ... 'Thai Style'

Smiles
April 26th, 2006, 11:08
Noticed . . . and just in time too!

While finishing a run and along the great white hard-sand beach and lastly through the mean streets of Hua Hin, the Beloved screamed a warning from behind to duck.
I was so intent on not committing hari kari by falling into one of the ever-present Thai sidewalk crevasses (bin dere, dun dat ~ in Pattaya last year) that I neglected to check where my head was going . . . in this particular case just about running headlong into a maze of electric wiring hanging down near to waist high. Could've been ugly, but my guy to the rescue as usual (the reaction was impressively knowledge-based, and superbly ingrained) and the only thing to end up happening was me running back there with the camera to take a few shots of the incredible spiderweb of live wiring hanging willy-nilly from somewhere higher above.
What was it connected to? What important function was it an integral part of? Did this Gordian Knot start off this way? Was it to code at any time in the past? ( IS there a code? )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Thailand_2006/ThaiHotWire2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Thailand_2006/thaiHotWire1.jpg

Just in case you're a runner . . . the marvelously long crescent of Hua Hin beach is a delight.

In the morning and again in the evening around 5pm, there's a 10 ft-wide pathway of hard sand perfectly arranged by the tide for a long jog (temperature is about right at those times as well). Thai runners are out in force as well (nice extra eye candy while keeping the fat off), and like runners all over the world, they too give a nod, a smile, or a small wave as you pass each other like the graceful fishing boats out there on the Gulf . . . as if silently acknowledging the fact that each of you are lucky ~ or blessed ~ enough to be running together along this beautiful beach as the sun goes down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Thailand_2006/huahinbeach1.jpg

Cheers ....

wowpow
April 26th, 2006, 11:32
The amazing thing is that after a few years living here you don't often notice the ugly wiring festooning the streets. I do get a bit nervous when crossing a metal pedestrian footbridge.

Pattaya Beach Road was to have the cables put underground and the City Fathers had the annual dig up the road festival and put down pipes but the wires remain?

April 26th, 2006, 11:35
Glad you had a good holiday Smiles. I often wonder the very same question about the wiring in Bangkok's streets, it seems every tree is hot wired,apparently harmless as I saw a squirrel doing a tight rope act along some of them to reach pretty pink blossoms that spiralled down in its wake.

It is bless that they spare the trees a chopping in favour of creative wiring.

April 26th, 2006, 23:44
I have a similar picture I took on Convent Road in Silom. The mass of power lines was so amazing I had to take a picture to show the folks back home LOL